Sneaking a smoke...possible or not??

Megamania

I would think if someone is so allergic to smoke that they would need medical attention from a whiff of smoke on a balcony, then they would not be able to go ashore. Have you noticed the amount of smokers on the cruise stops, nearly everyone. Some even smoke in shops!

If you're referring to my post, what I said was " It takes very little to start me coughing, and very little more for my sinuses to start bleeding." A whiff of smoke won't do it. A whiff of smoke sends me elsewhere, or fast walking past the smoke source.

If I sat within 10 feet of someone smoking a cigarette and stayed until they finished, I would be coughing hard enough for it to take 30 - 60 minutes to get my breathing back to normal. So, I don't. Not can I still beside a fireplace...or a bonfire...burning candle...etc., etc. A night spent in a room not cleaned after heavy smoking would make my sinuses bleed, and a lot more things I won't treat you to mentioning.

No one is allergic to tobacco smoke! Tobacco smoke (and any other smoke) is not an allergen. However, smoke is a mild toxin (poison), and my reactions are extreme toxic ones.

Yes, I'm very limited by my respiratory issues. Like a diabetic or anyone else who has limitations, I take them for granted. For 20 years, I was unable to eat out in a restaurant (only when there is no smoking anywhere in the restaurant can I eat there). When in port, I usually wear a device around my neck that helps with breathing in case I need it.

And I absolutely know very few people have my kind of problem.

I don't need smoking rules to cater to my extreme reactions. I don't want to ban smoking. I respect the (shrinking) rights of smokers. I don't think I'm going to get cancer from second-hand smoke - I know that takes years of exposure. I don't have any issue with smokers who follow the rules. And believe it or not, I get P.O.'ed at non-smokers who go where smoking is allowed, then whine about it!

My 2 prior posts on this thread (and this one) are only pleas for smokers to follow the smoking rules, because for a small minority of us, the stakes are higher than you'd expect.

Don't know about Disney - my kids are a little too old for the "Mouse Brigade" thank goodness.....I wasnt sure I'd survive the years of the Purple Dinasour and that was bad enough! ;)

Here's a list of all the lines' smoking policy:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225

Carnival got rid of the Paradise being smoke free because they learned lots of religious groups who also were nonsmokers liked booking that ship in group sails-these groups also did not drink or gamble. That ship was losing money big time. Although the fares rarely got discounted for that ship-they were not making enough money onboard.

I certainly thought Disney said no smoking on balconies-but then we don't smoke-and that was 4 years ago when we cruised the Wonder-my memory is often faulty.

I would think if someone is so allergic to smoke that they would need medical attention from a whiff of smoke on a balcony, then they would not be able to go ashore. Have you noticed the amount of smokers on the cruise stops, nearly everyone. Some even smoke in shops!

My daughter uses an inhaler and she carries it everywhere-now in our state-she does not have a problem as much a sshe used to-as everyone now must smoke outside a public building-but she still carries it, for just in case.

She did have a problem BIG TIME when we were in England and Belguim in the late 90's. The last trip we took "over the pond" she was not with us, but it seemed there were not as many smokers as before. (last year) It seems there are less and less smokers everywhere. We hope to go to Paris next summer and she is going with us. She will bring her inhaler.

Now, if she can leave an area where people are smoking, (such as peopel outside) she normally does that, she will only need her inhaler if she cannot leave for some reason. Walking past smokers outside does not seriously bother her-unless she lingers. It is like the longer she is in contact, the tighter her chest closes up. Once her chest starts closing, she must use her inhaler.

It is a pretty serious condition. My MIL quit smoking when my daughter was 4 years old because of this and this only. She had smoked nearly 40 years, and I doubt she would have for any other reason, certainly not for someone else's child. It being her granddaughter made it differant.

But as I said, not only cigerette smoke bothers her. If our neighbors burn leaves, this happens to her. A couple of years ago when north Florida had that huge forest fire, a few times we smelled it here, she could not even go outside-and even inside the house she was using her inhaler. I was really concerned that time, as I was afraid we may would need to take her to the emergency room-but fortunately she did okay.

If you're referring to my post, what I said was " It takes very little to start me coughing, and very little more for my sinuses to start bleeding." A whiff of smoke won't do it. A whiff of smoke sends me elsewhere, or fast walking past the smoke source.

