Sneaking a smoke...possible or not??

Megamania

:) My point was I (a non-smoker) was so shocked to hear how much cigarettes cost in our state. I had no idea how very expensive they had gotten. I am very sure the smokers in this state know how much they pay. :eek:

Think how many cruise days that could pay for. :)

But, back to the subject at hand.

Please smokers.......follow the rules. That is what has been suggested repeatedly throughout this thread.

Non-smokers who are so unlucky to have a smoker on the neighboring veranda cannot do anything but suffer from it.

We shouldn't have to be exposed to second hand smoke anywhere that is not a designated smoking area. It will be a happy day when smoking is not permitted on ships except for some small outside area that non-smokers can easily avoid.

I wonder how many folks who spend in the range of $7 a pack for cigarettes scour the net to save the last $25 on their cruise fare.:) It just occured to me that we often have threads about getting bigger cruise discounts but no one considers a pack a day habit (in Massachusetts) costs about $50 per week :eek: if bought by the pack.

What a huge expense.

/B]

No offense, but the same could hold true for alcohol consumption and I am sure that could be just as expensive. What do people pay for their bar bills on these cruises? Comes down to simply "to each his own"....I think this thread has run the course, don't you?

Definitely run its course. Especially with the same folks always posting their personal opinions instead of just answering the op's questions. Yes, all smokers actually KNOW how much cigs cost, they all KNOW that smoking is not good for them. YES, it is an addiction and very difficult to quit. They will quit or not when they are ready, not just because a bunch of people on a bulletin board tell them to....... :D

Definitely run its course. Especially with the same folks always posting their personal opinions instead of just answering the op's questions.

...Except that the OP's question was whether or not one could get away with ignoring the ban on smoking on balconies.

What a shock that it wasn't met with more support from non-smokers, huh?:rolleyes:

i think smokers and non smokers alike told OP it was a bad idea

it was all the personal comments and opinions unrelated to the OPs question (mostly from non-smokers) that took the thread down several winding paths

Hmmmm... Actually, I'd say the non-smoking posters seemed to do a better job of keeping their comments on the subject of smoking, while the smokers wanted to veer off onto discussing gambling, drinking, clothing, starving people in 3rd world countries....

Hmmmm... Actually, I'd say the non-smoking posters seemed to do a better job of keeping their comments on the subject of smoking, while the smokers wanted to veer off onto discussing gambling, drinking, clothing, starving people in 3rd world countries....

so not true! LOL! You may want to look back over the thread.........I had known about this on Celebrity for a long time. What bothers me most is that they do not make people aware of it when they book.

think how many cigarettes a cruise could pay for - or cars - or clothes - or booze - or jewelry - or feeding starving kids in 3rd world countries - or anything else one can think of. different people have different wants and they spend their disposable income as they see fit. nobody has the right to judge that, any more than you want yours judged.

EXACTLY.:cool:

do wait to see if you're the only one out on the balconies around you.

RC discourages people from keeping their doors open because of damp and over burdening the AC so that shouldn't be a problem. hope that you don't have a cabin with kids next to you. hope really hard for that for many reasons most of which dont' have anything to do with smoking. LOL

(child-free by choice)

have a designated smoking water glass. tap ashes in that (they could blow all around in and out of an ashtray) and douse the finished cig in the water then put the doused cig in a ziplock bag. you can pour the ashy water in the toilet. but keep the bag in the trash for disposal ...do NOT flush cig buts! and never NEVER EVER toss a Lit Cig over the side. Duh!

look for the smoking bars & make friends with your fellow outcasts.

walking and smoking as a lady is tacky. never do it.

Definitely run its course. Especially with the same folks always posting their personal opinions instead of just answering the op's questions. Yes, all smokers actually KNOW how much cigs cost, they all KNOW that smoking is not good for them. YES, it is an addiction and very difficult to quit. They will quit or not when they are ready, not just because a bunch of people on a bulletin board tell them to....... :D

I think this subject has run its course once again. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I believe the consensus was that both sides agreed that rules are rules. End of topic.:p

If you think the topic has run its course, there's a simple way to avoid it: Don't read the thread and don't post on it. Just because you think it should be "end of topic" doesn't mean we all have to agree. I believe that hosts typically close threads at the request of the OP only (or, of course, if things get really out of hand in the discussion: flaming, personal insults, ranting politics, etc.) (Yes, I know this post is OT to the original question. I have found it an interesting discussion, opinions and all.)

beachchick

If you think the topic has run its course, there's a simple way to avoid it: Don't read the thread and don't post on it. Just because you think it should be "end of topic" doesn't mean we all have to agree. I believe that hosts typically close threads at the request of the OP only (or, of course, if things get really out of hand in the discussion: flaming, personal insults, ranting politics, etc.) (Yes, I know this post is OT to the original question. I have found it an interesting discussion, opinions and all.)

beachchick

I quite agree, in a conversation involving a number of people, the original subject matter will be answered quickly or fairly quickly, but others will want to say a few words. Normal conversation between adults, may then drift into anti smoking vs pro smoking, a natural thing to do. It does, however get nasty when people, reportedly the same adults, start hurling abuse at each other. So far, this thread has not, one of the best on the subject so far. It is a shame other contentious subjects cannot be discussed in the same manner.

beachchick

Fine with me and I sure hope you get to your 8,000th post soon. Looks like you will!

