Regent vs. Princess/HAL

kingfoot

So far we've cruised only 3 times (twice on HAL and once on Princess). We had a Deluxe Verandah Suite on HAL and a MiniSuite on Princess. Overall we have had excellent vacations, and really like the "all inclusive / unpack once" aspect of cruising.

However, what we find somewhat annoying (especially on Princess) is the incessant drive for onboard revenue. It seems many of the onboard activities were designed first and foremost to drive incremental revenue, rather than being primarily about passenger enjoyment or enrichment. The "port lectures" were about driving passenger business to certain "approved" shops (which I'm sure are either owned by the cruiseline, or giving the cruise line a percent of sales.) Tons of time and space devoted to pushing art auctions and shore excursions. The house take on the bingo game was obscene. Even the kitchen tour turning into a shameless plug for the Princess cookbook.

So far, we've just ignored these things and enjoyed ourselves (I'm sure many people do). But I'm wondering if some of the higher end cruise lines like RSSC are any better in this aspect. I guess I'm willing to pay a little bit more for something which is more inclusive, and feels a little less like an nonstop onboard time-share pitch.

So... is it really any different on RSSC? Does the experience feel any less "salesy"? Is it possible to enjoy a cruise without feeling like walking wallet?

There is absolutely no nickel and diming on Regent! All inclusive is wonderful, meaning all your alcohol, sodas, etc. are included in the price. Been sold on Regent for quite some time now. It's a very relaxed atmosphere and the service is impeccable. Have not done Holland America nor Princess, but comparing those to Regent ... well, I don't know how you could!!!!!

I have no experience with other cruise lines, but we met a couple of the Paul Gauguin once who were regular Princess cruisers. They were gobsmacked by Regent (then Radisson), and said there absolutely no comparison. They said they would keep doing Princess cruises, but try to do a Regent every few years when they could afford it.

Kingfoot:

My wife and I have cruised with Princess 14 times over the past 18 years and had our first Regent experience on the Voyageur last December. After reading many reviews on these boards, we wondered how the two lines would compare, as we had been quite impressed with the service and overall experience on Princess to that point. No experience on Hal though.

We were quite bowled over by the service and professional attitude right from the moment we came aboard. Staff were enthusiastic about greeting you - restaurant and bar staff/pool deck stewards couldn't do enough for you right from the get-go. I should add at no time was there ever a feeling that a tip was in order or expected. The whole ambience was understated luxury for the entire seven days. No sales pitches whatsoever - no "gold by the inch"/t-shirt riots/watch sales etc etc. You will recall the vast amounts of promotional notices in your cabin on a daily basis from your Princess experience but don't expect anything whatsoever beyond the daily schedule of events with Regent.

The totally all-inclusive aspect was refreshing and although we are only moderate drinkers, the fact that you NEVER had to reach into your pocket or sign for anything was a nice change. Mind you, the price differential between Regent and Princess is substantial, but it's a fabulous treat. Only downside is that you might just have great difficulty returning to a mainstream line......

Have a great trip and you can believe all the glowing reports that you see about Regent!

Rob

If you're referring to the jewellery merchants in St. Thomas/ St. Martin and other Caribbean venues by that name, no - I don't recall hearing any particular stores touted. Another treat with Regent!

Rob

Diamonds International stores are heavily pushed on both HAL and Princess, in seemingly all ports (Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Hawaii, and Caribbean). My suspicion is that they are are actually owned by cruising megacorp Carnival (CCL) (who also owns HAL, Princess, as well as Costa, Cunard and Seaborn), or at the very least DI and CCL have a sweet revenue sharing deal.

I am relieved to hear this kind of cross-sell scheme is not in play on Regent.

OMG when I saw the words "Diamonds International" I had this Carnival CruiseLInes flashback..... and not in a good way!! LOL So happy to see that the Regent Posters don't know what DI means!

Btw...... after reading thru this whole post, I for one can't wait to be GOBSMACKED whatever that means!:p

Oh sorry, I guess that's more of a British term, although I'm Canadian. It means "blow away", "utterly astounded or astonished".

Not the nicest of terms but one I (who is a Brit) have to own up to using on occasion!! It's very colloquial English for speechless. Gob being a very, very colloquial term for mouth - so, hand smacked over mouth rendering one speechless...

Anne

Oh sorry, I guess that's more of a British term, although I'm Canadian. It means "blow away", "utterly astounded or astonished".

Sounds like something that lady pushing the snack cart on the train to Hogwarts would sell.

• 2 weeks later...
I have no experience with other cruise lines, but we met a couple of the Paul Gauguin once who were regular Princess cruisers. They were gobsmacked by Regent (then Radisson), and said there absolutely no comparison. They said they would keep doing Princess cruises, but try to do a Regent every few years when they could afford it.

Mrs Banjo & I are frequent Princess, & Regent cruisers, there is very little to actually compare, the experiences are very different. When we cruise on Princess it is always on the small ships, (Royal Princess, etc) where the experience is more like a Regent experience, but with the nickle & diming that we try to ignore. The only reason we cruise on both is because of Itineraries and schedules vary. We tend to pick the itinerary and time to cruise then pick the cruiseline second, but with a bias to Regent whenever possible. The all inclusive, no tip required is really nice and the ships are fabulous.

We have been cruising since 1990, we have used a total of 3 cruise lines in that time, Princess, Regent and Silversea. This year we are cruising on Hal to the Western Carib because the similar Regent itinerary was not available in the time frame we needed, (sorry Regent). So we will be able to report back on the differences, which I expect will be similar to Princess

Archived