Problems with Cabin Steward

mcclure2

We sailed on the Nov. 1 sailing of the Sapphire to the Mexican Riv. Our cabin steward was constantly walking in our cabin throughout our cruise without knocking on the door. It not only happened to us but to another couple that was across the hall. Also does anyone know if it is a policy that they have to bring ice or room service all the way into your room? Our steward insisted he had to bring the ice into our room he also insisted this with the other couple even after one of them protested explaining that his wife was in the shower-the steward once again insisted that he had to and continued to walk in.

Should I write the cruise line about this or just let it go because it's normal?

I would not have let the steward come into the room if it did not suit me.

A word with him should have been sufficient but if that didn`t work you should have spoken to someone onboard.

Remember that you are the customer.

Saying that, I have never had any problem with stewards. Usually they do their jobs discretely and are not seen too much at all.

We sailed on the Nov. 1 sailing of the Sapphire to the Mexican Riv. Our cabin steward was constantly walking in our cabin throughout our cruise without knocking on the door. It not only happened to us but to another couple that was across the hall. Also does anyone know if it is a policy that they have to bring ice or room service all the way into your room? Our steward insisted he had to bring the ice into our room he also insisted this with the other couple even after one of them protested explaining that his wife was in the shower-the steward once again insisted that he had to and continued to walk in.

Should I write the cruise line about this or just let it go because it's normal?

Did you ask your steward to please knock before entering the room? That would have been the first thing I would have done. If after the request he did it again, then I probably would have given him one more reminder. Then I would have made a call to the purser's desk to talk to Hotel management.

I have never heard of a room steward who couldn't give you ice at the door, they have never had to 'carry it in' for us, and we use a lot of ice.

Should you write a letter to Princess, well that is totally up to you. But this is one of those times this should have been taken care of onboard the ship and not waited until you returned home. It would have been much easier.

Although we have never had our room steward enter our cabin while we were in it, we make a habit of putting the "Privacy, please" card in the door. Sometimes you can be in the shower and not hear if they are knocking.

I remember a comment made by our cabin steward on our cruise in August that they had to deliver and put the ice in the refridgerator themselves because of "health safety" reasons.

It seemed reasonable that if they were the only ones to handle it, the chances of spread of Novo would be limited.

Anyway, if someone had heard this as well or some other variation, please let me know.

Regardless, it does seem right that if the CS knocks on the door, you should acknowledge it and give permission before they walk in.

I would have taken care of this whilst on board by speaking to the Room Steward's Supervisor. However, since you're home, write a letter to customer service. Include your booking number, cabin number, and steward's name. You should get a response back in about 6 weeks.

For future reference, we also put the Privacy Please sign on the door anytime we're in the cabin.

I remember a comment made by our cabin steward on our cruise in August that they had to deliver and put the ice in the refridgerator themselves because of "health safety" reasons.

I have seen and heard room stewards say that passengers can not help themselves to the ice in the room steward cart, in the past, for health and safety reasons. But I can't imagine what handing the ice bucket to the passenger that will be 'handling the ice bucket' inside the stateroom anyway would have to do with it. So, this confuses me just a bit.

Our cabin steward was constantly walking in our cabin throughout our cruise without knocking on the door.

You used the word "constantly".

I have a few questions -

Were you on your balcony and didn't hear him\her knock?

(this happened to me several times)

Were you in the shower and couldn't hear him\her entering?

(this happened to me. Lucky I had my robe on) :o

Did you stay in your cabin the entire time of your cruise?

CS's only enter the first day of cruise to introduce themselves.

Morning and night to clean and make the bed.

Or when you request something from him\her - Ice, egg crate, extra towel, etc.

Now, would I complain?

Absolutely not.

He\she was just doing their job.

If it was "constantly" like you said -

then I would have politely mentioned to him\her

to knock before hand.

Simple as that.

I have seen and heard room stewards say that passengers can not help themselves to the ice in the room steward cart, in the past, for health and safety reasons. But I can't imagine what handing the ice bucket to the passenger that will be 'handling the ice bucket' inside the stateroom anyway would have to do with it. So, this confuses me just a bit.

That mean when I knock I should bring a bucket of ice in January?;)

In my 21 cruises this has never been a problem for me. I believe this might be an isolated issue with this cabin steward. I'm not sure what good writing to customer service at Princess is going to do at this point. Issues like this should always be dealt with upfront on board the ship. I always place the "Do not Disturb" sign outside my cabin before I retire. Once I leave my cabin to go to breakfast the following morning I take down the sign and if I see my cabin steward in the hall I let him/her know I'm leaving and to please make up my room. Once I return the cabin is usually serviced. He/she should have replenished your ice bucket at that point. End of story. Is seems to me he's replenishing the ice bucket after servicing your cabin. He might be doing it for all his cabins instead of one at a time. Whatever the case it is unacceptable not to knock or to inconvenience you when you are in the cabin. I always keep my "Do not Disturb" sign up when I'm in my cabin. Cabin stewards should be the less obstructive as possible. I would have told him to please bring the ice when servicing the cabin. If he wouldn't comply I would have complained to the director of house keeping.

