Costa Maya and Mahahual Picture 11/10/08

Ms Belvedere

Ms Belvedere,

Those first set of pics with the swim up bar... that is right at the port, right? Is there access to the beach there too? Or is that in the town? Was there snack food served anywhere around at the port villiage pool? And were there shops? Please let me know!!

Thanks!!!

Ryan

Ms Belvedere,

Those first set of pics with the swim up bar... that is right at the port, right? Is there access to the beach there too? Or is that in the town? Was there snack food served anywhere around at the port villiage pool? And were there shops? Please let me know!!

Thanks!!!

Ryan

I've not been since it was rebuilt, but the swim up bar is at the port. There isn't a beach at the port, but they do have the pools. There are a couple of restaurants at the port with a full menu and I'm sure appetizers as well. The port is primarily a shopping mall with a pier for ships. Then there's the pool and restaurants areas. It's a really nice area, built with cruise tourists in mind.

I love the photos and I'm glad both areas are being rebuilt. I have great photos of my then 5yo playing in the pool fountains, and one with our ship in the background. This can be a very relaxing little port.

I've not been since it was rebuilt, but the swim up bar is at the port. There isn't a beach at the port, but they do have the pools. There are a couple of restaurants at the port with a full menu and I'm sure appetizers as well. The port is primarily a shopping mall with a pier for ships. Then there's the pool and restaurants areas. It's a really nice area, built with cruise tourists in mind.

I love the photos and I'm glad both areas are being rebuilt. I have great photos of my then 5yo playing in the pool fountains, and one with our ship in the background. This can be a very relaxing little port.

It sounds great! Thanks for the info! It looks similar to Grand Turk where we hung out stayed around there pier and they had great shops, pool and restaurants. The only thing they also had was beach access but with the baby we will be happy to find some shade and relax!

Ms. Belvedere: thanks for all of the great pics. We have been to Costa Maya twice and loved it. It looks as if the improvements will be very benficial. A quick question: Are they still renting golf carts near the pier? We wanted to try it the last time, but then decided it would be better if we took the regular transportation.

To the person that thought Costa Maya was poor, we just returned from Ocho Rios, where we took a "scenic" tour. Outside of the fancy condo's and homes built along the the side of the hill near the port, most people live in shacks, lean-tos or unfinished homes. The vendors there were much pushier than any other port we have been to. Also, there have been meetings in Costa Maya with the mayor and vendors. They are attempting to rein in the pushiness and make Coasta Maya the quaint place that everyone has come to know it.

Ms. Belvedere: thanks for all of the great pics. We have been to Costa Maya twice and loved it. It looks as if the improvements will be very benficial. A quick question: Are they still renting golf carts near the pier? We wanted to try it the last time, but then decided it would be better if we took the regular transportation.

Yes, they rent the golf carts at the same location where you catch a cab into town. I don't know how much they were, we asked but I don't remember. If you go to post #32 on page 2 you can see them parked in the picture behind the gentleman selling conch shells. They don't allow them on the malecon. Have fun when you go, it's a great port!

Ms B

Thanks for posting all the great pictures!

RCL offers an excursion in Costa Maya called "Jungle Beach Break". Anyone know anything about this excursion? What beach do they take you to, or is there a beach called Jungle Beach? We will be in CM for the first time on the Voyager. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Colleen

Edit: After I went back and looked at the pics, there was one that showed Chac Chi to one side. Here it is, cropped and blown up. Not much there but "possibilities".

DSC_0075aaa.jpg

I'll try this again. Could you post this picture on the Chac chi site

I'll try this again. Could you post this picture on the Chac chi site

Sorry, didn't see this until tonight. I see nolaAlive took care of posting the pic over on the Chac Chi thread. :)

There was still a lot of destruction visible outside of the port area, the trees in the picture look totally dead when you drive by them, they're sitting in the salt water. I read on another thread that they aren't really dead, it just takes time for them to come back after they've been damaged. Guess we'll see as time goes by.

As ships continue to dock at Costa Maya I'm hoping more and more cruisers post pictures so we can track the progress of the island coming back from the storm.

It's taken me awhile to post my comments, Christmas and all, as this time of year can be crazy. So DH and I went to Costa Maya in 2005 on the Grandeur. It was one of our favorite places - absolutely unspoiled. We did a trip to Chacchobben and then to Majahual to end the cruise.

