1st Big Carnival disappointment !!!!!!

Ron & Faye

After 11 cruises on Carnival and taking 61 cruisers with us since our first, I am so disappointed I am thinking of changing Lines. We booked over a year ago for an 8A balcony on Liberty for Feb. 09. We were assigned an 8A room and there was no fuel supplement. Also there was no Senior rate. Since then the rate has dropped (twice) and they have added a senior rate. I contacted my PVP with Carnival and advised him of the drop and new senior rate. He advised me he would get with his super. and get back with me. He called back a few days later and advised me the only way they would honor the new rate was if they added the fuel supplement and charged me for an 8B room which they assigned. Needless to say, I was not happy and called back to talk to his super. After arguing my point for over 40 minutes on the phone, that I had only booked an 8A and that the fuel supplement was not on when I booked and that THEY had assigned me this room and THEY had now changed the room catagory to 8B, they still refused to budge. I advised them I had been a Loyal Carnival Cruiser up to this point but I was now thinking I had spent a lot of time and money on the wrong cruise line. Their responce was Sorry, but that was all they could do. Anyone had anything like this lately. I know things are tight now, but I would think they would try to work with their customers to try to keep them coming back.

You want the 8A rate even though you are in a 8B cabin and dont want to pay the fuel to change cabins?? Have I got this right. Join the club.

I could have upgraded for $10 to a window from a inside, but they wouldnt let me because I had booked so far in advance, so I would owe more fees and fuel surcharges which I didnt want to pay.

Its been the story for months as the rates drop in this economy. Just go and have fun. I took a upgrade in lieu of the $60 on the last rate drop. If you were happy with the original rate and not paying any fuel surcharge, just leave it. Dont sweat the small stuff, enjoy your cruise. Getting bent out of shape because we thought we were smart booking so early and rates used to only go up and we got caught, opps. We are still cruising. thats what Im doing, still going and not getting upset because I didnt get some booking promo for seniors that was meant to fill the ship last minute.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY :rolleyes:

You want the 8A rate even though you are in a 8B cabin and dont want to pay the fuel to change cabins?? Have I got this right. Join the club.

I could have upgraded for $10 to a window from a inside, but they wouldnt let me because I had booked so far in advance, so I would owe more fees and fuel surcharges which I didnt want to pay.

Its been the story for months as the rates drop in this economy. Just go and have fun. I took a upgrade in lieu of the $60 on the last rate drop. If you were happy with the original rate and not paying any fuel surcharge, just leave it. Dont sweat the small stuff, enjoy your cruise. Getting bent out of shape because we thought we were smart booking so early and rates used to only go up and we got caught, opps. We are still cruising. thats what Im doing, still going and not getting upset because I didnt get some booking promo for seniors that was meant to fill the ship last minute.

You can't have it both ways, if you now want to take advantage of the senior rates that are "new", you also have to take the fuel supplement that is also "new".

You cant have all the discounts and no added taxes, it might be nice, but it just doesnt work that way I am afraid, we are all in the same boat, so get over it and have a fun cruise.

So, if you haven't made 'final payment', just cancel the booking, and re-book at the current rates being offered...:)

Just make sure that you'll be saving $$$ in the long run.. Sometimes it isn't what it looks like it should be..!:rolleyes:;)

IMHO..!

Just a thought.... maybe if you offered to move to what is now a 8A cabin, you could get the 8A rate? I understand that the way they recategorized the cabins, many folks got bumped up a category without changing cabins, but if there are empty 8A cabins that are not as mid cabin as the new 8Bs and you dont mind.... tell them you will take the 8A instead?

Just a idea. I was upset for all of about 10 seconds, and then got over it and took the upgrade in my case, they wouldnt make the adjustment, so I could have something of equal value to what I paid.

You booked a cruise you wanted and obviously, had it been too expensive to start with, you wouldn't have booked it!

Businesses aren't required to give price drops.

I've been saying for awhile, that as all this "inside info" that is spread on the internet becomes more and more widespread, that Carnival would end up unable to send out the 45-day letters and would stop allowing price drops.

Well, the 45-day letters have now stopped.

If people would stop being so greedy and demanding, then perhaps the cruiseline wouldn't have to stop giving an additional benefit or two occasionally.

But, of course, because one person gets something for nothing, everyone thinks they're entitled.

If you don't think you're getting fair value for what you paid, then spend your vacation dollars elsewhere. It's your prerogative.