Maybe I'm getting really old but isn't there a double lock like latch on the cabin doors? I am pretty sure I was told if it was used the card key wouldn't work.

To answer the question, nope, never had an issue like a "walk-in." And if I did I would have put a quick end to it......actually all he/she would need do is walk in in me half naked once, he./she would never do it again!

Chuck

We sailed on the Nov. 1 sailing of the Sapphire to the Mexican Riv. Our cabin steward was constantly walking in our cabin throughout our cruise without knocking on the door. It not only happened to us but to another couple that was across the hall. Also does anyone know if it is a policy that they have to bring ice or room service all the way into your room? We never had a problem with our cabin steward....our room was always serviced when we were out...ice always kepts full in our frig. Room service always asked permission to come in and set the tray on the table. Our steward insisted he had to bring the ice into our room he also insisted this with the other couple even after one of them protested explaining that his wife was in the shower-the steward once again insisted that he had to and continued to walk in. We try to remember to put the "do not disturb" sign on the door whenever we are in the cabin and don't wish to have visitors knocking at the door or a surprise visit if we don't hear the knock. :eek:

I wouldn't bother at this point....but, that's your decision. It would have been better to address the situation when it happened.

I agree with the others who suggested the best time to handle this is onboard. However, beyond that, it seems to me that your approach might depend on what you think the intent of the steward was. We hear a lot of complaints about staff here on these boards. Some are sullen or just plain rude, and there is never an excuse for that. But it seems to me that some are overzealous and just trying way too hard --- an example of that might be a waiter who pushes really hard for diners to order dessert, or brings multiple desserts. Your steward may have just thought that "going the extra mile" was a good idea or might bring him an additional tip. A firm word to him or, if necessary, his supervisor should put a stop to it.

Maybe I'm getting really old but isn't there a double lock like latch on the cabin doors? I am pretty sure I was told if it was used the card key wouldn't work.

To answer the question, nope, never had an issue like a "walk-in." And if I did I would have put a quick end to it......actually all he/she would need do is walk in in me half naked once, he./she would never do it again!

Chuck

The few times I wanted to be sure I wasn't "suprised" by the cabin steward, I would double-lock the door - even his pass key/card couldn't open the door.

We were in P219.

When I say "constantly" it was everytime we were in our cabin, which we were there more than I thought we would be either to change, take a nap, or just relax while waiting for friends we met on the ship to finish up with dinner. We did end up finally locking the bottom lock and that was the only time he would knock, after that we started inserting our "privacy please". Had an inside cabin so it wasn't because we were on our balcony, and during showering one of us was always in the room.

I didn't say anything to the purser because I felt it would have been awkward if he knew that we complained about him. But I will remember to do that in the future.

I was actually surprised by the actions of a at least 2 of their Jr. Cruise Directors who are very active in a lot of cruise activities, they were fraternizing drunkenly with girls everynight in the Skywalker Lounge and at one point late one evening after lots of drinks he tried to have a conversation with one of the guys in our group about the urinals while displaying his...stuff, not sure if he forgot to zip up his pants...he just became the punchline of our jokes.

It was definately an educational experience. I will sail with Princess again, I don't hold a few isolated incedences against the whole cruise line, as well I know I could have done my part in keeping him from coming in my room, I was just curious if this was normal.

Well, McClure, it sounds like your trip became more eventful than you first described.......

We'll be on Lido...so, hopefully, we won't be seeing your steward. But, I have found that a lot of instances can be avoided with a simple statement made directly to the intruder......"DO NOT ENTER, UNLESS I'M NOT THERE"

And, poor behavior on a crewmembers part is NEVER acceptable and should always be reported!

And this is what this same OP said on another discussion!

I honestly don't think it matters what cruise line it is, people still get irate over stupid things.

Go figure.

Sad how some people get irritated over the little things instead of writing about the most exciting moments of their cruise. :rolleyes:

As the others have said, if you're upset, the first thing you should do is to go to the Pursar's Desk and say that you're upset and why. Secondly, you have a lock on your door AND you have a card to put on the door saying you're in the cabin and "Privacy Please."

If your steward did this once and you didn't do any of the above to prevent it the 2nd time, then I have to admit that I'm not 100% sympathetic. I'm sorry this happened but you had the ability to control and stop this immediately.

Hi there, it's just me again.................does it truly seem like mcclure2 was really upset? or just a cruiser who wasn't sure what to do at that point in time? Maybe they didn't know what should be done? As said

"I didn't say anything to the purser because I felt it would have been awkward if he knew that we complained about him. But I will remember to do that in the future."

Do you all truly read this as someone "complaining"?

Sorry I can't stick around any longer, I need to get back to something important, like the 49ers football game. Maybe the coach will drop his pants again, Chuck

Sad how some people get irritated over the little things instead of writing about the most exciting moments of their cruise. :rolleyes:

The OP was asking for advise. Is this not what this site is all about. :( We all have exciting moments on our cruises or we wouldn`t keep going back.

Archived