YOUR cruise fare probably went down...

RCI is currently promoting a "ONE-DAY Sale" today. Unfortunately, if you are currently booked and the fare for your cabin has gone down, they are refusing to HONOR the lower rate, since they claim it only applies to new bookings. Essentially, since we're now within penalty period, canceling & rebooking is not an option

RCI messed-up pricing these cruises correctly MONTHS ago and those of us that booked in advance are being penalized by not honoring the new fares.

Please join me in contacting RCI and DEMANDING they honor the lower fares.

Royal Caribbean did not "mess up" by starting the prices out higher; in fact they did well if people purchased the higher fares. Sales for new bookings only are nothing new for Royal Caribbean. If they gave everybody the deal they would go bankrupt or have to cut services so massively that sailing with them would not be worthwhile. Booking for an advance has the advantage of better choice of cabins and more time to plan your trip. Waiting until close to sailing is risky; you might get a better deal but you may end up with even higher prices and your cabin selection is limited. It is up to individuals to decide which route to take and live with the advantages and disadvantages.

A company can also go bankrupt from pricing their products TOO high early on & then trying to sell them dirt-cheap, so I don't accept that explanation. RCI is not in an danger of going bankrupt any time soon.

For non-travel agent readers, your travel agent may not be too keen to fight on your behalf to get the lower fare...as it would mean a cut in their commission. A professional travel agent will work hard to get you the BEST value; a not-so-professional travel agent may not share the price reductions with you.

This isn't a monetary issue....it's a matter of CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Not a TA or a RCCL Cheerleader. But I agree with Gonzo. This is a business, they alter prices as the market changes - that's smart business. They book most of a ship and when they have empty cabins close to sailing they slash prices to fill the ship so their bottom line isn't further lowered. Why in the world would they then also slash fares to everyone who's already booked? Therefore lowering their bottom line even further? It would probably be cheaper to leave some lower level empty cabins - but there's no reason to if they can fill them at all.

When I bought my airfare I was satisfied with the price - prices have flucuated since then - I - and nobody else - expects the airline to give me a different price. When I buy a dishwasher and 6 months later the store puts them on sale to get rid of inventory, I can't go back and ask for them to refund my money so I get that same price. That's just business.

As for "RCI is not in an danger of going bankrupt any time soon" - good - but their goal is not to just barely survive and keep out of bankruptcy - their goal and job is to make as much money as they can and deliver value to their stockholders.

A company can also go bankrupt from pricing their products TOO high early on & then trying to sell them dirt-cheap, so I don't accept that explanation. RCI is not in an danger of going bankrupt any time soon.

For non-travel agent readers, your travel agent may not be too keen to fight on your behalf to get the lower fare...as it would mean a cut in their commission. A professional travel agent will work hard to get you the BEST value; a not-so-professional travel agent may not share the price reductions with you.

This isn't a monetary issue....it's a matter of CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Valid points, Allie. However, when cruise lines roll-out these lower fares closer to sailing, they do so assuming that most existing passengers never find out about it. Also, it is customary in the cruise business to honor lower fares for existing guests if they DO discover the later promotions and even if a "term" is that it only applies to new bookings.

A business model can certainly be disputed for days...my main argument is that it is detrimental to CUSTOMER SERVICE to engage in these pricing strategies.

The business model adopted by RCI years ago was to offer lower fares at the onset, then raise them as warranted by demand. Later, onboard revenue ALONE made a voyage profitable on some of the older vessels (which had been paid-off) and more so on the Voyager & Freedom-class ships (economies of scale).

If I had a business where a very long-time, LOYAL customer purchased an item and the next day I had to lower the price and this customer saw that, I would honor the price-drop to maintain the relationship with the customer. Some larger companies adopt business models which claim one thing for their customers, but practice something altogether different in reality.

The folks requesting the new lower fares are relatively few in relation to the size of the vessel and when these new "last-minute" offers are being developed, they factor-in "if everyone onboard got these fares, we still make a profit".

Gigglewolf, to be honest, your cruise isnt on sale, because you already have a great cabin that you chose when there were many available. The Tuesday's sales are always the worst cabins left, because early bookers got the best cabins. Royal allows every other price - senior, military, etc to be lowered except for the Tuesday sale. My strategy is to simply not look at Tuesday Sales for my dates.

Whether the promos come-out every Tuesday or on your birthday is irrelevant.
While the fact that they've come out on Tuesday's may be irrelevant, the fact that it's happened for many years and they've always been for new bookings only isn't.

