Activities for the Under 3 Crowd

mistybaby

If they are 100% toilet trained, then I think even that young of a child can take part in the AO activities. If they aren't potty trained, it's up to you to entertain...no activities for the diapered set!

Children under the age of 3 cannot participate in Adventure Ocean whether or not they are toilet trained - and, yes, they are very strict even by a day. There is, however, a program for the under 3 set each morning which involves a kind of "mommy and me" session utilizing Fisher Price toys. That's about it. Explorer does not have a water area for the non-toilet trained, but I understand some parents bring a small blow-up pool for the little ones to splash in.

If they are 100% toilet trained, then I think even that young of a child can take part in the AO activities. If they aren't potty trained, it's up to you to entertain...no activities for the diapered set!

Sorry this is not true. They must turn 3 by the day of the cruise. That's why we celebrated my daughter's 3rd birthday on the sailing after her bday. And she had been potty trained by the time she turned 2. So that didn't matter.

Misty - You'll be on Explorer, so if your child is potty trained, then he/she can use the pools. If not, then you will want to bring a small inflatable pool with you.

If you want a night out, RCCL has in cabin sitting for those 1 year and older. You can go to Customer Relations on the first day and book for later in the week. It is limited, so book it as soon as you can. :)

Also, look for the daily Aqua Tot Session - 45 minute daily play session where you can play with your child. It is not conducted in the kids club, but in a separate lounge. I have heard that it is not very organized, but it may give you and your child a chance to play with some toys together.

VOS-AquaTots18-36mos.jpg

Our grand-daughter enjoyed the Aqua-Tots sessions. There was one member of the Adventure Ocean staff there and he was very good and attentive to the little ones.. A parent or adult care-giver must be present with the child. There was a nice selection of Fisher-Price toys. We did not do this, but I have heard that it is possible to "borrow" one of the toys overnight on a sign-out basis (like a library book). Enjoy!!

Our grand-daughter enjoyed the Aqua-Tots sessions. There was one member of the Adventure Ocean staff there and he was very good and attentive to the little ones.. A parent or adult care-giver must be present with the child. There was a nice selection of Fisher-Price toys. We did not do this, but I have heard that it is possible to "borrow" one of the toys overnight on a sign-out basis (like a library book). Enjoy!!

Can you answer a question for me please? :)

Did the AO staff member direct the play in any way, sing songs, do activities...or was he just there while the parents played with the kids?

Thanks!

We did Aqua Tots last year on Enchantment. The leader kind of played with the kids, but didn't really "lead" anything. We only had 1-3 kids at each session, though and they were on the younger side. My little one really enjoyed going there and playing everyday.

We did Aqua Tots last year on Enchantment. The leader kind of played with the kids, but didn't really "lead" anything. We only had 1-3 kids at each session, though and they were on the younger side. My little one really enjoyed going there and playing everyday.

That's what I thought. Thanks. :D

They say in their info that they have "storytime, songs and crafts" but I have yet to find anyone who has seen them actually do that.

Wonder why? :confused:

Oh well. Thanks!

Did the AO staff member direct the play in any way, sing songs, do activities...or was he just there while the parents played with the kids?

Thanks!

We used this program on 3 cruises before our son could attend AO. I think it depends on the AO staff member. In theory each session is supposed to start and end with a song but not all have actually done it. And some have actively helped kids play with the toys and some have sat back and watched. Each day the toys are themed... farm, castle, or home, etc. Ocassionally you get a great AO person. On a castle day one actually brought crayons and paper crowns that the kids could color and then stapled them to fit the kids heads besides having the castle toys for the kids to play with.

We used this program on 3 cruises before our son could attend AO. I think it depends on the AO staff member. In theory each session is supposed to start and end with a song but not all have actually done it. And some have actively helped kids play with the toys and some have sat back and watched. Each day the toys are themed... farm, castle, or home, etc. Ocassionally you get a great AO person. On a castle day one actually brought crayons and paper crowns that the kids could color and then stapled them to fit the kids heads besides having the castle toys for the kids to play with.

Oh good, thanks!

Thanks!

I think your question has been answered and I would agree with what the above posters have said. No songs or stories, but he did play with my gd and offer her other toys, etc. She was 23 months at the time and for a couple of the sessions she was the only child at the session. Maybe if the kids are older and there are more of them, they increase the options???

When we were on the Radiance in 2007, the leader sang songs - each class started out with a greeting song: "Who's come to play today, play today, play today?" Then on to each child individually, "Ryan's come to play today, play today, play today . . ." and so on.

The leader also led the children by showing them the toys and how to play with them and walking around commenting and talking to each child. "Ryan? What animal are you playing with?" "Right, a horse." "What do horses say?" etc.

There was at least one day where the kids were given a coloring sheet, too.

We only went on sea days, so I don't know if that was done every day. The leader said sea days were the most popular days for the class.

We enjoyed it.

Archived