If I sat within 10 feet of someone smoking a cigarette and stayed until they finished, I would be coughing hard enough for it to take 30 - 60 minutes to get my breathing back to normal. So, I don't. Not can I still beside a fireplace...or a bonfire...burning candle...etc., etc. A night spent in a room not cleaned after heavy smoking would make my sinuses bleed, and a lot more things I won't treat you to mentioning.

No one is allergic to tobacco smoke! Tobacco smoke (and any other smoke) is not an allergen. However, smoke is a mild toxin (poison), and my reactions are extreme toxic ones.

Yes, I'm very limited by my respiratory issues. Like a diabetic or anyone else who has limitations, I take them for granted. For 20 years, I was unable to eat out in a restaurant (only when there is no smoking anywhere in the restaurant can I eat there). When in port, I usually wear a device around my neck that helps with breathing in case I need it.

And I absolutely know very few people have my kind of problem.

I don't need smoking rules to cater to my extreme reactions. I don't want to ban smoking. I respect the (shrinking) rights of smokers. I don't think I'm going to get cancer from second-hand smoke - I know that takes years of exposure. I don't have any issue with smokers who follow the rules. And believe it or not, I get P.O.'ed at non-smokers who go where smoking is allowed, then whine about it!

My 2 prior posts on this thread (and this one) are only pleas for smokers to follow the smoking rules, because for a small minority of us, the stakes are higher than you'd expect.

Fannish-you must have what my daughter has and you are right-techinicially-it is not an allergy-but an "irritant"-that is what my daughter's doc said. Smoke just for some reason irritates her lungs terribly.

I "get" what you are saying too, not only because of my daughter, but I have diabetes and I know I can't eat certain things, even if friends think I am going too far when I say I can't eat at certain restaurants a sI know any meal I order will run my blood sugar up too much.

But I don't expect others to comply to my needs. Often friends and my hubby will go to a certian restaurant, I just don't go with them. I don't mind. i do not feel they should ahve to sacrifise for me. The same goes for my daughter, she does not expect everyone to change for her. We would never dream of telling our neighbors to please bag their leaves every fall as we do-instead of burning them. Instead, my daughter will just stay in the house away from the smoke.

Now if a person worked in an office, and smoking was allowed in their office, and the guy in the next cubicle was a chain smoker, yes they may have a valid complaint. But the neighbor stepping out for a smoke on the balcony, no.

Thank You , Thank You Momofmeg.....finally,,,,,reasonable.......honestly,,,I hear you all,,,,it has gone from a whiff of smoke in open air nearly causing death,,,,to perfume.....to drinks being smuggled,,,,,etc.etc. Momofmeg gave me the info I was looking for or should I say a tip....I am going to check the Lido deck staterooms to see if there is still space...as being closer for the morning or night time smoke,,,where it is allowed,,,,where no one is going to start yelling at me,,,,,,,,and waving their arms around,,,,,that would be great....I will call my agent right now!!

As I said,,,it was a mistake of the smoking laws changing on Celebrity and already having my short trial cruise booked....I just really want to have a good time,,,that;s it.

To the grandparent concerned about their grandchild,,,I hear you, our daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes....it has been hell around here for the last year,,,,,hubby and I just wanted a relaxing break,,,smoke and drink when and where we want,,,spend quality time together,,,etc.etc.Bottom line the booking with X was a mistake,as we found out. As I said before....live and learn.

When a loved one is inflicted with any type of illness,,,obviously you are more aware of hazards,,,,but everyone please be reasonable.

It is sad,,,but pretty soon,,not only will smoking be regulated,,,but we will be told what food we are allowed to eat,,,,whether or not we can wear perfume,,,,the list goes on. Hey,,,they are trying to impose a law in Canada that says you "have" to purchase snow tires or you will not be allowed to drive on the roads!!" Get the drift.

All I can say is I hope this thread ends so all the little back and forth stuff stops....i do not like to see feelings hurt, etc.

I will be a good girl....honest,,,,,trust me,,,I am scared of some of you.

But Momofmeg,,,you are the winner,,,your suggestions and comments were very helpful and "reasonable"..

Actually,,I am looking forward to the trip,,,even with concessions having to be made. Again,,,thanks to everyone. I do find the topics/info on these boards to be very informative to say the least.

