Just back from the Monarch

Mamanance

We just got home Friday morning from the first cruise on the Monarch. Lots of people did not care for it. First thing when boarding we noticed it looked actually the same as the Sovereign. They were working on replacing carpet all over the ship, especially late in the night. The food in the Windjammer was not as good as the Sovereign either. Lots of pasta instead of meats. Maybe they are cutting back. The cabins are just as small, but one thing I really wasn't happy with, is that in the bathroom, there were no shelfs at all. So you had no where to put even a toothbrush. Also they had no safes on this ship. The bedding was very nice. Big soft comfortable down comforters and nice pillows. BUT, when I turned on the water in the sink it was gross. When you filled a glass it was completely cloudy, not just with air bubbles. When I poured it out, it had a brown tint to it. The crew said it was because it had been in dry dock for a week. The shower floor was old and stained.If you are a pool person, you might be surprised how they have the lounge chairs set up. They have the normal row of two's around the pool, but then they have a row of lounge chairs that are set up against this wooden heavy railing that also goes all the way around the pool area. You cannot lay back in these chairs. They cannot recline because of the wooden railing. Behind them is all wasted space with nothing there but two patio tables on each side. Very strange. I think someone was drinking to much when they designed this ship. Now the biggest peeve for everyone onboard, not just the ones who like to complain, was the theatre seats. In the middle section, they had all long rows of seats, with these very low rolled back cushions. So you couldn't lean back against the seat. They were so uncomfortable everyone was moving around and miserable. Also the cup holders that were on the side seats, were so big that a bottle would fall right thru them. The crew, was great. Very very nice. Oh and the food in the dining room was good. I would highly recommend that you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in there and avoid the Windjammer. All in all for the price it was fine. On the morning of departure we were in the Diamond waiting area and everyone was commenting on how they preferred the Sovereign and how they wished that RC would have sold the Monarch instead. Oh my, I forgot the highlight of my cruise. Our toilet on the last night did not work at all. The plumber was up in the hallway with the wall panel off working on this thing for over and hour. He finally got it working, and then in the morning I got up at 4 a.m. and guess what??? Yup, it was broken. I pulled on that nasty level twice and nothing. I had to call that early in the morning and have the plumber back up. But while waiting for him to arrive, my throne started rumbling and making these noises that you would have thought it was going to explode. I know for certain that it more then likely woke everyone within 10 cabins of us and the floor above and below. By then I had my husband up and we shut the door to the bathroom for fear it would blow off the wall. Then it stopped. My husband lifted the lid and there was no water at all in it. He pulled the level again. NOTHING, then five minutes later BA BOOM, another near explosion. By then the plumber was there, and we just got dressed and left the cabin by 5:15. Thank goodness there was another men's room on the same floor my husband could use. But what a way to end our cruise. So that is our take on the ship. I don't think I will go on it again.

Look at it this way. The Monarch needed to go into drydock. The one in Freeport is probably much less expensive than the one in San Francisco.

Hopefully, RCCL made some money on the cruise thru the Panama Canal, and since the East Coasters seem to like it less.........load it up with paying customers and bring it back where it belongs....here on the West Coast.

I could go for another 16 night Canal trip!!:D:D

Rick

We just got home Friday morning from the first cruise on the Monarch. Lots of people did not care for it. First thing when boarding we noticed it looked actually the same as the Sovereign. They are sister ships, why would it be any different?They were working on replacing carpet all over the ship, especially late in the night. The food in the Windjammer was not as good as the Sovereign either. Lots of pasta instead of meats. Maybe they are cutting back. The cabins are just as small,once again, sister ships but one thing I really wasn't happy with, is that in the bathroom, there were no shelfs at all. So you had no where to put even a toothbrush. Also they had no safes on this ship, non on Sovereign either. The bedding was very nice. Big soft comfortable down comforters and nice pillows. BUT, when I turned on the water in the sink it was gross. When you filled a glass it was completely cloudy, not just with air bubbles. When I poured it out, it had a brown tint to it. The crew said it was because it had been in dry dock for a week. The shower floor was old and stained, she will be 17 years old on Tuesday. If you are a pool person, you might be surprised how they have the lounge chairs set up. They have the normal row of two's around the pool, but then they have a row of lounge chairs that are set up against this wooden heavy railing that also goes all the way around the pool area. You cannot lay back in these chairs. They cannot recline because of the wooden railing. Behind them is all wasted space with nothing there but two patio tables on each side. Very strange. I think someone was drinking to much when they designed this ship. Now the biggest peeve for everyone onboard, not just the ones who like to complain, was the theatre seats. In the middle section, they had all long rows of seats, with these very low rolled back cushions. So you couldn't lean back against the seat. They were so uncomfortable everyone was moving around and miserable. Also the cup holders that were on the side seats, were so big that a bottle would fall right thru them. The crew, was great. Very very nice. Oh and the food in the dining room was good. I would highly recommend that you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in there and avoid the Windjammer. All in all for the price it was fine. On the morning of departure we were in the Diamond waiting area and everyone was commenting on how they preferred the Sovereign and how they wished that RC would have sold the Monarch instead. Oh my, I forgot the highlight of my cruise. Our toilet on the last night did not work at all. The plumber was up in the hallway with the wall panel off working on this thing for over and hour. He finally got it working, and then in the morning I got up at 4 a.m. and guess what??? Yup, it was broken. I pulled on that nasty level twice and nothing. I had to call that early in the morning and have the plumber back up. But while waiting for him to arrive, my throne started rumbling and making these noises that you would have thought it was going to explode. I know for certain that it more then likely woke everyone within 10 cabins of us and the floor above and below. By then I had my husband up and we shut the door to the bathroom for fear it would blow off the wall. Then it stopped. My husband lifted the lid and there was no water at all in it. He pulled the level again. NOTHING, then five minutes later BA BOOM, another near explosion. By then the plumber was there, and we just got dressed and left the cabin by 5:15. Thank goodness there was another men's room on the same floor my husband could use. But what a way to end our cruise. So that is our take on the ship. I don't think I will go on it again.

