Do you remember Royal Caribbean of 20 years ago?

20 years ago, the Song of Norway, song of America and the Nordic Prince
offered costume parties and contests. Children as well had a costume parade and were rated. RCC supplied material to create costumes.There were theme nights, i.e. italian night, french night or whatever and the waiters provided the atmosphere to go with it. There were also dance contests. The Captain greeted you as you entered they dining room on Captain's night, there was a reason to get dressed up. The shows were Broadway Caliber.
Today, all takes on a different form, the shows are so-so, the waiters just march around the dining room and on each cruise it is the same "how well do you know your mate" at night - - - or silly pool contest or "name that tune" which few attend. If you are lucky, you'll see the Captain.
Although I have to say, on the Maiden Voyage of the Serenade of the Seas, NY to Nova Scotia last year, we had a Captain that mingled with the crowd and he popped up when and where you least expected him. What a Gem.
Do you remember those years or am I just toooo old.

No, you're not too old. We remember the cruises from the 1970's!!!!

Actually, I like the more toned down theme nights in the dining room. They still have the different foods each night. The costumes were fun, though, I agree.

I like the large ships they have now, and find them fascinating to roam around in.

The Windjammer is the BIGGEST improvement. Used to be you had to line up outside for a burger with a small salad bar if you didn't want to get dressed and go into the dining room for lunch. Also, breakfast was either continental in the cabin or in the dining room.

Loved cruising then, and love it now!!!

Peggy - RCI since 1973

That's the thing about waxing nostalgic, you tend to remember the things you liked and forget the things that weren't as nice.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

I loved the early ships. I can remember when Song of America was brand new. She came down the channel in Miami after we had already docked. Everyone was amazed how large she was! I also remember when a crew member named Henry served scrambled eggs out of a back window of a show room and the dining area for me was a lounge chair by the pool. That is a wonderful memory I will never forget.

On our first RCL (as it was called then) cruise on Nordic Prince, there were no "Broadway" or variety shows. But, they brought local entertainers to do folk dances and music and we found it charming. That sort of thing probably wouldn't go over today. Firstly, the show lounges were much much smaller - and therefore more intimate. The folkloric shows benefited from personal contact between the locals and the passengers.
Entertainment was concentrated in one lounge. You either went where there was entertainment or music, or you went outside to look at the stars. I am not who I was then, neither is anyone else. I just don't know if fancy dress parades would entertain 3,000 people

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

My first RCCL cruise was on the "Song of America" (1983). I loved it. I remember in the dining room at dinner they would serve your meat entree' then bring a selection of 4 vegetables around for you to choose from, instead of the veggies already being on your plate. They also had the dining room decorated for the gala dinner and we all got free champagne with dinner!!!

Kathy M

22 RCI Cruises and counting
2 Carnival Cruises

Mariner of the Seas 2004
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;5;2;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

My first RC cruise was on the Nordic Prince. Our room was so small you had to walk sideways by the bed to get to the closet. There were no doors on the closet - good thing because you wouldn't be able to open them. It still made us love RC and we have been sailing with them ever since. Even with the small sized rooms the ship was gorgeous.

I had forgotten about the choice of vegetables but remember our waiter coming around with large trays of meats offering "seconds" to whoever wanted.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Voyager of the Seas from Bayonne, NJ

Our honeymoon was on the Sun Viking, and we followed on the Song of America later with friends, and most of the other ships from RCI over the years, maybe missing one or two along the way. Each has it's own great memories and now looking forward to the Mariner soon. It's been great sailing along the way, but it was the Viking that hooked us.

Cruisin' since the 80's

Until Mariner 6/13/2004 Sailing

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

"Our" first cruise was on the Song of America. (I had been on 5 Cunard's previous to that.)

That was the one and only time we have been asked to dine at the Captain's table. We still take out the pics to look at.

I remember when the waiters used to come around with the choices of everything.

They used to dance and sing and thoroughly entertain us each and every night. We miss that.

However, times move on. We really do like the Radiance class ships. They just need to improve the food!!!!!!

Cunard - various ships over many years
Song of America
Grandeur of the Seas
Dreamward
Infinity
Azur
Sovereign of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img] Til the Brilliance in the Med.!!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Nordic Empress

<center>
[img]http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v20/lynnees/shipmar2.gif[/img] </center>
[img]http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v20/lynnees/marship.gif[/img]

My first cruise was in 1976 on the Song of Norway. My husband and I shared an inside room with my parents. I don't know how we did it, but we did. The cruise was wonderful. And as a previous poster said, we have a tendency to remember the good times and forget the bad. I even have a trophy I won at a pool contest.

Off again, this time on the Legend to Mexico
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;9;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
to Infinity and beyond
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;12;5;21;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Remember the orange and yellow bedspreads and drapes on the Nordic Prince? The paper crowns at your table for you to wear on captain's dinner night? The cabins on the Song of America were bigger than Nordice Prince, and the beds went together, on the Nordice Prince they didn't unless you took the mattresses off, turned them sideways, and held them up with milk crates! (A crew member taught us that trick...)