After 11 cruises on Carnival and taking 61 cruisers with us since our first, I am so disappointed I am thinking of changing Lines. We booked over a year ago for an 8A balcony on Liberty for Feb. 09. We were assigned an 8A room and there was no fuel supplement. Also there was no Senior rate. Since then the rate has dropped (twice) and they have added a senior rate. I contacted my PVP with Carnival and advised him of the drop and new senior rate. He advised me he would get with his super. and get back with me. He called back a few days later and advised me the only way they would honor the new rate was if they added the fuel supplement and charged me for an 8B room which they assigned. Needless to say, I was not happy and called back to talk to his super. After arguing my point for over 40 minutes on the phone, that I had only booked an 8A and that the fuel supplement was not on when I booked and that THEY had assigned me this room and THEY had now changed the room catagory to 8B, they still refused to budge. I advised them I had been a Loyal Carnival Cruiser up to this point but I was now thinking I had spent a lot of time and money on the wrong cruise line. Their responce was Sorry, but that was all they could do. Anyone had anything like this lately. I know things are tight now, but I would think they would try to work with their customers to try to keep them coming back.

Evidently that is their policy, and I doubt they are the only cruise line that tacks on the fuel charge if you change rooms/rates. I wouldn't let this stress me or change my mind about Carnival. Go and have fun!!

Before you decide to switch away from a line that has made you happy for years, I would first investigate whether another line would have handled things differently. I think you'll find that the answer is "no". It seems to be a common refrain that ALL of the cruise lines tend to stick to their policies, even if it means disappointing loyal customers.

I understand that. It isn't about YOU so much as about precedent. As soon as they give it to you (especially if you were to talk about it on a site like Cruise Critic), they would be hard-pressed to deny it to the next guest. And the next. And the next. I'm sure they very much want to make YOU happy, but the precedent becomes dangerous if they then have to do it for everybody.

You can't have it both ways, if you now want to take advantage of the senior rates that are "new", you also have to take the fuel supplement that is also "new".

You cant have all the discounts and no added taxes, it might be nice, but it just doesnt work that way I am afraid, we are all in the same boat, so get over it and have a fun cruise.

Well said. You have to compare prices apples to apples (or lemons to lemons) , go and enjoy yourselves !

Ron & Fay - Sorry, but you didn't do your homework.

Standard policy is that if Carnival grants you a price drop to the current price they accordingly charge you the current fuel supplement. That's the policy and it's not unreasonable.

If you book a Guarantee (for example an 8A BL Guarantee) and are assigned a Balcony 8B, it's now the price of the 8B that you track, and that must drop. Otherwise, the policy is that to get the price drop for the 8A that you paid for, you have to give-up the 8B assignment and return to 8A TBA status and eventually be assigned another cabin. That's how it works.

Everything that happened to you is standard policy and not unreasonable.

ken

I guess I don't understand that if you had no fuel surcharge to being with, why you would have one if you change cabins. I am one of the people who complained to the Fl Attorney General about the fuel surcharges. I got nasty comments all over the map, but somehow when the fuel surcharges for those of us booked before they came up, got them removed, not a lot of people were singing our praises.

To me, I know it's an unpopular view, if you keep the same booking number, which can be done with upgrades etc. the fuel surcharge should not change. I would go to the Florida Attorney General with my concerns, if I were you, and see what is said.

The cruise lines have made millions on this fuel surcharge. I know initially it was needed, but now the way the cruise lines decide to implement it, it ridiculous. Look at the tickers, one day oil came to 53 cents above the $70 mark, so everyone looking at reductions are screwed.

You can be sure this will continue, as the cruise lines are making a ton of money on the surcharges. I know I will be flamed for my view, but, I am not one that feels the cruise lines charges are the end all. JMO

The passenger is making changes to the booking, therefore Carnival can also. If the passenger leaves the booking alone, the fuel charges stay as originally booked.

Carnival is effectively re-booking without making you actually re-book; they could just as easily make us re-book to get price adjustments, then the imposition of current fuel charge would be totally legal. ken

You booked a cruise you wanted and obviously, had it been too expensive to start with, you wouldn't have booked it!

Businesses aren't required to give price drops.

I've been saying for awhile, that as all this "inside info" that is spread on the internet becomes more and more widespread, that Carnival would end up unable to send out the 45-day letters and would stop allowing price drops.

Well, the 45-day letters have now stopped.

If people would stop being so greedy and demanding, then perhaps the cruiseline wouldn't have to stop giving an additional benefit or two occasionally.

But, of course, because one person gets something for nothing, everyone thinks they're entitled.

If you don't think you're getting fair value for what you paid, then spend your vacation dollars elsewhere. It's your prerogative.

