What is best site to upload your photos to.

Grey Nomad

I am quite new to uploading and sharing photos and have just spent several days putting my cruise photos on Flickr. But now I see there is webshot. What is the better site and what is the best way to upload your photos.

Any help or clues would be very much appreciated.

I am quite new to uploading and sharing photos and have just spent several days putting my cruise photos on Flickr. But now I see there is webshot. What is the better site and what is the best way to upload your photos.

I have both but from what I have seen webshots lets you upload more for free than flikr. Both are very good...

I have not used flickr (have used webshots & photobucket). As Don said, you can upload more for free on webshots. However, there are a few people on here that use flickr and say that it is much better than webshots. I'm actually thinking of paying to use flickr because it is supposed to be better.

I use webshots, i am a premium member and pay an annual amount for the satisfaction that all my photos are stored online... I also have them saved to hard drive and CD's but for peace of mind. i also like to have the online storage back up.

If you just want to store pics for sharing, wither site will do the job.

I used to use webshots but there were too many ads. I use Flickr now and find it excellent. You can upload a few at a time or use their bulk uploader. Sometimes it can be slow but it depends on the time of day ("peak" hour) and the size of your photos and how many you're uploading at once. There is also photobucket but again there are lots of ads.

Thanks for the replies. I did pay an annual fee on Flickr last week and as I had 264 photos I put on, it seemed to take for ages. Is that the same with webshots??

The last couple of times I've used webshots it has taken ages. Don't remember it taking so long the first time I used it.

Thanks for the replies. I did pay an annual fee on Flickr last week and as I had 264 photos I put on, it seemed to take for ages. Is that the same with webshots??

I LOVE Flickr :)

I use a utility called Flickr Uploadr to send my files to Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/tools/uploadr/) - it lets you drag and drop stuff from your desktop straight into Flickr and lets you add tags and sort into sets as you do it. If you upload this way, it's usually pretty quick.

I use a utility called Flickr Uploadr to send my files to Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/tools/uploadr/) - it lets you drag and drop stuff from your desktop straight into Flickr and lets you add tags and sort into sets as you do it. If you upload this way, it's usually pretty quick.

If you don't mind me asking Neil, what is the annual fee for that?

If you don't mind me asking Neil, what is the annual fee for that?

Karen

The upload software is free.

A Flickr pro account costs $US 24.95 per year.

BTW you can upload more than 200 photos if you use Flickr for free, but you can only publicly display a max of 200 photos unless you subscribe.

Neil

Thanks for your replies. I think I will stick with Flickr and do a bit of fiddling to try it all out.

Another Uber-Cool thing you can do in Flickr is KML and Geofeed your photos. If you add location info to your photos, you can publish a map like this one which shows your most recent photos on a map, or this one which shows the location of your photo, so you can click and zoom.

The map updates as new photos are added.

How cool is that :)

Have a look at Picasa - I have been using it for more than a year and very pleased - easy to use, no ads and up to 1GB storage free. With the free software you can download it's a breeze to keep your photos organised on your PC (lets you do edits, add text etc as well). Check it out at http://picasa.google.com/

Click on the camera smiley in my signature to look at my web albums :)

Great pics Boeckli! I am with you on Picasa - it is fabulous!! It made uploading my 250 pics of our recent cruise to the Picasa Gallery a breeze - I could add captions, and when I uploaded them it automatically resized them so they were a good size for sharing. The album display is also really good - you can see all the pics at a glance and click on the ones you want to look at more closely. There are no annoying ads, and you can also link it in with Google maps (although it couldn't find some of the Vanuatu islands). The free software is also fabulous for quick photo edits and for sorting your pics into albums to create a timeline.

Cheers,

Niki

Great pics Boeckli! I am with you on Picasa - it is fabulous!! It made uploading my 250 pics of our recent cruise to the Picasa Gallery a breeze - I could add captions, and when I uploaded them it automatically resized them so they were a good size for sharing. The album display is also really good - you can see all the pics at a glance and click on the ones you want to look at more closely. There are no annoying ads, and you can also link it in with Google maps (although it couldn't find some of the Vanuatu islands). The free software is also fabulous for quick photo edits and for sorting your pics into albums to create a timeline.

Cheers,

Niki

Thanks, Niki - glad you enjoyed the photos.

Picasa software (especially the new Picasa 3) really makes for seamless photo sharing with its editing abilities (you can even sync albums to the web so that any edits you do down the line are included in your web albums)

Archived