:confused::confused:

I have only sailed on the Sovereign as well, but I'm really looking forward to my trip in two weeks. I knew the ships were pretty much identical. I try not to book a cruise right out of drydock becasue things always seem to go awry.

Would mind telling me what floor and cabin you were in.

Sorry to hear you were not happy with your cruise on the Monarch.

I'm sure with all the people that DID cruise on her this week we will find SOMEONE that had a GREAT time.

I am looking forward to hearing about THEIR trip!

load it up with paying customers and bring it back where it belongs....here on the West Coast. Rick

Hold on just a minute Rick...you can't have her back now, she's a sophisticated East Coast lady now...and I'm sure I'll love her just as much as I did Sovereign... and Majesty...and Vision...and Rhapsody...and Legend...and Grandeur...

Hold on just a minute Rick...you can't have her back now, she's a sophisticated East Coast lady now...and I'm sure I'll love her just as much as I did Sovereign... and Majesty...and Vision...and Rhapsody...and Legend...and Grandeur...

:D:D;):D

Rick

I am just curious, what cabin were you in? I thought they have safes in the SO and the suites and a mini fridge :confused:

To the op, sorry it wasn't a good experience for you. We will be on the Monarch in January, we have nothing to compare it to since this is our first cruise ;) I am looking forward to it!

I am just curious, what cabin were you in? I thought they have safes in the SO and the suites and a mini fridge :confused:

To the op, sorry it wasn't a good experience for you. We will be on the Monarch in January, we have nothing to compare it to since this is our first cruise ;) I am looking forward to it!

They do have safes and mini fridge's in SO's and higher classes. They also have french press coffee makers in Grand Suites and higher.

Rick

Look at it this way. The Monarch needed to go into drydock. The one in Freeport is probably much less expensive than the one in San Francisco.

Hopefully, RCCL made some money on the cruise thru the Panama Canal, and since the East Coasters seem to like it less.........load it up with paying customers and bring it back where it belongs....here on the West Coast.

I could go for another 16 night Canal trip!!:D

Rick

I have booked this ship with your past comments in mind. :eek:

I'm looking for a new favorite little ship close to my new home in central FL and I hope I have you to blame. :rolleyes: ;) I mean to give credit to. :p

Oh, and by the way. I loved Majesty BEFORE her refurb but she was still acceptable afterwards. :)

I'm looking for a new favorite little ship close to my new home in central FL and I hope I have you to blame. :rolleyes: ;) I mean to give credit to. :p

Oh, and by the way. I loved Majesty BEFORE her refurb but she was still acceptable afterwards. :)

Hi Gina!!

I think that you are going to LOVE the Monarch!! So......you can blame me all that you want.

I've missed you online!!:)

Rick

Well we just booked her today for Dec 19th-22nd sure hope we will enjoy the trip. We only have been on Royal Carribean 1X before about 7years ago and had a good time, we have been on 15 cruises but all on Carnival. Everyone wanted to go on a different ship and cruise line this time and we really enjoyed cococay on the one we went on! So I am crossing my fingers that we made a good decision :) We'll find out soon:D

Dag, Gina, you're going to be on the Monarch when we are on the Majesty! Couldn't you switch, and postpone your test run on the Monarch?!?!??!?!!?

Archived