Heading to GC with a 11 and 12 year old

shaynasmom

Hello -

We will be on Freedom of the Seas in just a few weeks with our 12 year old and her best friend who is 11 years old.

It is ALL of our first trip to Grand Cayman. (my DH, myself and both girls)

We are trying to figure out the BEST way to spend our day on land.... I really don't want to do a ship exercusion....

We are thinking of.....

1. Turtle Farm

2. Stingray City

3. Butterfly Farm

Can we get tours of these off ship ?

How far is each from dock ?

Which would be the best ?

Can we do more than one in a day ?

Any thoughts ?

Comments and help is certainly WELCOMED !!!!

Also - anything else we should do.....

Thanks for the direction in planning !

Hello -

We will be on Freedom of the Seas in just a few weeks with our 12 year old and her best friend who is 11 years old.

We are trying to figure out the BEST way to spend our day on land.... I really don't want to do a ship exercusion....

We are thinking of.....

1. Turtle Farm

2. Stingray City

3. Butterfly Farm

Any thoughts ?

Look into renting a car - there are several major providers there and the rates are very reasonable. (Ours in December is $46 for the day which includes local permit, insurance, and gas.) You can reach all of the areas indicated most likely in one day - the island is relatively small and the places you listed are all up north on the west coast where the ships tender. You can also reserve a stingray tour independently and less costly than on the ship. Google Grand Cayman tours, etc., and you'll find sites with info. Very easy and friendly island (British held) and - but for some traffic along the coast along seven mile beach - manageble with driving. You should have time to take it all in. Have a great time - it's a very nice island!

Check out Cayman in a nutshell. We did a tour with them that included Stringray city, snorkeling, the turtle farm, hell, and lunch on the beach. It was a great tour. They also have others so you should be able to find one that meets your needs.

I agree...Stingray City is a must see! Even if you don't book ahead of time, right where the tenders drop you off there will be lots of tour operators ready to give you great deals on tours. That's what we did, and it ended up being great! Obviously if you do some research on these boards, it would probably be best to book ahead of time, but I think your entire family would love Stingray City!

Hello -

We are thinking of.....

1. Turtle Farm

2. Stingray City

3. Butterfly Farm

Any thoughts ?

GET THOSE LADIES OUT IN THE WATER WITH THE STINGRAYS! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and the sand bar where they are at is only hip to waist deep - no swimming needed!! We were there a couple weeks ago with Captain Marvin and we had 2 snorkel stops along the coral reef and the stop with the stingrays. Excellent trip! And I only saw 2 (perhaps the same one twice) that hadn't had its barbs removed. Just dont touch their tail and youll be fine! They arent dangerous - they are quite friendly! And if the girls are a bit squeamish, this will be a great opportunity to show them a part of aquatic life that is something their friends will probably NEVER DO! (and take a water-proof camera)

Archived