Cruise insurance

mikefast

I posted in another place but this might be the right place. After taking nine cruises, I thought I knew it all but now have a question. We are leaving in 73 days. A close member of the family has a problem. Is not hospitalized, but not too well. Does the 60 day for pre-existing condition apply here, or wouldn't it even pay to get the insurance in this case? In other words, if there had to be hospitalization or worse just days before we were to leave, would the insurance even pay off as long as we got it before 60 days had elapsed?

When I was inquiring about insurance the other day, I asked a similar question. what I was told was that the pre-existing condition isn't just for the traveler, but for the person who is ill that you are canceling because of. Most consider pre-existing anything within the last 180 days. In my case, I had already paid the final payment and not able to cancel and rebook to get a "cancel for any reason" policy.

I went to insuremytrip.com and was able to chat live with an agent. You might want to try that if you have other specific questions.

I think it depends on the specific provisions of the policy; I don't recall seeing any that had a 60-day look back. It also will depend on the relationship with the relative and in some cases, whether or not your presence is required as a caretaker.

I know when we looked at insurance for our cruise, if we hadn't purchased insurance within 14 days of deposit the look-back period for pre-existing conditions was actually 180 days.

There is in fact one company that has the 60 day period and YES this situation is exactly what the pre existing condition clause is all about, you, someone in your party OR a relative that is not traveling with you at all.

If you can still get it with the 60 day waiver I would do so, also I notice that the companies have now moved to a 24 to 48 window of first payment for the waiver, where it used to be 14 days.

check out insuremytrip.com to compare policies and prices.

You need to check for the provision relating to how close the family member is. In many cases, it must be either a child, spouse, sibling, parent or grandparent. Some won't cover if it's for a cousin, aunt or uncle or any other non-immediate family member.

Archived