Advice Needed for Malaga On My Own

Hi All:

My ship stops at Malaga on a Sunday in January. 7am-5pm.

After some research, it APPEARS to me that I can do this Port on my own?The best(not great) map I've found leads me to believe I might be able to get a taxi at the Pier(if readily available?)to take me up to Castillo de Gibralfaro(it appears to be uphill) and then I'd slowly walk back down toward the Port/Ship stopping at Alcazaba, Malaga Cathedral & Picasso Museum, etc. I'm a solo lady.

1. Does this plan sound doable? The distance is hard to judge.

2. Does anyone have a good map link? (Frommer's is hard to read)

I would love to hear from those who've been to Malaga. Esp. re: where ship is actually docked, distance to Castillo de Gibralfaro(farthest point), time needed to walk back, sightsee, etc., safety for an older, solo lady(paramount), other things to see along the way etc.

Thanks!

Martha

Hi. We were in Malaga about two years ago and loved it. I don't remember how I got up to the Gilbr. castle (probably a public bus, since I seldom do cabs), but once there, I believe I walked down, seeing the places you've mentioned (except Picasso Museum). My husband explored on his own without going up to the castle. Malaga is a great place for just walking and exploring, assuming you're into that and able to do it. (I'm 57, fairly active, and "finely retired" myself -although at age 57, I can't say that I'm "finally retired." (It's wonderful to be retired at age 57 - more time for traveling!!) Anyway, let me dig out the stuff I (hopefully) saved and see what I can do for you. I remember that I DID have a map, which was helpful. I'll write again later tonight, or (probably) in the morning. But the short answer to your question is yes, your plan sounds doable. I remember getting off the ship and there were a lot of carriages for hire lined up right by the ship, but I don't know how much they cost or where they went. I think there were cabs, too, but I'm not positive. I didn't go to the Picasso Museum - just the Castillo, and then walked past the Alcazar and around that area. What cruise line are you using? We used Oceania. We could see the ship from the castle, which was pretty neat. You can also see a bullring from up there.

Absolutely doable. We hiked to the cathedral then up to the castle and back down. Picasso museum was closed (Monday-bummer), but we really liked the castle. One of the guidebooks seemed to say that this was unsafe to do, but there were lots of other people around and in broad daylight, it seemed very safe to me. Though wear sunscreen--I had a good burn on the back of my neck afterward.

OK, I found my notes, but the map will have to wait until tomorrow. Here's what I wrote for my photo album: "Malaga - Andalusian, sun-drenched Malaga. I loved it. Very under-rated. The ship docked right in town and there were horses/buggies and cabs lined up outside. We walked to the left and found ourselves outside the port gate and in the town. We walked to the Cathedral and explored the immediate area. Malaga was just waking up. Saw the Roman Theater and part of the Alcazaba. Walked around the shopping area and over the very dry river that runs through the city. Went back to the ship for lunch. I went back out, walked across the park, and took the bus (35) to Gilbrafaro Castle. The bus went through a really pretty, upscale part of town and then wiggled its way up to the castle high above Malaga. Gilbrafaro was awesome, including the views. Saw a town or development in the hlls nearby filled with white houses (would love to know that that was), and the bullring, harbor, Regatta, and lighthouse below. Took lots of pictures. Went back to the ship, which departed at 6."

Hope this helps.

Thanks all. This is sounding promising for a satisfying DIY walk/museum/port day. The bus 35 sounds like a great option.

I'm 61..........do my 10,000 steps each day. Probably at a slower pace than most of you........because I now have the time! :). Finally, finely retired.

Does anyone have a concern about a solo lady doing this?

Timing: From where the ship docks, could I do both up and back by walking? Enough time? I'm inclined to use a taxi at Pier to the top(IF they are available?) or the bus roothy spoke of...and meander on back without duplication. Any thoughts about that?

I've used many private excursions, some ship's tours on cruises. Will do some on this B2B cruise as well. But my most favorite "tours"/"days" have been when I've gone out on my own...IF the city/town/port warrants it for me as a solo lady. So......have wandered London, Amsterdam, Bruges, Dubin, Klaipeda, Copenhagen happily on my own......and I'm just not sure if Malaga falls into the same category.

I'd love a better map of Malaga if anyone has a link!

