Celebrity West Coast

BalconyBumz

Carnival is having their newest ship (Splendor) do the classic Mexican Riviera itinerary starting in 2009. I will probably check it out...

If you haven't been on Carnival before and you like X Drew, please don't. For us, every other ship would have to sink before we would even consider another Carnival cruise. We call our Carnival cruise, the cruise from (and to) hell. I can't say even one good thing about it.

Thanks for the warning. I've been on Carnival three times (and leave for a B2B with them in two weeks). I've been on Celebrity twice. I enjoy both lines, with each line edging out the other in certain areas. I can understand, though, why some Celebrity fans wouldn't like Carnival. Or vice versa.

After our transatlantic cruise on the Constellation hubby Kit & I decided, independently of each other, that we were done with flying long distances (and the subsequent jet lag) so we cancelled our Ancient Empires cruise on the Equinox and have booked two cruises for 2009 that keep us in the same time zone. We are doing a Mexican Riviera in May on RCCL Mariner and the Millennium wine cruise in September. Our only flight will be from LAX to Vancouver, leaving more time to enjoy the cruise experience not the destinations, and relax. Sadly besides these itineraries there is not much choice offered to us west coast residents unless we go HAL or Princess. Are we the ugly step children or what? Plus we just lost our 3 & 4 day choice when Monarch left. I'm with the other poster who would only sail Carnival if all other ships sank, and then I'd really have to think about it.

Sue

Thanks for the warning. I've been on Carnival three times (and leave for a B2B with them in two weeks). I've been on Celebrity twice. I enjoy both lines, with each line edging out the other in certain areas. I can understand, though, why some Celebrity fans wouldn't like Carnival. Or vice versa.

I cruised on most of the lines. I liked them all.

A cruise on Carnival is better than no cruise at all.:D

• 2 weeks later...

This is something I have posted about before, I just don't get why the west coast is where old ships go to die. I am considering checking out the carnival splendor because it's the only newer ship cruising out of the west coast. I would love to see x totally revamp a ship like they did with century and then dedicate it to the west coast. I don't care where it goes, it could circle catalina for 7 days for all I care, for that matter, they could save some fuel and just slowly drift at sea. I think quite of few people feel this way, hopefully TPTB are listening...

This is something I have posted about before, I just don't get why the west coast is where old ships go to die. I am considering checking out the carnival splendor because it's the only newer ship cruising out of the west coast. I would love to see x totally revamp a ship like they did with century and then dedicate it to the west coast. I don't care where it goes, it could circle catalina for 7 days for all I care, for that matter, they could save some fuel and just slowly drift at sea. I think quite of few people feel this way, hopefully TPTB are listening...

Give Oosterdam a try. She does Mexico and is only four years old. I am an X fanatic but we liked Oosterdam. I did a complete comparison between X and HAL on this trip three weeks ago. You can read it at http://www.jkbellomo.com

Jim

I have been waiting for other people to get onboard with X coming back to the west coast. We have sailed many times to Mexico from S.F. They were great 7 day cruises.

I actually called Celebrity and asked why there are no more cruises to the Mexican Riviera. There response was, "they wanted more exotic destinations". I have an outstanding non-refundable deposit with them and I don't see sailing with them again with their current itineraries, except for Alaska (I've been there 4 times), not everyone has 2 weeks vacation for an exotic vacation.:confused:

What can we do to encourage X to come back?

I have been waiting for other people to get onboard with X coming back to the west coast. We have sailed many times to Mexico from S.F. They were great 7 day cruises.

I actually called Celebrity and asked why there are no more cruises to the Mexican Riviera. There response was, "they wanted more exotic destinations". I have an outstanding non-refundable deposit with them and I don't see sailing with them again with their current itineraries, except for Alaska (I've been there 4 times), not everyone has 2 weeks vacation for an exotic vacation.:confused:

I think that this may change in the not-to-distant future. Their bringing back of Mercury and canceling of all Australia/NZ cruises in 2010 is evidence that the economy says what we really want may be to just cruise and that the trip is just as important as where we go. I am tired of Alaska and would gladly sail for seven sea days if I can stay on X and stay on the West Coast. I really envy my friends in Florida who can sail whenever they want from three (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa) ports!

Kathleen says maybe in about three years. We should switch to HAL so we can go to Skagway. :D

OK but not the Oosterdam :). The chairs in the Grill or too shinny and heavy lol.

After our transatlantic cruise on the Constellation hubby Kit & I decided, independently of each other, that we were done with flying long distances (and the subsequent jet lag) so we cancelled our Ancient Empires cruise on the Equinox and have booked two cruises for 2009 that keep us in the same time zone. We are doing a Mexican Riviera in May on RCCL Mariner and the Millennium wine cruise in September. Our only flight will be from LAX to Vancouver, leaving more time to enjoy the cruise experience not the destinations, and relax. Sadly besides these itineraries there is not much choice offered to us west coast residents unless we go HAL or Princess. Are we the ugly step children or what? Plus we just lost our 3 & 4 day choice when Monarch left. I'm with the other poster who would only sail Carnival if all other ships sank, and then I'd really have to think about it.

Sue

Oor Point exactly and I also see some hope along the lines that Dr. Koob speaks on the cancellations of "Distance cruises" There may be a chance sooner than we think. I really can't figure out why not ut of LA or San Diego California though.!! You guys got more people there than we have in our whole country.

Archived