Port times in Hawaii?

richnorto

We are doing the circle Hawaii over Christmas and New Years. I have noticed the port times are rather short. Hilo, Kona, Maui, and Oahu are 8:00 to 5:00 and Kauai 7:00 to 2:00! Other sailings have longer port times ie. Nov 22 with the same itin. has stops until 10:00pm and 11:00pm at Oahu and Maui.

Can anyone tell me if the port times may change as we get closer to sail away? It would be nice to schedule a Luau while in Hawaii but it's not possible with these early departures.

Can anyone tell me if the port times may change as we get closer to sail away?

I would tend to doubt it. Once the schedule is set there's not many reasons that I've ever seen for it to change. Mechanical problems on the ship is one, severe weather is another (including an earthquake in Kona :eek:). A medical emergency is another reason I can think of.

In other words, the only reasons have been something unforeseen, that was beyond HAL's control.

Thank you for your reply Ruth! I'm sure we will find plenty to do and will just have to plan another trip to see and do things which may run later than 4:00.:)

I just replied to you on the other thread.

Ours did change...from 5 PM to 10 PM departure in Honolulu.

Hoping the departure will be extended in Lahaina, as well.

If you look, some of the earlier sailings all had the later departures listed.

Seems like the Fall and early Winter ones all had 5 PM departures listed - at least initially. Not sure why the change, but I welcome it.

I just replied to you on the other thread.

Ours did change...from 5 PM to 10 PM departure in Honolulu.

Hoping the departure will be extended in Lahaina, as well.

If you look, some of the earlier sailings all had the later departures listed.

Seems like the Fall and early Winter ones all had 5 PM departures listed - at least initially. Not sure why the change, but I welcome it.

Thank you so much for the info! I will keep my fingers crossed!:D I hope you get the extra hours in Maui as well!

Laurie

I did not check to see what days they fall on such as Christmas or Christmas Eve; if they are involved, it may be that the tour operators are known to be working shorter hours that day(s) Just a guess.:)

No, actually we are at sea Christmas and Christmas eve. We leave Kona, our last stop at 5:00 New Years eve. That stop should not be delayed as we all want to be on board for the big party. We had a stop in Martinique on Christmas last year (or possibly the year before) and everything was closed ( disappointing). The only stop which should have length issues may be Oahu because it is a Sunday. I'm wondering, as some ports are being extended as the cruises get closer, if they set conservative times to avoid disappointment and extend as docking and engine issues become more comfortable. I'm sure there are people out there that would be demanding refunds if a port time was shortened prior to the cruise based on those who scream about missing a port due to issues which cannot be controlled by the cruise line.:rolleyes:

Good news!!! Just got an email this morning with the extended hours in Honolulu for our Dec 19 sailing!!! I'm dancing now as we get to stay until 10:00pm.:D

That is good news, indeed. I remember how much you wanted the longer port time there. Use it well! :D

We are doing the circle Hawaii over Christmas and New Years. I have noticed the port times are rather short. Hilo, Kona, Maui, and Oahu are 8:00 to 5:00 and Kauai 7:00 to 2:00! Other sailings have longer port times ie. Nov 22 with the same itin. has stops until 10:00pm and 11:00pm at Oahu and Maui.

This is something I never understood. We were fortunate on our Hawaii/South Pacific sailing. We had an overnight in Oahu, but a 5:00 p.m. sail time the second day. We also had a very late night in Maui, I think until 11:00 p.m. But why EVERY Hawaii cruise doesn't have late port times, I can't understand.

I can see the shorter day in Hilo, like 5:00 p.m., because the captain generally does the scenic cruising past the active volcano that night. He wants everyone onboard, fed, and ready to view it from the open decks should they so desire. I can also understand a 5:00 p.m. all aboard after the last port stop. The ship has a long way to go to get back to the mainland, and the captain needs to get underway. But the three other stops in between should all be late times in port. It doesn't take that long to get from one to the other, does it? So why not let the passengers stay in port, having fun, until later?

Of course, it may be an economic issue. Maybe it costs more to stay in port later?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived