Lost my job today...and just paid off my cruise!

veryhotred

You've got a lot of support here on the boards! We've also been there, done that, sold the tshirt on ebay! DH lost his job for 4 months, we relocated so he could get a better job, and now we get to cruise more often!

Luckily, my job is pretty recession proof since nobody wants to teach middle school kids!

oh boy..not sure I could teach them either...kudos to you teachers though!!

Ouch, I hate to hear about people losing their jobs..Good luck.. I absolutely hate job hunting.. and hope I never have to do it again..

I hate it too!!! And I gave up a great job to take this one..and now I lost them both...:mad:

Oh joy..got a call this afternoon from my *ex* boss..said things are not going well financially at work, we were all told this last week, but today I got the call and the ax...ouch...took me forever to get a job and now here I am again, unemployed! :mad:

my cruise cannot come soon enough...I need a drink of the day!!:rolleyes:

Been there! Trust me, there's no better therapy than to go on a cruise to relax, clear your thoughts, and be refreshed when you get home to take the next step in your life!

Piece of advice, Enjoy! Have fun! The cruise is paid for! Woohoo!

Planned our cruise for 2 years, leaving on November 22nd, and was laid off on Oct 15th. Thought about canceling, but it was paid for and I wasn't going to disappoint my family.

We're going.....

Have a great time on your cruise.

YOU have a great time too!!! You and I deserve it!! ;)

I understand, everywhere we turn these days it is a bit dismal. You never know you could make contacts on the cruise that lead to new employment. Very surprising of where conversations of a friend of a friend might just lead.

True...

This seems to be an after cruise tradition for my partner. In 2006, he was laid off days after we returned from a cruise. He had been there 9 years. In 2007, his company closed the week after we returned from our cruise. And in 2008, yep, laid off a day after returning from the cruise. He's been doing contract work in the same industry since then with the same pay but no benefits. Luckily my company offers DP benefits, so he's covered.

I am a firm believer in fate and with the loss of that job, it will just lead you to something better. Good luck and have a great time on your cruise.

Oh my!! I think I would be scared to cruise..lol..I also believe in fate but this is the third time this year I have been kicked down and it gets harder to get up each time (as you have seen with your partner) but I am trying to manage...:cool:

Been there! Trust me, there's no better therapy than to go on a cruise to relax, clear your thoughts, and be refreshed when you get home to take the next step in your life!

Piece of advice, Enjoy! Have fun! The cruise is paid for! Woohoo!

I think I deserve a cruise NOW..lol..and the family can catch up with me in January, don't you think???? :D

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year! Laid off on March 1, cruise scheduled for April 5. Plus, I'm a single mom!

It was already paid for, so I figured what the heck, went anyway and had a great time. Came back and got a great job offer 2 days later! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the same good fortune goes your way.

Hang in there!

Oh joy..got a call this afternoon from my *ex* boss..said things are not going well financially at work, we were all told this last week, but today I got the call and the ax...ouch...took me forever to get a job and now here I am again, unemployed! :mad:

my cruise cannot come soon enough...I need a drink of the day!!:rolleyes:

I am so sorry to hear about you job loss.

But it is proven that DODs make everything better!:p

Whenever I cruise I leave all my worries at the port and picked them up when I get back.:o

Sorry to hear about your job.............

Glad to hear you are still going on the cruise.........you need the break!

When I was 'downsized' in 2006, we took a cruise.........great way to refocus...........

Good luck on the job hunting...................

Last November, 2 hours before we were leaving the house for our cruise, I got the dreaded call... It was a Thursday; the company had a bigger layoff planned for Friday, but my boss knew I was leaving on vacation, so he wanted to make sure he delivered the happy news before I left.

Good luck with your job search -- you'll find something BETTER! And have a good time on your cruise.

Mary Ellen

I am so sorry for any of you that have lost your jobs or have a spouse that has lost their jobs. I definitely agree that all of you should go on your booked cruises and enjoy! This is the exact reason why I say the prices are even going to go down more in 2009 because of all the job losses and this economy people will not be able to book as much or as many and they will continue to drop prices to fill the ships.

Sorry about the loss of the job. What kind of work do you do? Maybe networking here a little will help.

I quit a job once when the day after the last day you could cancel my creepy boss told me she wasn't giving me the time off. I had let her know 2 months in advance. I got a much better paying job quickly.

Have fun on your cruise. Maybe you'll even meet someone on board who could give you some leads or even a job!

We'll put this out to the universe for you!

Thanks to everyone for all the support. I am really touched :rolleyes: and we know that we are not the only ones out there that have had their lives turned upside down.

Cathyoo, believe me we have thought of that and will definitely try it...

Janet

Archived