That pretty much invalidates your point about what RCI's Business Model has been. For many years part of it has been to discount select cruises and make them for new bookings only.

I understand your point, TwoTravelin, and have followed that thinking in the past when I traveled with a group or with kids that needed to be near-by.

However, we booked under a "guarantee" and never chose our cabin. For folks who are very particular about location, they might have to forego (sp?) close-in offers that might affect their location or category requirements; however, that is not an issue for many other folks.

I come-back to my point that if a customer brings something like this to the attention of the business, it behooves the business to honor it...even if it's done discretely.

RCI is currently promoting a "ONE-DAY Sale" today. Unfortunately, if you are currently booked and the fare for your cabin has gone down, they are refusing to HONOR the lower rate, since they claim it only applies to new bookings. Essentially, since we're now within penalty period, canceling & rebooking is not an option

RCI messed-up pricing these cruises correctly MONTHS ago and those of us that booked in advance are being penalized by not honoring the new fares.

Please join me in contacting RCI and DEMANDING they honor the lower fares.

Are you kidding me? You joking right?

When I buy a dishwasher and 6 months later the store puts them on sale to get rid of inventory, I can't go back and ask for them to refund my money so I get that same price. That's just business.

Not at all the same. You had use of the dishwasher and it's a used product. There is no resale value to it anymore. The cruise fare is different because it hasn't been used yet and although there could be a penalty it's still returnable/refundable and usable up to the day of sailing.

Valid points, Allie. However, when cruise lines roll-out these lower fares closer to sailing, they do so assuming that most existing passengers never find out about it. Also, it is customary in the cruise business to honor lower fares for existing guests if they DO discover the later promotions and even if a "term" is that it only applies to new bookings.

On what cruise line is it customary to honor sales and honor lower fares for existing guests when they say "new bookings only"? I think they slash the prices strictly to fill empty cabins :)

A business model can certainly be disputed for days...my main argument is that it is detrimental to CUSTOMER SERVICE to engage in these pricing strategies.

I disagree - I don't think it's bad customer service - and I think it's a smart pricing strategy. Sell what you can at 'regular price' and when it gets down to the wire have a firesale. In reality - just how many people are going to think it's wrong, get ticked off, and stop sailing RCCL? Very few I'd think.

The business model adopted by RCI years ago was to offer lower fares at the onset, then raise them as warranted by demand. Later, onboard revenue ALONE made a voyage profitable on some of the older vessels (which had been paid-off) and more so on the Voyager & Freedom-class ships (economies of scale).

Ok, not sure I get the point - RCCL has the right - actually the mandate - to change their business model at any time to make the highest profit possible.

If I had a business where a very long-time, LOYAL customer purchased an item and the next day I had to lower the price and this customer saw that, I would honor the price-drop to maintain the relationship with the customer. Some larger companies adopt business models which claim one thing for their customers, but practice something altogether different in reality.

In most cases we're not talking days - we're talking months - sometimes many months.

The folks requesting the new lower fares are relatively few in relation to the size of the vessel

and when these new "last-minute" offers are being developed, they factor-in "if everyone onboard got these fares, we still make a profit".

Oh I highly doubt that. If everyone could get aboard for the firesale prices I've seen I doubt they'd be making a profit, and certainly not the healthiest. For them to firesale a cabin last minute - that cabin is sailing with or without pax - food is already bought - staff is already contracted - any money at all they bring in adds to the bottom line or cuts into expenses - and any onboard spending is just gravy.

Not at all the same. You had use of the dishwasher and it's a used product. There is no resale value to it anymore. The cruise fare is different because it hasn't been used yet and although there could be a penalty it's still returnable/refundable and usable up to the day of sailing.

If I read this thread correctly, then the OP is beyond final payment. So, the cruise is not returnable/refundable.

Ok - good point on used/resale. Have to think of something more comparable.

My cruise didn't get discounted today. That's not fair. If they're discounting fares on a Tuesday they should discount them ALL for EVERYONE and I shouldn't have to call them they should just reduce my fare and give me free toiletries and gift robes and chocolate covered strawberries and lobster tails and a complimentary meal at Portofino's and a couples massage and an upgrade and limo service and priority check in and free access to the concierge lounge. ;)

Ok - good point on used/resale. Have to think of something more comparable.

