Celebrity West Coast

BalconyBumz

With the exception of the Mercury doing Hawaii and some PNW cruises out of Seattle, I wonder why Celebrity doesn't have any exposure for Mexican cruises out of San Diego or LA. I know the Infinity does Alaska, but other than that, there is no representation for Mexico. I know they used to have a nice 10 day one like HAL does. I wonder if they will eventually move something else over here with them selling the Mercury in a few years and all the new Soltice ones coming out. Anyone hear any rumblings?

I haven't heard any rumblings, but I wish they would reinstate the Mexican Riviera cruises. The Mercury alternated 10 and 11 day cruises which have been discontinued. We took an 11 day in January 2007 and would love to do the same itinerary again. With new ships I hope Celebrity will consider resuming these cruises.

We agree that X needs to do more on the West coast. We just came off the Oosterdam and had there been any X sailings on the West Coast we would have done them. It made this X Elite discover another line that he will now consider.

We were at a travel show in early October and an X rep was there. When we asked why we were having to cruise on HAL when we would rather be on X we were told that Mexican Riviera cruises are "loss leaders." To me that means you bait people with a cheap cruise to get folks into your clutches. Something to be able to throw out a cheap price for.

I don't know why this is when HAL, RCL, Carnival and Princess are selling out those cruises. I have high hopes that once Equinox and Eclipse come on board X will put an M-class on the West coast permanently.

Wouldn't you love to have a ship that did summer in Alaska, winter in Mexico and spring and fall up and down from Vancouver to San Diego with short stops in Vancouver and Ensenada to satisfy the Jones Act. That would work for me. I would do one a year. Every year as my second cruise.

I totally agree - WE NEED MORE CRUISES FROM THE WEST COAST!! Are you listening X??

We had to cancel our Equinox Med cruise due to the cost of airfare to Europe. WAY to expensive!! So I started looking for something closer to home - not Alaska, done that already, twice! Maybe in a couple of years. I found Celebrity Infinity through the Panama Canal from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale. So now we only have one way airfare:D:D Just have to have one of our kids drive us into Seattle and we are on the ship!!:D

Because we are saving on airfare, we are looking at spending a extra day in Ft. Lauderdale area!!

Can we have something besides Alaska from Seattle, please??!!

Melody:)

I just want to weigh in here as well. We live in the SF Bay Area and I actually booked us on the Star Princess to the Mexican Riviera this upcoming spring. But I kept feeling we would be terribly disappointed after our lovely Millennium adventure in Alaska. So I cancelled Princess and we are now flying, unfortunately, to Fort Lauderdale for a ten day Caribbean trip in March 2009 on the Constellation. But I do know I will not want to leave the west coast to follow Celebrity always and will probably explore HAL if no ship comes back our way. I am sick of flying, not to mention the cost.

Please, Celebrity ... there are lots of us here on the West Coast who would support a ship!

(I hope someone's listening!)

fern

RCCL has to fill the Mariner of the Seas on the west coast now and that is one BIG ship. That may have something to do with it..

I also would LOVE to see a 10 day mex cruise out of San Diego on Celebrity...HAL's Itinerary is great on that one..

we were told that Mexican Riviera cruises are "loss leaders." To me that means you bait people with a cheap cruise to get folks into your clutches. Something to be able to throw out a cheap price for.

I don't know why this is when HAL, RCL, Carnival and Princess are selling out those cruises. I have high hopes that once Equinox and Eclipse come on board X will put an M-class on the West coast permanently.

You stated it right there. Loss Leaders.

HAL, Carnival and RCCL have a lower loss average as they have more cabins in those lines than Celebrity. Espically RCCL and Carnival.

Those two can stand a few extra empty cabins. Where Celebrity can't.

And maybe the Mexican Riveria is not all that great of port areas to go to.

Old and worn out - overplayed.

You stated it right there. Loss Leaders.

HAL, Carnival and RCCL have a lower loss average as they have more cabins in those lines than Celebrity. Espically RCCL and Carnival.

Those two can stand a few extra empty cabins. Where Celebrity can't.

And maybe the Mexican Riveria is not all that great of port areas to go to.

Old and worn out - overplayed.

I agree that the Mexican Riveria might be played out but a week cruising south for seven sea days beats being at home anytime. And if the ship happened to stop at Cabo or Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta, I don't even have to get off. That wasn't the point. The point is we on the west coast just want to cruise ANYWHERE on our favorite cruise line that we don't have to fly for an entire day both ways to get to. I just spent well in excess of $4000 for a 7 day HAL cruise (with cruise costs, fuel surcharges, bar, spa, tips and other sundry costs) that I would have spent on X if there had been a ship to take.

