Sneaking a smoke...possible or not??

Megamania

I am sitting here smoking as I read through this thread, and I too think it is one of the more civil I have read!!

I agree, a smoker should follow the rules, and only smoke in designated areas, and how unlucky is the OP:( I have booked a cruise, and, at the moment, the rules state I can smoke in the cabin. However, the cruise is 10 months away, so who knows what can happen in that time???

Now, my question is, as a smoker, my clothes stink, my hair stinks, my breath etc etc, and this will easily be picked up by a non-smoker right? So am I going to be a pariah in the dining rooms, theatres and other places, even though I will not be smoking at that moment:eek:

It's one of the few polite civil threads on the topic, I see no reason to close/delete/lock the thread. If you don't wish to read it, which is certainly your choice, you don't have to.

I agree it is a very civil thread considering the topic. Maybe we all have heard everything (pros/cons) before, so people aren't taking things to heart as much as they normally would. :cool:

Because the threads usually get nasty and then go POOF and then there is no 'history' on the topic on the boards. Leaving it here means we don't have to go through it all again :eek:

I agree it is a very civil thread considering the topic. Maybe we all have heard everything (pros/cons) before, so people aren't taking things to heart as much as they normally would. :cool:

I am sitting here smoking as I read through this thread, and I too think it is one of the more civil I have read!!

I agree, a smoker should follow the rules, and only smoke in designated areas, and how unlucky is the OP:( I have booked a cruise, and, at the moment, the rules state I can smoke in the cabin. However, the cruise is 10 months away, so who knows what can happen in that time???

Now, my question is, as a smoker, my clothes stink, my hair stinks, my breath etc etc, and this will easily be picked up by a non-smoker right? So am I going to be a pariah in the dining rooms, theatres and other places, even though I will not be smoking at that moment:eek:

How bold of you to state that you are having a smoke. LOL:D:D

Yes, everyone has rights these days. You even have the right to stink if you want to, but please don't sit next to me.

Tip, I think your answere a little short. I would only say, that in the theatre etc you may be sat on your own, but who cares, you can spread out a little if you want to:D:D This has been one of the more civil threads on this subject and see no reason for finishing, after all, I hear no fat lady singing, but being overweight, is on here as well I see:D

Not a pariah but other will be able to smell the stink on you even if you can't. My mother is a smoker and is in complete denial about what she and her home smell like. I cannot even ride in a car with her anymore because she reeks! It is hard to believe that a smokers sense of smell gets so distorted but it is true. You often have a horrible odor that can be smelled just when walking past someone.

I do not wish to be harsh, but I do find myself surprised that you asked this question. Most people I know that smoke are fairly well aware of how obvious it is to others that they smoke...and how unpleasant their odor can be to non-smokers. This is not meant to be critical - just a statement of fact. Cigarette smoke is a powerful smell, and it clings to every part of you, every article of clothing you wear, and permeates any space you smoke in, remaining there for a long time. I personally find the odor to be sickening, and will ask to be moved if I find myself seated next to someone who reeks of it. This is not any kind of judgement on smokers - it is simply self-preservation.

I would also ask to be moved if someone was seated next to me that reeked of any other powerfully unpleasant odor...B.O., bad halitosis, a particularly onerous perfume. Again, not a judgement - but I sure don't want to be stuck trying to enjoy a wonderful meal while gagging!

I do not wish to be harsh, but I do find myself surprised that you asked this question. Most people I know that smoke are fairly well aware of how obvious it is to others that they smoke...and how unpleasant their odor can be to non-smokers. This is not meant to be critical - just a statement of fact. Cigarette smoke is a powerful smell, and it clings to every part of you, every article of clothing you wear, and permeates any space you smoke in, remaining there for a long time. I personally find the odor to be sickening, and will ask to be moved if I find myself seated next to someone who reeks of it. This is not any kind of judgement on smokers - it is simply self-preservation.

I would also ask to be moved if someone was seated next to me that reeked of any other powerfully unpleasant odor...B.O., bad halitosis, a particularly onerous perfume. Again, not a judgement - but I sure don't want to be stuck trying to enjoy a wonderful meal while gagging!

The question was asked in jest:rolleyes: as a lot of posters have said the mere whiff of smoke can be detected. Another attempt at brit humour on here which as fallen flat yet again!!!!:confused:

The question was asked in jest:rolleyes: as a lot of posters have said the mere whiff of smoke can be detected. Another attempt at brit humour on here which as fallen flat yet again!!!!:confused:

Guess some people didn't find it funny. I did.:eek: Try the perfume thing that some got a tad bit upset about. At least you will smell better maybe if it is the right perfume

In my experience you must ask to be moved an awful lot of times!