This time (NCL Spirit - 11/30/08) it was our first stop and I didn't know what to expect. We had a large group of 14, both adults and kids, and walked the pier to the new port area. The walk is manageable but a bit long, so if you want to take the tram, wait by the ship and it will pick you up. It runs continously during the day.

We got to the port area. It's really nice with lots of shops, bars and a pool area. We wanted to go into Majahual to see what had happened to one of our favorite little towns. We got a large van to take all 14 of us to Majahual for $3 a person. The ride back was $2 person. Can't beat that! I'm thrilled to say - not much! Meaning it totally still has the small beach town feeling. We ended up at the same bar we were at in 2006 - El Delfin (the Dolphin). El Delfin is the last bar before Still had excellent food (must have guacamole) and cold cheap beer, tables, chairs and umbrellas right on the beach. Awesome! The beach is protected by a jetty/barrier so the water is warm with little waves. A light breeze blew the whole time. The kids played on the beach and in the water and were easy to keep an eye on. The adults camped out at the tables, chairs, and chaises for the day and ate, drank and were merry. A couple of us also got massages for $20 for 30 minutes. There are massage tables on the beach as well as a little massage school closer to where the taxis drop off and they were the same price. If you want 60 minutes, it's $40. After spending our day in Majahual, we returned to the port area and walked around for a little bit. We got a couple of good deals on t-shirts and then walked back to the ship. An absolutely great day.

There were vendors that came up to us, but a polite no thank you was all that was needed. Costa Maya went 14 months with no tourists and that made a huge dent in their income. Everyone was very happy to see the cruise ships return.

At one point during the day, someone in our group looked around and said, "man, this is like being in a Jimmy Buffett song." I couldn't have agreed more. We can't wait to go back!

Pam

Coo Chick:

Five minutes is about right. We took a shuttle bus from the pier are shops to Majuahal last month. Shuttle is same price as the taxis. Buses loaded up very quickly.

We took a taxi back to the pier from Majuahal. There will be taxis in the village all over the place on the small side streets along the boardwalk.

Dianne

I'm confused about the two places. How far apart is the pier from Mahahual? Are taxis available at the port to get there? Beach/pool at the port are very nice? is there anything in Mahajual that isi worth the trip or should we just swim relax at the port area? thanks, linda

I'm confused about the two places. How far apart is the pier from Mahahual? Are taxis available at the port to get there? Beach/pool at the port are very nice? is there anything in Mahajual that isi worth the trip or should we just swim relax at the port area? thanks, linda

Hope this makes more sense to you:

Your ship will dock at a pier area that includes a beautiful swimming pool surrounded by a port shopping complex that includes the usual port shopping stores of Diamonds International, liquor stores, other jewelry shops, etc. There is also a flea-market style shopping area there by the pool that offers the usual souvenir style items of Mexico.

A short taxi ride away is the actual village area of Majahal area that is built along a gorgeous beach. There are tables and umbrellas set up along the beach where you can eat, drink and enjoy the blue-green waters of Majuahal.

The beach area is set apart from the town's shops, restaurants and souvenir shops by a boardwalk that is now tiled (post hurricane).

Restaurant employees will all try to lure you to their tables and chairs along the beach. If you are in the mood for some great food and cheap drinks, then sit down and try a few of the businesses.

DH & I are not normally beach style cruisers but love the village and the beauty of the water there. It's quite relaxing and a real treat to just kick back and enjoy the flavor of the area.

Dianne

Thanks. This helps me a lot. I was originally going to just hang out at the pool bar by the peir, but now I'm thinking of going into Majuahal. Sounds great.

I'm sure you will not regret making the short trip into the village. We've been there 3 times, twice by cruise ship before the hurricane and then again last month.

We're a bit partial to Tapas Bar which is about mid-way down the boardwalk, but we've tried several of the restaurant and bars through there and they are all good and offer great views of the beach and water.

Enjoy!

Dianne

Here are a few shots of Costa Maya:

3104065666_5b4cb859d8.jpg

The beach area of Costa Maya.

It's rocky so there is no swimming/wading.

3104059378_89fc08bd31.jpg

The pool area of Costa Maya.

We've never used it but I understand that it's salt water.

3103232731_0ed1b55805.jpg

The beach area of Mahajual.

You can see the ship in the distance.

Hey, Dianne! Merry Christmas! Yes, we LOVED Majahual. Justin decided while sitting on the beach with a cold beer in his hand that being in Majahual was like being in the middle of a Jimmy Buffett song. Gotta love that!

Pam

Pam

It is possible that Majahual is where it's always Five O'Clock.

Gwynn

Archived