I am really tired of two of our best friends who live just outside Ft. Lauderdale and can grab any cruise they want just about anytime they want and be there in 15 minutes having all the advantages. I am willing to fly to get to my cruise and from my list of cruises you can see that I do.

But we want to cruise at least twice a year. If we do one really expensive and long one in Europe, Asia or Australia, please can't we have one nice one-week or 10 day cruise nearby so we don't have to fly more than 8 hours to get there? And spend almost as much as the cruise on the airplane ticket.

We can only go to Alaska so many times.:D

I do not live on the west coast, but I definitely still miss the option of the Mexico cruise. Took the 10 day on the Mercury a few years ago and LOVED it. (albeit the ship was not in the greatest shape). There are lots of ports to go to, especially on a 10 or 11 day. And since most people have not had the opportunity to cruise there (at least on Celebrity) I certainly don't think the ports are played out in any way. Come on, Celebrity! Put some more options out there. With the economy, lots of folks would rather fly to San Diego or LA than San Juan or Europe!

I too would like to see more West Coast cruises, and for longer itineraries than the 3-4 day cruises that are scheduled each autumn.

We jumped on the chance to take the 12 day Wine Cruise on the Millennium for September 2009 when the new Millennium itineraries were recently announced.

I also wonder what the logistical possibilities would be for a 10-12 day "circle" tour of the West Coast that stopped at such ports as Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, San Francisco, Monterey, Catalina, Long Beach and San Diego, where people could get on and off at their local port. Those are all really interesting ports, and it would be SO wonderful to take a cruise where you didn't have to fly. I would do it every year!

It's also another way to keep tourism dollars recycling in the US economy. I think it's a win-win situation!

Another SF Bay Area dweller checking in...

PLEASE send us a ship!! :D

It's astounding how many Californians I meet on cruise ships all over the world, and just about all of them say they would cruise even more often if they had west coast departure options. I agree with 'Dr. Koob' and others here...

While some of the Mexican ports aren't all that interesting, it's the CRUISE that's attractive. =X= offers a superior product and value, and I would love it if we could cruise from San Francisco or any other west coast port. It's one thing to have to travel a day or two in advance to cruise Europe, the Baltic, or Asia - but having to do so for the east coast is just tiresome.

The point is we on the west coast just want to cruise ANYWHERE on our favorite cruise line that we don't have to fly for an entire day both ways to get to. .

.:D

It would take me an entire day of travelling both ways from Montreal. But, I still would like to see the X cruises return to the Pacific Coast of Mexico:D

The main reason I booked our PC cruise was because it ended in SF. No worrying about what I buy and how much the airlines will charge me on overages.

I would love to see more cruises from the west coast....

Do you hear us Celebrity????

The "local "circle cruise would be a wonderful option. See some of the local things one just never has time to do, and while in your home port stay onboard and relax.:D

I personally am tired of *usual* Mexican Rivera trips.

I would love to see more ships sail out of SF... but I know that is a pipe dream.:(

Celebrity has done everything but almost abandon the West Coast to HAL, Carnival, RCCL and Princess. Those lines are sailing pretty full all the time and getting good publicity locally. The longer that X stays away, the harder it will be for them to break back in if that is what they should decide to do some day. When Mercury was here, she generated a lot of bad local publicity because of unfortunate outbreaks of Noro on a few cruises. In my opinion X has allowed their competition to eat their lunch. Too bad.:(

We did the 10-day Mexican Riviera on Mercury in Feb 2005 and absolutely loved it - it was our most relaxing vacation ever! It was our first Celebrity cruise but not our last.

Hey Melody! We are neighbors - we live in Sammamish, too!

I agree that the Mexican Riveria might be played out but a week cruising south for seven sea days beats being at home anytime. And if the ship happened to stop at Cabo or Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta, I don't even have to get off. That wasn't the point. The point is we on the west coast just want to cruise ANYWHERE on our favorite cruise line that we don't have to fly for an entire day both ways to get to. I just spent well in excess of $4000 for a 7 day HAL cruise (with cruise costs, fuel surcharges, bar, spa, tips and other sundry costs) that I would have spent on X if there had been a ship to take.

I am really tired of two of our best friends who live just outside Ft. Lauderdale and can grab any cruise they want just about anytime they want and be there in 15 minutes having all the advantages. I am willing to fly to get to my cruise and from my list of cruises you can see that I do.