Martha

When we docked there in 2006, I remember the dock faced the Alcazaba, and there was a gate that prevented cabs from getting close in to the ship. Our driver had problems getting through, so we had to walk. But I don't remember it being that far, so I'm sure you'll manage. Then there was a bit of a drive to get out of the port area, but again, not bad. If it were me, I'd pick up a cab and get to somewhere central first, but that's just me.

How nice to be there in January. It might be chilly (I was there once when it snowed, believe it or not), but it will be devoid of tourists, so you'll have a chance of seeing some of the "real" Malaga.

OK, found my map. Maybe I can xerox the pertinent part and scan/email or mail it to you. (If you want, email me at howardruthalliejoey@gmail.com). It may not be any better than what you can find in a book, but at least it shows all the things a tourist would be interested in, the port area, and clearly shows each street. The attractions are described in Spanish, which I often find is better than having the English names! It's a map issued by the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento), so maybe you could also google/write them for a copy. I got it from the tourist rep that our ship had on board for a couple hours, but I don't know if all cruise lines do that, so you might want to gather stuff beforehand!

Like Rachel, I remember a warning of "don't go alone" for the Castillo, but I felt safe walking in and down from the Castillo and around the center part of the town. I don't think you need to worry about that, as long as you keep your wits around you, as in any city. From my notes written on the side of the map, I see that we were docked at Muelle 2 ("Guardiaro"), which is the closest dock area to the Town Hall, Alcazaba, etc. (facing it), but there are a couple other docks, so I suppose it could be a bit farther for some ships than it was for ours. I had to walk to the left and out a gate which got me unto MolinaLario, with the cathedral ahead a couple blocks and Paseo del Parque and the park (and bus stop) before that. My notes say that the 35 bus does not run all that often, so plan accordingly. I'm remembering I only had to wait 15 minutes or so, but I'm not positive. You catch the bus on Paseo del Parque, across the park. The bus shelters have routes posted, so you can make sure you're at the right place. The bus was fine for me, but I can't imagine a cab would cost much to go up to the castle, so that might be easier for you. The walk back down was 20-30 minutes according to my notes, but I don't remember if that got me all the way back down to the pier (probably not) or just down to the Alcazaba.

I really liked Malaga, and also Cadiz. You aren't going there, are you?

-Ruth

My husband got the map enlarged for me. It'll be fine. I'll probably get a cab to the farthest point and head back.

Yes, Ruth, going also to Cadiz. I'm told there's a Hop On-Hop Off type bus near the pier. I'll use that. Any thoughts about that or Cadiz?

Thanks again,

Martha

Cadiz is also super easy to explore on your own. We rented a taxi at the dock and went to Jerez de la Frontera to the horse show and to visit a couple of bodegas, but we had time to explore a little after we returned. There are lots of tiny streets with interesting little shops.

Highly recommend taking a taxi to Jerez to the horse show if that interests you at all and if you are in port on the day of the show (we were there on a Tuesday). Very interesting. I think you can watch a practice on other days as well.

Cadiz was fun - small enough city to enjoy on your own without much fanfare. We also meandered the small winding streets of the old town, and I took a bus a short ways to the beach, where there were fishermen, colorful boats, and a lighthouse. We were there overnight, and one of my most vivid memories is when I went back out alone after dinner (yes, I felt relatively safe) and discovered an outdoor band practice going on at the college at 10:30 at night! I was also interested in Jerez de la Frontera, but we ended up taking the train to Seville instead, since we had not been there. But Cadiz was very enjoyable, and I suppose we could have happily spent a whole day there, particularly if we had been into shopping and eating more!

Hi, I live 40 mins from Málaga and visit often. It is a safe as any other Port. I think there is a hop on/off London type bus. Just be cautious if approached by the gypsies selling flowers etc. they usually work in two's. One to distract you and the other to rifle your purse!

We stopped in Malaga this year (Sept) on the Aurora. As previous posters have said, most if the sites you have mentioned are easily do-able. I would point out that at the moment, major reconstruction work is being carried out in the docks and the city has provided a free shuttle bus to the dock gates. Once there you are in the heart of Malaga. We did a ships tour which included the bull ring, castle, and the Arabic fortress. Beside the fortress there is a ancient Roman ampitheatre which is still being excavated.

Jimmy

• 2 months later...

