Monetary unit for French Polynesia

Skeezics

And, the currency on the Paul Gauguin is USD so you can use greenbacks on board....AND you can also change currency on board too... The rate at the banks is a bit better but the ship does not charge a transaction fee and I THINK (but not sure if I remember this correctly) they will change your pacific french francs back into USD at the same rate.

Travelers Cheques get a better rate than currency at the banks in French Polynesia.

We found that all the little shops and tents close to the

docks where the ship tender either took a credit card or

gladly took USA currancy. Now if you are suppose to get change

it will not be in USA currancy. LOL.

I would like an answer to this question from somebody who has recently been to FP -- as we haven't been there for about three years. Back then, you could get by well with US dollars and/or credit cards. I'd assume it would be the same now --- BUT when we went to the Caribbean last spring they would not take US dollars on many islands. They would take only local currency or Euros. It seems that our US dollar isn't the "world currency" it once was. That's why I'd request a recent report on FP. Who would ever have thought that the US dollar would be turned down in the Caribbean??:confused:

We are glad we had some local currency as it really seemed to work in our favor for pricing. We exchanged money at the bank in the airport. I know on the day at the private atoll in T'ahaa, there were vendors selling items on the beach that we got a much better deal buying with the local currency than their posted prices in USD>

However, when all was said and done, using our debit card was the best deal for us; we had no fees attached and got the best exchange rate. We used this when possible at the ports for buying things like pearls and goodies to bring home.

Really regretted not having picked up some local currency when we were on the PG a few months ago.

We had Regent transfers but a glitch in their system only provided us with 2 of the 3 we had prearranged. Unfortunately we didn't notice this until we were transported by bus to the port and tried to board the ferry -- which would not accept ANY currency other than local!! After a lot of panicking we found a store across the street that would accept US dollar or CC if we bought something, & then got the change just in time to not miss the ferry to Moorea where our Regent hotel was. Yikes.

Lesson learned for us -- just thought I'd share in case anyone else needs to catch the ferry.

bev

I always feel it is best to have some local currency -- no matter where in the world you are -- even if it is only a small amount. You never know where you will see a local selling a handmade item that would be a perfect gift for someone or you find a local dish to try. JMO

Archived