Airfare would be more comparable because no two people pay the same fare and it's non refundable. That's not to say i agree with this helter skelter pricing, it's annoying to pay more then you have to but it's the way it works. Since the cruise line has a policy to refund or reduce their prices for booked passengers I believe their "new bookings only" sales are detrimental to their loyal customers. RCL should strive NOT to allienate passengers at this slow economic time because they may need these passengers next month or the next month when they can't get enough bookings to break even. I have seen just recently where RCL's loyalty is a one way streeet and am disappointed with them and it's not about money it's about my D+ perks.

my two cents........it's like going to the store and buying an item say for a holiday gift, it's not the holiday yet , gift is not open, still have receipt, you payed full price and poof suddenly you get a ad this item is on sale, why not bring it back for a price adjustment.

Instead of demanding that they drop your price, why don't you call back and ask nicely? Many people have been told no by one person and have called back and had a different rep honor a price drop.

The other option is swap categories of guarantee. Even if you booked a Q inside, there is only a $20 price difference between the Q and Z guarantees right now.

You are correct, DGNY; we are now within final payment & subject to cancellation penalties.

I've verified the legality of this type of pricing in Florida: it is subject to the corporate policies of the business. In essence, RCI's policies dictate the terms.

However, are the terms fair to customers in a service-driven industry? Are they fair/equitable when an organization claims to value it customer-base and their overall perception of a company? A long time ago, I was taught (in customer service training) that one's impression of a purchase involves a "circle of satisfaction". The circle begins from the moment you decide to make a purchase to the time your receive your purchase. At what point does guest satisfaction take a back seat to profits?

When cruise line revenue departsments run "the numbers" for a particular voyage, they factor a substantial portion of the ship traveling at the lowest rate possible and still being able to turn a profit...so the argument that RCI's loses money when they offer these promotions doesn't hold weight, IMO.

Airfare would be more comparable because no two people pay the same fare and it's non refundable. That's not to say i agree with this helter skelter pricing, it's annoying to pay more then you have to but it's the way it works. Since the cruise line has a policy to refund or reduce their prices for booked passengers I believe their "new bookings only" sales are detrimental to their loyal customers. RCL should strive NOT to allienate passengers at this slow economic time because they may need these passengers next month or the next month when they can't get enough bookings to break even. I have seen just recently where RCL's loyalty is a one way streeet and am disappointed with them and it's not about money it's about my D+ perks.

Cruise lines do not have a policy like that. Price drops are not written down anywhere. It is done by cruise lines to honor their loyal customer base and somewhat equalize the commitment of early bookers.

But it doesn't entitle you to have your price dropped at any given time because you feel you don't have to pay as much.

Go buy an HDTV for $1000 and while the TV sits unopened in the box the store comes out with a sale on the very same TV. Let's see how successful you are in getting a price drop. Have you gotten lately a price drop on airline tickets?

Booking with a cruise line has so many advantages from refundable deposits, price drops, applying discounts at a later time but, sorry to say this, people like you begin to destroy the cruising business by attempting to low ball. In my opinion, you can take your D+, and cruise on Easy Cruise.

You are correct, DGNY; we are now within final payment & subject to cancellation penalties.

I've verified the legality of this type of pricing (at least not in Florida): in Florida it is subject to the corporate policies of the business. In essence, RCI's policies dictate the terms.

However, are the terms fair to customers in a service-driven industry? Are they fair/equitable when an organization claims to value it customer-base and their overall perception of your company? A long time ago, I was taught (in customer service training) that one's impression of a purchase involves a "circle of satisfaction". The circle begins from the moment you decide to make a purchase to the time your receive your purchase. At what point does guest satisfaction take a back seat to profits?

When cruise line revenue departsments run "the numbers" for a particular voyage, they factor a substantial portion of the ship traveling at the lowest rate possible and still being able to turn a profit...so the argument that RCI's loses money when they offer these promotions doesn't hold weight, IMO.

If you live in Florida you are already at the bottom of the pricing on this sailing.

I am looking forward to this roll call. :D

In the future, OP, wait until the cruise is close to sailing. Guess what the price might be cheaper.... cheaper certainly seems to fit you. If you have to fly to port your airfare might not be cheaper though if you wait. Or here is a crazy thought... you could make a deal and book a cruise and honor the deal you were willing to make originally. I have appreciated price reductions on a few of my cruises. However, I never for a second thought I had a right to them. Entitlement is for everyone now. It truly is a new world of change.:D

jc

Archived