I totally agree and think it's crazy that Carnival offers the price reductions that they do. I can see giving them up until final payment but all the last minute stuff has gotten rediculous. I book my cruises at a price I'm willing to pay. Eventually Carnival will wise up and adhere to their own policies.

I know it was reported that 45 day letters are no longer being sent but do you know if they are still honoring the ones they've already sent out? I have one but we aren't sailing til April so I haven't called. :)

since this is a place for opinion s..and this is just mine..

that i would treat each circumstance individually..for you, what started out as a fun filled anticiapation turn d into anger..

for your financial benefit..id cancel if you have nt already paid in full..and

if they ask why..you can explain to them the reason..

either sailing with CCL or another line i wish you a fun filled cruise..:)

I guess I don't understand that if you had no fuel surcharge to being with, why you would have one if you change cabins. I am one of the people who complained to the Fl Attorney General about the fuel surcharges. I got nasty comments all over the map, but somehow when the fuel surcharges for those of us booked before they came up, got them removed, not a lot of people were singing our praises.

To me, I know it's an unpopular view, if you keep the same booking number, which can be done with upgrades etc. the fuel surcharge should not change. I would go to the Florida Attorney General with my concerns, if I were you, and see what is said.

The cruise lines have made millions on this fuel surcharge. I know initially it was needed, but now the way the cruise lines decide to implement it, it ridiculous. Look at the tickers, one day oil came to 53 cents above the $70 mark, so everyone looking at reductions are screwed.

You can be sure this will continue, as the cruise lines are making a ton of money on the surcharges. I know I will be flamed for my view, but, I am not one that feels the cruise lines charges are the end all. JMO

JMO, Time to get the Fire Retardant suit out 'cause some of the people who post here are about to light you up like a Roman Candle. If you express an opinion that is not Pro-Carnival it's time to take cover. I think some of these posters are on the Carnival payroll. Good Luck my friend.

BTW, I agree with you.

I guess I don't understand that if you had no fuel surcharge to being with, why you would have one if you change cabins.

You arent paying fuel, let it go or cancel. You cant fight city hall and all I was saying is it doesnt help YOU to get all upset if you cant change something. Or keep calling until you get the reduction, but you cant get a 8A price if you are in a 8B. Only the 8B price. That is the bottom line.

All that stuff about making a ton of money on the fuel to me isnt true. You are assuming folks cant figure out the bottom line. So, Carnival is reducing the price for those that ARE paying the fuel surcharge, so their bottom line is better and more in line with what you are paying.

You do seem to be arguing about getting a 8A price when you are in a 8B and that's never going to happen on any line. The other, call back and try again if you dont like the answer? But dont expect to get the 8A price.

Think of it this way, they are paying the fuel and you aren't. Be happy about it. You won, you had it removed.

The cruise lines have made millions on this fuel surcharge. JMO

and you got this 'accurate information' from where??

I swear some people pull financial figures out of their butts. :rolleyes:

To the OP:

You have a right to be disappointed and to cancel and book with another line. I don't agree with your complaint but if you feel that strongly about it, cancel your cruise.

Perfect answer!;)

we are booked on rcl for 12/7 and have had two price drops. One before and one after final paymnent. We were able to take advantage of both and did not have to pay any higher fuel charge.:):)

ok, but is the fuel surcharge the same now as when you booked? If it is then I think you are missing the point.

ok, but is the fuel surcharge the same now as when you booked? If it is then I think you are missing the point.

RCL has (usually) allowed you to upgrade and change cabins even if you paid a lower fuel surcharge. Many posts including by a TA over on RCL threads named Sue that she has been able to make changes for her clients and not incur the new fuel surcharge from RCL.

RCL does seem to be getting more like Carnival ..... unfortunately, not allowing you to combine discounts and stack OBC after the end of the year. Too bad.

i'm surprised that after the travel history the OP gave us that he or she wouldn't be fully aware that folks on these cruises and airtravel for that matter usually pay a completly different price from one another, a family in the cabin next to you can pay hundreds of dollars less or more depending on the time of year, sailing date, where you actually bought the cruise, there are hundreds of resons why the price of certain iteneraries change day to day, and I can say that once my cruise or Airfare is paid. I don't worry for a second if I could have gotten it cheaper. It's a stretch but just a few months ago We paid nearly $4.00 a gallon for gas and Now what? under $2.00 and we are all not calling demanding our money back from Shell......How much are we taking here? $100.00....$200.00? I say pick your battles and this one the OP is going to lose, seems like you have only 1 option, go and have fun

Archived