YOUR cruise fare probably went down...

As some people are moning & groning about their cruise fares what we all should be really griping about is with the airlines charges. My friend was watching Rachel Ray this a.m. & called me someone was saying if you want to book your seat when purchasing your international or domestic flights on some airlines you now have to pay a fee. Otherwise they will give you the seat of their choice. And you can bet it will be in a middle & in the back of the plane. I don't know what airlines so if we have any TA's on this board kindly jump in with any info. How much more is the airlines going to squeeze us? With Oil closinig today(WTI) at 54.29 where is their reasoning? MHO is they are just greedy pigs.

Airtran charges like $7 each way to be able to pick your seat.

On what cruise line is it customary to honor sales and honor lower fares for existing guests when they say "new bookings only"? I think they slash the prices strictly to fill empty cabins :)

I disagree - I don't think it's bad customer service - and I think it's a smart pricing strategy. Sell what you can at 'regular price' and when it gets down to the wire have a firesale. In reality - just how many people are going to think it's wrong, get ticked off, and stop sailing RCCL? Very few I'd think.

Ok, not sure I get the point - RCCL has the right - actually the mandate - to change their business model at any time to make the highest profit possible.

In most cases we're not talking days - we're talking months - sometimes many months.

Oh I highly doubt that. If everyone could get aboard for the firesale prices I've seen I doubt they'd be making a profit, and certainly not the healthiest. For them to firesale a cabin last minute - that cabin is sailing with or without pax - food is already bought - staff is already contracted - any money at all they bring in adds to the bottom line or cuts into expenses - and any onboard spending is just gravy.

Well put Allie.

OP seems a bit off base here. To demand the company to change their policy to accomodate only him...:eek: As a shareholder I am glad RCCL honors their policies...new bookings only for the fire sale discounts.

My cruise didn't get discounted today. That's not fair. If they're discounting fares on a Tuesday they should discount them ALL for EVERYONE and I shouldn't have to call them they should just reduce my fare and give me free toiletries and gift robes and chocolate covered strawberries and lobster tails and a complimentary meal at Portofino's and a couples massage and an upgrade and limo service and priority check in and free access to the concierge lounge. ;)

NOW I like that....me too...me too...me too

'Cuz you're one of the folks with a good sense of humor that'll probably chuck one right back! :D

Keepin' your lungs clean still I see. Cheers!!

I definitely would chuck it back....and wearing the beautiful diamond earrings I bought with my cig money

Archived