Happy Sailing to you all;)

LOL! You will have a wonderfull cruise, trust me! As a former smoker (oh, I had to have one before I even got out of bed in the morning as well as one right before bed), you'll be just fine. There are plenty of areas to smoke. I liked the sweats and t idea and there are plenty of places where there will be no other people at night out on the deck. I am so sorry you got caught up in this!

If I may, I also have asthma, not so much anymore, it's controlled by Advair. I made a choice that was right for me, not because I was harrassed, cajoled, insulted, etc.......I do not mention to my DH that he should quit. So, if my dh's own wife wouldn't mention it, why would he listen to people on a bulletin board.? I appreciate all sides to a debate, but when people interject with their opinions and snide remarks, it just degrades the whole thread. It would be nice just to say, "no, you cannot do that as they may fine you according to the new rules" and let the rest just go. Flame away, won't be the first time.......

Do you realize how much the cruise ships put into the air vs a smoker:rolleyes:

Yes, but I am not standing next to the smoke stack on my balcony! I expect to be able to use my balcony without breathing in the smoke from next door.

Totally agree. How would over weight people like it if I (at 100lbs) saddle up to them in the buffet line and start preaching how over weight they are and that they should not be eating all the fryed food because it will harden the arteries etc. Or saddle up to a person drinking and explain to them how that drink is destroying their liver. Yep I can see that going over really well. If I was that fluffy person I would grab another deep-fryed onion rings and as a drinker I would have another drink and salute you. People do not realize that - that is what smoker do (have another cig).

I don't know what the taxes are in the US, but it is the smokers that help keep our government out to debt. Must be true because when price of smokes go up, smuggling goes up and the government then really cracks down. They don't want to miss out on the taxes.:rolleyes:

It is a truly amazing, socially responsible approach you cite: how charitable it is of smokers to endanger their health to support their government's tax revenues.

You confuse contexts: I do not suggest going after smokers to help them - any more than I suggest going after overweight people to force them onto a diet, or drinkers to help them save their livers. Responsible eating is necessary for survival, an occasional drink (particularly red wine) can enhance health and well being. No amount of smoking is beneficial.

I do not care what people do as long as they do no harm to others; drunks who drive on roads with me, and smokers who pollute the air I should reasonably expect to be unpolluted should expect their "rights" to be called into question when they start to encroach upon my rights.

Yes, but I am not standing next to the smoke stack on my balcony! I expect to be able to use my balcony without breathing in the smoke from next door.

Make sure you check which way the wind is blowing. The smoke from the smoke stacks may be coming your way.:eek:

Ever watch a Carnival ship coming, now that is a bad air problem.

Make sure you check which way the wind is blowing. The smoke from the smoke stacks may be coming your way.:eek:

Ever watch a Carnival ship coming, now that is a bad air problem.

Confused contexts again -- sure smokestacks emit a whole lot more smoke --but it is (sadly) necessary to get the ship to move -- which is, after all, the point of the exercise. There is NO necessity (nor any right)for a smoker to put tobacco smoke into air which I have the right to believe will not contain tobacco smoke.

Hmm, I think maybe you have contexts and priorities confused....

Confused contexts again -- sure smokestacks emit a whole lot more smoke --but it is (sadly) necessary to get the ship to move -- which is, after all, the point of the exercise.

True, but cruiseships are not NECESSARY, they are purely the 'WANT' of a select group of people who wish to sail on them - a very small percentage of the world's population. No doubt it wouldn't take long to find a thousand tree hugging environmentalists who would blast you for damaging THEIR enviornment like that. You don't want smokers to 'ruin' your atmosphere, and enviornmentalists don't want YOU ruining their atmosphere. Pot meet kettle.

There is NO necessity (nor any right)for a smoker to put tobacco smoke into air which I have the right to believe will not contain tobacco smoke.

Any environmentalist/greenie could make the exact same argument against cruise ships and their funnel smoke. Not to mention all they dump in the ocean - I've seen their 'waste stream'.

Confused contexts again -- sure smokestacks emit a whole lot more smoke --but it is (sadly) necessary to get the ship to move -- which is, after all, the point of the exercise. There is NO necessity (nor any right)for a smoker to put tobacco smoke into air which I have the right to believe will not contain tobacco smoke.

You are not going to be able to make that logic work in the long term. Following that, one can also state that there is no necessity to move that ship at all if it means that it will be polluting the air that the islanders have every right to expect will remain unpolluted.

The bottom line is this: both sides of the discussion need to realize that treating each other with dignity is the first step.