But we want to cruise at least twice a year. If we do one really expensive and long one in Europe, Asia or Australia, please can't we have one nice one-week or 10 day cruise nearby so we don't have to fly more than 8 hours to get there? And spend almost as much as the cruise on the airplane ticket.

Just my 2 cents .We are Elite on Celebrity & Diamond on RCCL .Seems to me that there are many options to take on the W Coast. We have cruised to Hawaii, Mexico & Alaska ,all from our home port here in San Diego .But, one can't be too picky on just a Celebrity cruise .Better to be flexible.Besides RCCL has better perks than a Celebrity cruise:).

Just my 2 cents .We are Elite on Celebrity & Diamond on RCCL .Seems to me that there are many options to take on the W Coast. We have cruised to Hawaii, Mexico & Alaska ,all from our home port here in San Diego .But, one can't be too picky on just a Celebrity cruise .Better to be flexible.Besides RCCL has better perks than a Celebrity cruise:).

I fully realize RCCL has better perks but they also have something else we don't want on a cruise--kids. I will be the first to admit that I have never sailed on RCCL. But I have seen their ads, reads their boards and talked to others who have sailed them. It is positioned (as it should be) as a family line. Bring the kids! Have an adventure! I think that is the best niche for them. But not for us. We raised our kids. We love them dearly but I don't want to be on a ship that is full of them. When my non-cruising friends who waited to have their children untll later in life ask me what cruise line to take for their first cruise, I always recommend RCCL. It will be perfect for them--not me.

Also, it is very apparent to me that RCCL and I have two entirely different ideas of why we cruise. According to their ads, they cruise for adventure. I cruise to relax. X lets me do that. One of my goals in cruising is to never be on a ship that has a water slide, a climbing rock or an ice-skating rink. I want to be on one that has a great spa, superb service, a martini bar and someplace quiet I can read a book in a smoke-less atmosphere. Once a year, I want to be a on cruise that has GREAT ports of call but the other cruise--the one I take to relax--I want X. I want to be treated "famously".

X and RCCL both do an excellent job of marketing their product. Both tell me in all their ads and on their websites exactly what I am going to get on their cruises. I agree with them. I want X. On the West Coast please!!!:D

While I was looking at the West coast next summer.....

RCCL had no discounts for the summer bookings - when most are in Alaska.

I will guess that during the summer this is a prime run also to Mexico.

Once school hits the prices drop like a rock as does occupancy.

Loss leader as they can't reposition the ship to other areas that they already cover on.

We were at a travel show in early October and an X rep was there. When we asked why we were having to cruise on HAL when we would rather be on X we were told that Mexican Riviera cruises are "loss leaders." To me that means you bait people with a cheap cruise to get folks into your clutches. Something to be able to throw out a cheap price for.

The issue isn't "selling out" the cruises. It is at what per diems they are able to sell them out. Nearly every cruise line sells out nearly every cruise. They simply lower and lower the price until they can sell it. However, if they have to lower it too much (and then also credit many of those who booked at higher cost), then the profit-margin shrinks to nothing...

I guarantee that X looked at average per diems they were able to get for the Mexican Riviera and compared them to average per diems for other areas (Europe and Alaska in particular). I imagine that they determined that their ships could be more profitable elsewhere.

Now, I always thought that if they enlarged the fleet, they could afford to cover more areas. However, if they continue to sell off an old ship for every new ship they introduce, the size of the fleet really isn't going up...

Our first cruise was a Mexican Riv. out of LA. We will return someday as we could actually drive there instead of flying.

An =X= ship would make my choice a lot easier.

So if anyone's reading and cares

as Dr. Koob says. "You can only go to Alaska so often" mind you I could do that again Jim..:D next time from Vancouver ????

We would also like to see more opportunities to sail with Celebrity out of San Diego or perhaps even San Francisco during our 'winter' months.

A journey down the west coast of Mexico and perhaps into the Central America's would be most welcome!

For us, it is more about the journey than the destination........but, we would definately consider west coast departures as we would not have to travel as far.

There are so many places in this world to explore that we find it sad when we have to repeat the journey!

Sandy

as Dr. Koob says. "You can only go to Alaska so often" mind you I could do that again Jim..:D next time from Vancouver ????

Kathleen says maybe in about three years. We should switch to HAL so we can go to Skagway. :D

We just returned from the Star Princess to Mexico. This is our 5th cruise to Mexico on Princess in the last few years. We recognize (even though we are elite on Princess) that we miss some of what X and Holland American ships offer.

We have decided we will not go on another Mexican cruise out of San Francisco until we have a ship that offers what we want. I guess we will be flying to cruise.

Too bad more lines don't go out of San Francisco.

Archived