Lost my job today...and just paid off my cruise!

veryhotred

Oh joy..got a call this afternoon from my *ex* boss..said things are not going well financially at work, we were all told this last week, but today I got the call and the ax...ouch...took me forever to get a job and now here I am again, unemployed! :mad:

my cruise cannot come soon enough...I need a drink of the day!!:rolleyes:

Oh joy..got a call this afternoon from my *ex* boss..said things are not going well financially at work, we were all told this last week, but today I got the call and the ax...ouch...took me forever to get a job and now here I am again, unemployed! :mad:

:cool:Good luck!!! You will love the Destiny!!!:D

Sorry to hear that !:o After your cruise you'll have time to find another one.. GOOD LUCK..:)

I know what you mean, my husband was let go a couple of weeks ago. I downgraded (before the final payment date) to a 1A. If he gets a job (HAHAHAHA) soon then he won't be able to go. I will go semi-solo with 2 other couples. If he is not working by our cruise date, we will add him to the cabin and he will go. The heck with it! We have planned and saved for this cruise for a year. Yep I am really mad. Not at my husband, just at everything in general. :confused:

Take care of yourself veryhot red

Janet

Thank you everyone!! I know I have a lot to be thankful for...my husband has a really good job but man oh man it hurts!

I know what you mean, my husband was let go a couple of weeks ago. I downgraded (before the final payment date) to a 1A. If he gets a job (HAHAHAHA) soon then he won't be able to go. I will go semi-solo with 2 other couples. If he is not working by our cruise date, we will add him to the cabin and he will go. The heck with it! We have planned and saved for this cruise for a year. Yep I am really mad. Not at my husband, just at everything in general. :confused:

Janet

Janet, I wish him much luck...a few years ago my husband lost his job, just two days before Christmas. That year we had to buy used toys for our kids and we got each other one thing that cost around $15, that was it. I know how hard things can get. I get mad too...then I cry, then mad...then I question things...then I am fine...then I go through it all again..hang in there and I wish him much luck and hope he can cruise with you. :)

I am in the same boat (pun intended!) with my boyfriend, only we booked after his layoff. The $99 NCL special we found was too good to pass up. The nice thing about it is that he would not have the vacation time for it otherwise as his previous employer made them take their vacation in week blocks.

I have also taken a cruise in the past (my first one!) after leaving a job with no new one in sight. If you budget cruise.. $200-$300 is easy to swallow for a quick escape from everyday life and stresses!

Janet

Janet,sorry to hear this. My DH losthis job around 11 months ago.He has still not found regular work, so he is freestylin, but not steady. Keep your cruise plans, keep positive and believe me it WILL work out.Maybe not quick enough to stave your anger, but it will. You will be in my thoughts:)

OP, I feel your pain. We returned from our long awaited cruise on Monday, 11/3 and DH got the news on 11/6 that he no longer had a job. He had been with his company (Circuit City) for almost 13 years and had a regional position. We thought he was safe when they announced the closure of 155 stores and he still had a job. Which he did...for 4 days.

Enjoy your cruise and try not to worry.

You've got a lot of support here on the boards! We've also been there, done that, sold the tshirt on ebay! DH lost his job for 4 months, we relocated so he could get a better job, and now we get to cruise more often!

Luckily, my job is pretty recession proof since nobody wants to teach middle school kids!

Ouch, I hate to hear about people losing their jobs..Good luck.. I absolutely hate job hunting.. and hope I never have to do it again..

Janet

Janet, can't you keep husband on the cruise? Most all employers make allowances for planned vacations. He may not be paid for the time off but I would think they would allow him time off without pay for a vacation that was already planned.

I understand, everywhere we turn these days it is a bit dismal. You never know you could make contacts on the cruise that lead to new employment. Very surprising of where conversations of a friend of a friend might just lead.

This seems to be an after cruise tradition for my partner. In 2006, he was laid off days after we returned from a cruise. He had been there 9 years. In 2007, his company closed the week after we returned from our cruise. And in 2008, yep, laid off a day after returning from the cruise. He's been doing contract work in the same industry since then with the same pay but no benefits. Luckily my company offers DP benefits, so he's covered.

I am a firm believer in fate and with the loss of that job, it will just lead you to something better. Good luck and have a great time on your cruise.

I am so sorry. We went thru the same thing in August. But we to are cruising in April. I refuse to give it up. We made a big move and DH and I have jobs and have moved on.

Good thoughts your way in your job hunting.

That really sucks, with this economy not many of us are safe. I am safe because I work Labor and Delivery, when no one has money to do any thing else lots of babies get born:eek:. Here is to hoping our economy makes a upswing soon.

LOL..guess you WILL always have a job...;)

Keep a good attitude and cruise. Have a DOD for me and a Bud Light.......

Will do :D

good luck with the job hunt, and happy cruising;)

Thanks...wish the cruise was NOW..I need a vacation..lol

Archived