Costa Maya and Mahahual Picture 11/10/08

Ms Belvedere

First, thank you very much for your extensive review! I have been awaiting pictures and comments. This is the port that we remember the most. My DH spent a birthday there, sipping ice cold Sol beer. By time for us to return to the ship, he had enough to comment that he really liked the Mexican rap-style music they were playing! (He is a former member of a symphony.) I can't wait to tell him about the 40 OZ Sols!

Is the school still there/open in Majahaul?

Also, by chance, so you remember seeing a tiki-hut type bar that had swings for the stools? It was at the end of the beach area (I want to say it was the last business on the beach side, prior to the hurricane.) That was DH's birthday bar. I hope it was re-built!

Also, by chance, so you remember seeing a tiki-hut type bar that had swings for the stools? It was at the end of the beach area (I want to say it was the last business on the beach side, prior to the hurricane.) That was DH's birthday bar. I hope it was re-built!

There is a bar with the swings, in fact there may be more than one. The school is right there along the concrete walkway. Very different from what we have in the US and we saw the school children walking home from school in their uniforms. They get out of school at 2:00 our time. I wish I had snapped some pictures of them.

If I don't reply to more questions it's because I'm working on the review of the cruise and finishing everything else that needs to be done before starting back to work tomorrow. Thanks again to all of you who have responded to this thread, I've gotten so much out of other's reviews and posts, I wanted to give something back. Have a great evening!

Ms B

Is the school still there/open in Majahaul?

The school is still opened and there were kids playing outside when we arrived.

We were sitting in front of the bar w/swings for stools. That was pretty cool. This is also where the water smelled awful. I'm glad to know it did not smell that way all over the island. Guess it was our bad luck! Anyways, we spent the day at the bar and the chairs were free to use as long as your were eating or drinking. We also got a massage right next to this place. It was $20 for 30 minutes and was very nice.

If you are referring to Pez Quadro, they are open... I love that place, and everyone there is awesome!!!!!

After looking at all you fab photos I do have a quick question.....in the port area there used to be bench like seating, think sort of small stadium rows and they would have dancers perform etc.....did they redo that as well? The rest of the port area looks so much similar to before!

As I said, I loved CM and have great memories of the beach and then sipping tequila and enjoying the dance performance by the pier.

After looking at all you fab photos I do have a quick question.....in the port area there used to be bench like seating, think sort of small stadium rows and they would have dancers perform etc.....did they redo that as well? The rest of the port area looks so much similar to before!

As I said, I loved CM and have great memories of the beach and then sipping tequila and enjoying the dance performance by the pier.

I know exactly where you're talking about, it's been replaced by the fountains squirting up out of the ground.

IMG_0102.jpg

My FIL always enjoyed that show, I can't say for sure that they no longer have it. Maybe someone else can answer.

Costa Maya was and still remains our favourite port of all time. There was just something fabulous about out day at the beach, good drinks, good food, massages to die for - all round relaxing day. I'd love to go back there. These pictures all bring it back. Renews my interest to get back to the western caribbean so we can go there again!

Thanks for the memories.

We LOVED it, too, and can't wait to go back. We loved the town and the fact that is hasn't become another Cancun, yet.:D

I know exactly where you're talking about, it's been replaced by the fountains squirting up out of the ground.

IMG_0102.jpg

My FIL always enjoyed that show, I can't say for sure that they no longer have it. Maybe someone else can answer.

Thanks so much for your quick answer!

Going to CM for the first time in March. We are beach lovers - sounds as if the taxi to town is the best bet? Are there bathrooms etc to use if we go to the beach in town?

Just asked DH since he went but I waited until we got back to the port. In the Tapas bar, two doors down from El Faro, there are bathrooms up on the second floor. No sink, bring some wipes along and/or some hand sanitizer. There may be others, we didn't look for them. Remember that they are working on Mahahual so this review could even be outdated in a couple of months.

At the dock, in the pool area, the restrooms are located where they always were. They're clean and you can change in them.

This is my last post on here for the evening. Everyone have a great trip to Mahahual, keep an open mind, they're still working hard to bring it all back and attract the cruise traffic. It's a terrific little port with a lot to offer everyone!

Good Night - Ms B

We're heading back to Costa Maya in April and can't wait:). Originally went back in June of 06 and loved it. It is definetly worth it to go to Majahual. It has great prices for souvenier shopping and you can barter about the prices. We got a really nice hammock for $30. Loved sitting by the beach drinking a Sol while the wife got a massage.

Great pix Ms B.....I have always liked Costa Maya and Mahahaul. I am booked with a group here on CC next year and I am hoping the schedule for the cruise gets changed. There is a port in the schedule that is at the moment having some problems. That would be Roatan. I would like to go there also though. Never been. I wish they would drop Grand Cayman and put in Costa Maya. Fat chance though.....LOL....

Again...Great pix...

Archived