I felt safe in Malaga, and you can definetely do it on your own in my opinion. I'm 34 and walked all over alone. I took the local bus to the Castle and it was not only cheap, but I ended up making friends with a local guide in the bus and he told me everything about well, everything Malaga related.

My "plan" was to actually get a little lost and go where the wind took me. I do this a lot. Anyhow, it was the best decision, since the town is so charming, and I went to streets that didn't have many tourists at all. Again, I felt safe. Anyhow, have a wonderful time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all who lent advice re: DIY Malaga. Thank you!

I've recently returned and truly enjoyed Malaga "on my own." I did find a

Hop On-Hop Off Bus quite close to port entrance. Another lady I met on

board and I took that around Malaga once and listened to the commentary. Commentary was interesting & it was a pretty route around the city. On the 2nd go around we got off at the stop at the top for Castillo de Gibralfaro, had a look there and then prceeded down a steep, slate covered, wide well landscaped pathway with spectacular overlooks & photo ops. We truly marveled at the folks slogging their way up as we went down. Even the young folk were exhausted. When we saw them we did not have the heart to tell them they were still only 1/3 of the way up! Went on down to a square at the entrance to Alcazaba for photos of that, had a leisurely lunch in a sidewalk cafe. After that it was only another short walk ( we meandered around some lovely streets) to the Cathedral. We then headed to the ship making a long stop to explore the lovely botanical park/walk along the waterfront. Just a lovely day.

Ruth & Rachel: Both of you brought up Cadiz. I did something very similar in Cadiz. Took one run around with commentary on the red/yellow Ho-Ho bus. Then, as it was a sunny day, got off at the very large beach area, wandered the beach, watched sand art/castle builders & had lunch at a water side restaurant that was great. Restaurant was LOADED with locals. Then got back on the Ho-Ho and off again farther down at the botanical garden and walked thru there, then along the waterfront walk/wall, stopped to watch some fisherman, crossed over amongst some lovely little streets & eventually ended up back at the ship. We stopped at a locals stand-up bar & asked for a local brandy or some such. They ( I mean the locals who spoke nearly no English to our wretched Spanish) provided a glass of something we shared which really warmed our tummys & revived us quite well! :) Another lovely day.

Martha

It sounds like your days in Malaga and Cadiz were great. I found them great cities - not too large, not too small, and easy for an independent wanderer like myself. I also took a bus in Cadiz, and went to the beach to watch fisherman tending their boats and such. I would go back to Malaga and Cadiz in a heartbeat.

FinelyRetired, so glad your trip went well, and that our advice was helpful. I didn't feel the least bit scared on that path down from the castle either (we also rode up).

Sookieny, Malaga is the port for Granada. Cadiz is the port for Seville. Granada and Seville are inland. Granada is north of Malaga, and Seville is north of Cadiz. Truthfully, unless you are sure there is never any other way you would ever be able to visit Granada or Seville, on a cruise is not the best way. The travel times to and from these cities really limit what you can see there. We spent 2 days in Granada and just scratched the surface on a land trip.

It sounds like your days in Malaga and Cadiz were great. I found them great cities - not too large, not too small, and easy for an independent wanderer like myself. I also took a bus in Cadiz, and went to the beach to watch fisherman tending their boats and such. I would go back to Malaga and Cadiz in a heartbeat.

On a land vacation of two weeks, we stayed about an hours drive south of Malaga and drove to Gibralter and the nearest port for a ferry ride to Morroco. We didn't get near Cadiz with this driving south of Malaga.

We visited Cadiz several years later, beautiful city and easy to DIY.

It is as safe as any City. Watch out for the Gypsies selling flowers in tourist areas. One has the flowers and the other one picks pockets whilst distracted!

They also use other tactics and are present in other countries. They are not the only pickpockets, but ARE the best. Boy, can they cuss when you tell them to get away in other than English!:eek:

It is as safe as any City. Watch out for the Gypsies selling flowers in tourist areas. One has the flowers and the other one picks pockets whilst distracted!

They also use other tactics and are present in other countries. They are not the only pickpockets, but ARE the best. Boy, can they cuss when you tell them to get away in other than English!:eek:

Lucky you, living in Marbella. Puerto Banus was my favorite 'people watching' place in Spain. Still have a boat flag I bought there.

Archived