Fine with me and I sure hope you get to your 8,000th post soon. Looks like you will!

Thanks so much.:rolleyes: I don't really pay attention to my post count. I had to check last night's post to see what it is. If you think I have a lot of posts after almost 8 years, you should check out some of the newer members who are well over the 10,000 mark after only a few years. You know, I really don't care how much or how often someone posts. Is there some reason you do? (Oh whoopie, I've got another post. How small of someone to think it matters.)

beachchick

Thanks so much.:rolleyes: I don't really pay attention to my post count. I had to check last night's post to see what it is. If you think I have a lot of posts after almost 8 years, you should check out some of the newer members who are well over the 10,000 mark after only a few years. You know, I really don't care how much or how often someone posts. Is there some reason you do? (Oh whoopie, I've got another post. How small of someone to think it matters.)

beachchick

I too was wondering what the number of posts have to do with the topic at hand or any topic that is. I also had to go back and look how many posts you had. I find it more interesting at looking at where the people of going to cruise next, instead of how many posts they have.:cool:

...not that any of the last few posts has anything to do with the original question/topic...

Maybe you guys could take your p***ing contest somewhere else?:rolleyes:

Well, my first post simply pointed out that those who were writing that the topic is "over" don't need to read the thread or post on it. Some of us were still interested in reading or posting on it. Why the response to that involved my post count is still a mystery to me. I wasn't in a "p***ing contest" with anyone.

beachchick

• 4 weeks later...
I do not wish to be harsh, but I do find myself surprised that you asked this question. Most people I know that smoke are fairly well aware of how obvious it is to others that they smoke...and how unpleasant their odor can be to non-smokers. This is not meant to be critical - just a statement of fact. Cigarette smoke is a powerful smell, and it clings to every part of you, every article of clothing you wear, and permeates any space you smoke in, remaining there for a long time. I personally find the odor to be sickening, and will ask to be moved if I find myself seated next to someone who reeks of it. This is not any kind of judgement on smokers - it is simply self-preservation.

I would also ask to be moved if someone was seated next to me that reeked of any other powerfully unpleasant odor...B.O., bad halitosis, a particularly onerous perfume. Again, not a judgement - but I sure don't want to be stuck trying to enjoy a wonderful meal while gagging!

I wonder if you have ever done the following (I have):

When considering whether to join a small group tour, clicked on the screen names of prospective posters to determine whether they are smokers. Knowing that there will be stops along routes, I realize some of these folks might consider the stops "smoking breaks". I really don't want them sitting in the same small vehicle as me smelling like smoke. I haven't wanted to confront anyone, but I sure do want to know if they smoke.

It would be so much simpler if people would just state whether or not they are smokers!

I wonder if you have ever done the following (I have):

It would be so much simpler if people would just state whether or not they are smokers!

I suppose it would be simpler for you to deal with in a very small subset of situations but really the solution you propose is close to useless in a functional sense. CC members are only a tiny subset of passengers and there are ways beside being a smoker that you can smell like smoke (never mind that some find the 'over sprayers of perfume' far more annoying than smokers).

I suppose it would be simpler for you to deal with in a very small subset of situations but really the solution you propose is close to useless in a functional sense. CC members are only a tiny subset of passengers and there are ways beside being a smoker that you can smell like smoke (never mind that some find the 'over sprayers of perfume' far more annoying than smokers).

If you are going to quote someone and use only the beginning of the quote and then the very end, then you should also indicate that you have done so by leaving some blank lines, typing <snip>, adding more blank lines and then finishing up the quote.

This is absolutely false and misleading information. The cause of the fire on the Star Princess has never been determined. There are "suspicions" that it MIGHT have been caused by a cigarette but no one can confirm that.........and' date=' that fire was in 2006 - not 2008........[/quote']

To put the record straight.... Suspicion (or suspicious) was never a word used in the official report. The conclusions were "It was probably caused by a discarded cigarette". The most well-known definition of "probable cause" is "a reasonable belief" that is what happened.

To quote the report which can be found at http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Star%20Princess.pdf:

The fire started on an external stateroom balcony sited on deck 10 in the centre of main vertical zone 3, on the vessel’s port side. It was probably caused by a discarded cigarette end heating combustible materials on a balcony, which smouldered for about 20 minutes before flames developed.

All other possible sources were explored including an electrical ignition or excellerant......and all evidence was contray to those other possibilities.

Archived