Actually, in all of my cruises, I've NEVER had to ask to be moved from my assigned table. I guess I've been fortunate that I've never been assigned to sit next to someone who really reeked! I have moved in other situations, however...movie theaters, land restaurants...and I did ask once for another table at breakfast on a cruise, because they sat us at a table with a group of people who must have all just come from their morning cigarette. There was no way I could've eaten my breakfast at that table. Again, it's not a judgment thing - I have nothing against smokers as a class. It's just a matter of not wanting to have to smell something I find putrid while I'm eating. And I wouldn't want any smokers in this thread to think that this is any kind of a criticism to them - it's not. But it's probably good for smokers to be aware that there are folks like me who find the odor distasteful, and to not be offended when a non-smoker doesn't want to sit next to them.

Part of the issue for me may be that I live in SoCal, where the percentage of smokers is probably lower than in many other parts of the country, and the world for that matter. I actually don't even know anyone in my immediate circle of family, friends and co-workers who smokes. So when I encounter someone who does, it really jumps out at me.

My daughter briefly dated a guy who smoked, and I knew it the moment I met him. Fortunately, he was very conscious of the smell - he always smoked outdoors, never in a car or house or other enclosed space, and he was careful to blow the smoke away from himself. I could still always smell it on him, especially when he talked - but it was much less noticeable on him than on other smokers I've encountered. I had no problem having him at my dinner table. So it IS possible for smokers to limit the smell that clings to them, if they want to. Problem is, most of them don't...which is understandable because it probably doesn't bother them, or the people they live with/hang out with. They just need to be aware that there ARE lots of people like me who are particularly sensitive to it, and might not want to sit next to them for any length of time.

Not quite sure how I can limit the smell that will cling to me:confused: How will I know:confused: But hey, as I said my post was a shot at humour that fell flat:(

I'll try the perfume thing.....but I wear Opium:D

Not quite sure how I can limit the smell that will cling to me:confused: How will I know:confused: But hey, as I said my post was a shot at humour that fell flat:(

I actually did think you were serious. Oh well. As for limiting the smell of smoke that clings to you, if you are really serious about this (can't tell with you! ;)) my suggestion would be to ONLY smoke outdoors, never in an enclosed space; always blow the smoke downwind; hold your cigarette away from you so the smoke coming off it doesn't get all over your clothes; carry a small thing of mouthwash with you and rinse your mouth out after smoking. It won't eliminate it, but it will make it more tolerable for the non-smokers around you.

I'll try the perfume thing.....but I wear Opium:D
Hey, that's my favorite scent too! :D Just be careful to use it sparingly. My feeling about perfume is that the only people who should smell it on me are those that get close enough for a hug.

Speaking of perfume. Poison (really strong by DIOR) used to cause a nose bleed in my Mother if she was too close!

Use a spray next time, less risk of hitting her with the bottle:D:D Sorry couldn't resist, I know how she reacts, my mother had the same reaction to Brut back in the 70's gee I must be gettin old:D:D

We are looking forward to our smoke free cruise this christmas on our cruise last December on princess we had a couple in the cabin forward of ours that would go onto their balcony every moring just after our cresants and coffee would arrive and proceed to cough up part of their lungs spit it over the balcony rail then light a smoke or two... no smoking on cruise ships balconies is a good thing:)

This is a very touchy question and frankly I am surprised that this thread is still alive..

With the cruise lines restricting smoking, some worse than others, I choose very carefully which line I spend my money with.. As have been posted earlier, the "X" is really cracking down, RCCL is headed that same route.. Currently CCL still allows smoking in their cabins as well as on the balconies. (And that is why I choose to sail with them) No offense to the non-smokers however I choose to smoke and do enjoy a relaxing smoke with a night cap before bed at night. Nothing beats the morning coffee and a smoke on the balcony in the morning, well almost nothing.. ;)

I am not trying to start up the smoking, non-smoking debate, just pointing out that in these stressful times with the economy, do your research, and choose the line that fits your lifestyle the best. It is your vacation after all, your hard earned cash, so why not enjoy yourselves the best that you can. (While following the rules)

Enjoy your cruise folks.

I use to smoke. Quite for the 3 and final time in 1996. Do not miss it at all now. I quite for health reasons only, loved to smoke way back when.

Responding because I know when I did smoke -- would not even considered going on a cruise line where I could not smoke. I even smoked in smoke free hotel rooms -- when that was all that was available at check in.

If you are considering a cruise in 2010, you might consider quitting. I feel it is the best decision I ever made -- 10+ years later I am heallllltier, have more energy and do not miss it one bit.

Good luck whatever you decide. Have a great cruise. :)

I wonder how many folks who spend in the range of $7 a pack for cigarettes scour the net to save the last $25 on their cruise fare.:) It just occured to me that we often have threads about getting bigger cruise discounts but no one considers a pack a day habit (in Massachusetts) costs about $50 per week :eek: if bought by the pack.

What a huge expense.

/B]

Archived