You are not going to be able to make that logic work in the long term. Following that, one can also state that there is no necessity to move that ship at all if it means that it will be polluting the air that the islanders have every right to expect will remain unpolluted.

The bottom line is this: both sides of the discussion need to realize that treating each other with dignity is the first step.

The fact that this discussion is taking place on Cruise Critic might be seen as granting that cruise ships do exist and do move for some valid purpose.

How many of the "islanders" you mention would be better off if no cruise ships called at their islands?

Whether or not cruise ships should exist is a valid question -- however, there can be little question about the value of tobacco smoking. I do not care whether people lack the sense or will power to stop smoking, given all that is known about it. I am simply bored by their rationalizations -- and justifiably offended by their encroachment on my air.

"It is sad,,,but pretty soon,,not only will smoking be regulated,,,but we will be told what food we are allowed to eat,,,,whether or not we can wear perfume,,,,the list goes on. Hey,,,they are trying to impose a law in Canada that says you "have" to purchase snow tires or you will not be allowed to drive on the roads!!" Get the drift."

Curtailing people's freedoms is a frightening thing that seems to be becoming more prevalent. There was some town recently that wanted to pass a law that restaurants couldn't serve overweight people. Right now they might not be curtailing anything that is important to you, maybe you don't smoke and aren't overweight, but don't worry they will get to you if it's allowed to continue. Maybe that TV program or book series you like won't be considered healthy for you mentally...

There needs to be give and take on both sides of the smoking issue, but when people make light of or call people "anal" about it I think they are in denial that it can be a real problem for some people. I ended up in the hospital when traveling in England because of someone smoking where it wasn't allowed. We were in a non smoking B&B, we went to bed and woke up with the room smelling strongly of smoke and my asthma beyond the help of my inhaler. The people in the next room had been smoking heavily and apparently the ventilation brought it right into our room. We picked that B&B in part because it was supposed to be smoke free and the smokers should have picked one where they were allowed to smoke. They apologized alot and the lady who ran the B&B was very sweet, but I lost a couple of days of my vacation. At least that was all I lost, people die from asthma attacks like that all the time.

If I know that certain areas, restaurants, bars etc are going to have smoke I am happy to take the responsibility of avoiding those places, but if you break the rules and smoke where I am not expecting it or I can't avoid it then that's a problem for me.

Effective October 1, 2008 for all Celebrity ships, smoking will no longer be permitted inside any stateroom or on any stateroom veranda. Cigarette smoking will only be permitted in designated indoor and outdoor areas of the ship, while cigar and pipe smoking will only be permitted in designated outdoor areas. Smoking will not be permitted in any dining venue, theater, hallway, elevator or corridor. Violations to this smoking policy will result in a $250 cleaning fee being charged to the guest's onboard account and may also be addressed through Celebrity Cruises' Guest Conduct Policy. Cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco must be properly disposed of and never thrown overboard. A guest must be at least 18 years of age to purchase, possess or use tobacco onboard.

It appears that no, you cannot smoke on your balcony. I guarantee, most non-smokers will probably report this violation in an instant. The worst that would happen is that you would be asked to leave the ship.

I think they're just doing this to get you out of your cabin and into a bar to buy more.

Oh this should get the non smokers in an uproar.:D

Fun'n'sun, that snow tire thing is just in Quebec right now. I was talking to a guy today from Que. and wondered if the Que. Gov't was getting a kickback from the tire companies.

YES! And that is exactly why, when the OP asked her original question (which was, if anyone can remember that far back: will she get caught if she sneaks a smoke on her balcony), I asked her to NOT do that. Because the truth is, whether you get caught doing it or not, it's just plain inconsiderate to your neighbors who may very well have chosen this cruise line BECAUSE of the assurance they won't have to smell tobacco smoke on their balconies.

Seems to me her question has been answered, tips and suggestions were offered, she agreed not to do it, and alls well that ends well. There are plenty of other smoking threads in which foks can continue the ever-ongoing debate about smoking...but this one, I believe, has run it's course. IMO. :)

I have said if a ship is smoke free it should be just that. However, I would hate to see somone thrown off the ship and lose their cruise just because I had a whiff of smoke on the balcony.

If someone smokes on their balcony or anywhere else it is prohibited on a Celebrity ship (or any ship that has smoking regulations), then they deserve the consequences of their actions. It's really that simple.