Ahhh the Golden age of cruising. We were on the Nordic Prince (to Bermuda) the Song of American and the Sun Viking (our favorite). Captain Bang was a pretty seasoned Captain in those days (he loved being the master of the Sun Viking) and the man is still sailing today! I recall that drinks and wine were really a bargain, and nobody told you that you couldn't bring liquor on-board from the ports. Some of you might be old enough to remember that they took the Song of Norway and the Nordic Prince,, cut them in half, and added a piece to make them larger ships. The only one that was left as she was originally built was the Sun Viking. When the Song of American made its debut, it was one of the largest and best ships in the world. Now, she would fit in the atrium of the Voyager class ships (smile). Many like these new oversized ships that try to pretend they are not really ships, but more like Hyatt Regencys. For us, we still love our ocassional cruises on smaller ships (when we can find one) where it feels like a real ship upon the sea.

Hank

During the cocktail party of the "repeat cruisers" the Captain of the Serenade of the Seas made mention of the Song of Norway.
We were the only couple raising our hand when he said " I don't suppose there is any one here that sailed on this ship."
Oh yea, memories.

Our first cruise was on the Song of America. We stayed in the Miami Omni for free and gathered in the lobby the following morning. We loved the excitement. Never made it to Labadee because of political unrest - still haven't after three tries - that's a lot of unrest! Several iterations of ship design later there is no going back nor would we want to. The cruise product for us continues to improve. We enjoy Celebrity style but have more fun on Royal C. because they have more places to dance.

Does any one relate to the Ocean liners sailing to Europe, i.e., the Washington, the America, the United States, the Europe, the Staatendam, etc.? These were ships with tourist class and first class passengers. Even toursit class passengers were always well dressed. First Class passengers frequented the night life of the tourist class lounges, since First Class was stiff and boring. We got a booklet will the names of ALL passengers and phone numbers. Your deck chair for which you had to pay a few dollars - had your name affixed to it. Wow, imagine that now ????

My husband & I were given a cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary on the Song of America. I remember the costume party, husband took third place as the beard lady, a very large police man won as the "hairy fairy" lol. I made a hat one afternoon in the lounge, all the supplies were there and won first prize that night. The prize was a set of four glasses with the RCL logo on them. We still have them in the orginal box! I remember the wonderful food, the fun, and all those smiling faces. It still brings a smile to my face.
In a week, I will sail on the Voyager as a 50th birthday present from my sister. I've learned from these boards that much has changed, and to lower my expectations. I've already told my sister, whenever I start a sentenace with..."twenty years ago on the Song of America" she is to stop me and remind me things change and to enjoy what is now before me. Wise words I think, and I look forward to my trip with her on the Voyager.

Our first cruise was on the Song of America back in 1986 (10th anniversary). Back then there was no buffet luncheon at embarkation, just the small sandwiches out on the back deck. Also remember when there was a dish of peanuts and pretzel mix on all the tables in the lounges. Times certainly have changed.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2325FF&cdt=2004;9;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] 
Caribbean Princess Sep 04

Nordic Prince, Sun Viking, Song of America were our first cruises.

The Sun Viking had the BEST, BEST pastry chef in the WORLD. He was the former pastry chef at the French Embassy in Washington D.C, and wow could than man and his staff make melt-in-your-mouth pastries. We have yet to find any better, anywhere!

Yes, we used to receive the passenger lists with phone numbers and home towns, too. Seems weird now.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

Not 20 years ago, but 12 years ago and I was on Viking Serenade and then we were both on Song of America, on its last voyage in 1999?. (I'd have to go and check the photo album for the exact year)

My question would be...when did the champagne glass towers and waterfall pouring go away? That was always such a fun event. They did it on Princess in 1994, and Song of America had no centrum, but there was one on Viking Serenade in 1992.?

-Patti [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Don't remember the ship's name, but in 1981, my (then) husband and I had met another couple from Oklahoma and we entered the custome contest. The ship provided things like crepe paper, tape, magic markers, etc. The 4 of us went as the "cruisin' catepillers", using the crepe paper to make one continuous costume. We actually won a prize.
Those were the days.

My first cruise was on the Song of Norway back in 1979. I was in the kids' program, and my brother was in the teens' program. It was Christmas time, and there were over 50 (yes, 50!) kids on board- oh wow! So, they hired two children's cruise directors who had us all going until all hours of the night and even took us on private tours of the islands- Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic), San Juan, and St. Thomas (I remember going to Coral World with the group). The costume parties were great, too. My brother found a lot of gold tinfoil, made an outfit, crown, and sceptor, and went as "The Nordic Prince". Serge was our maitre d', and he came by our table every night and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Those were the days when the waiters danced around with bottles of champagne and Baked Alaska (on fire, if I recall) on top of their heads. And Midnight Buffets EVERY night- I'll never forget the eagle sculpture made out of butter! Also, the flaming cherries jubilee at your table at dinner. Whatever happened to that? Boy, was I disappointed when I ordered it for dessert on the Explorer back in '02. I still have (in my old room at my parents' house) the ping pong trophy I won for my age group! Lots of great memories, but nothing can beat the feeling of being on the largest cruise ships at sea! In January while on the Mariner, we pulled in behind the SunDream (old Song of Norway) in St. Maarten. It's funny, I always remember it as being a big ship, but to see it dwarfed by the Mariner was quite something...

Fajita Pita

Song of Norway 12/79
Tropicale 12/84
Explorer of the Seas 08/02
Mariner of the Seas 01/04

Archived