I bought RCL stock after the new smoking policy went into effect and cruise on Celebrity and Azamara in very large part because of the stricter smoking policy. Any relaxation of the current rules or lack of enforcement thereof by staff is not something anyone onboard should tolerate. I won't look the other way, and staff shouldn't, either.

The fact that this discussion is taking place on Cruise Critic might be seen as granting that cruise ships do exist and do move for some valid purpose.

That's a logical fallacy. The existence of cruises does not make their actions valid. Again, by that logic, because there are smokers their use of any space to smoke withing in therefore valid.

Whether or not cruise ships should exist is a valid question -- however, there can be little question about the value of tobacco smoking. I do not care whether people lack the sense or will power to stop smoking, given all that is known about it. I am simply bored by their rationalizations -- and justifiably offended by their encroachment on my air.

Many people enjoy cruises. Many people enjoy smoking. Both are ethically equal in that regard and the 'value' of each is relative to the participants. I am certain that many would say that cruises are of no value and their existence is a blight.

Your righteous outrage is ethically and logically no different than that of the smoker who feels that any encroachment on their behavior is wrong. Or the cruiser who feels that anyone who enjoys a cruise differently than they do is wrong and their behavior bad.

The only real issue is this: both parties need to find a way to treat each other with respect-- without belittling the other's choices. Zealots on both sides do more harm than good to their cause.

Well, if it was just a philosophical discussion on the internet that would be accurate, but since it has actual real world impacts - it's not.

How many of the "islanders" you mention would be better off if no cruise ships called at their islands?

Sooo, it's really about the lesser of evils - and the lesser ones aren't as important? Ok - second hand smoke kills way less than global pollution - so let's not worry about smoking on a cruiseship since it's the lesser of the two evils with way less impact and worry about the environmental hazards of the ship itself. And - the second piece to that arguement - it's ok to negatively impact a population's health as long as there's an economic positive? Great - cigarette taxes produce lots of money for state coffers while private insurance foots the bulk of the expense :)

Whether or not cruise ships should exist is a valid question -- however, there can be little question about the value of tobacco smoking.

Well, you think that way - but an environmentalist and a smoker would have differing viewpoints.

I do not care whether people lack the sense or will power to stop smoking, given all that is known about it. I am simply bored by their rationalizations -- and justifiably offended by their encroachment on my air.

No doubt an environmentalist could say they don't care whether cruisers (or car owners) lack the sense or social concern or self-restraint to stop polluting the environment and killing many thousands worldwide given all they know about it - but are simply bored by their selfishness and rationalizations and justifiably offended by their encroachment of the clean air of the entire rest of the world.

Of course non-smokers who drive cars and go on cruises reject all other valid arguments about their own contribution to the global pollution problem, the illness of others, causing the death of others - because to do so would be to admit they are an even bigger part of the problem. Very tough to do when restricting others rights under the guise of claiming to be the righteous protectors of health. Even tougher because to actually put actions behind the platitudes means that they themselves would have to give up things - such as cars and cruiseships. They'd much rather focus the attention on a smaller group doing not nearly as much damage - kind of like the kids in school who pick on others to be sure they aren't the ones picked on.

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up.

Curtailing people's freedoms is a frightening thing that seems to be becoming more prevalent. There was some town recently that wanted to pass a law that restaurants couldn't serve overweight people. Right now they might not be curtailing anything that is important to you, maybe you don't smoke and aren't overweight, but don't worry they will get to you if it's allowed to continue. Maybe that TV program or book series you like won't be considered healthy for you mentally...

In USA Today, November 18th. Major hotel chains are banning smoking in their hotels. Results of a survey...89% of the respondants said they did not want a "smoking" room, up from 76% a year or two ago. I think this is not an ethical or social decision on the part of the cruise lines, but a business one. Posters cite the "Paradise" and how it failed. The timing was off, much has changed in the last five years. Even though we are the guests, I think it we should repect our host's wishes and smoke only where permitted. It separates us from the animal kingdom. I am one year smoke free but believe everyone's rights should be considered.

It's one of the few polite civil threads on the topic, I see no reason to close/delete/lock the thread. If you don't wish to read it, which is certainly your choice, you don't have to.

the OP has moved on to the Celebrity board.

Could we all move on too? The horse is beaten to death once again.

Maybe it's time to close the thread.

Archived