Picture Prices Ouch!

mycruz

Does anyone know why Princess charges so much for pictures purchased on the ship? I know they are a "for profit company" but I think they are very over priced. I would probably buy more often if they were a little more reasonable.

Does anyone know why Princess charges so much for pictures purchased on the ship? I know they are a "for profit company" but I think they are very over priced. I would probably buy more often if they were a little more reasonable.

I had some time on my last cruise to talk to a photo crewmember concerning the prices for their photos and he made a salient point concerning the formal night photos; you're basically getting professional-grade photos, posed and taken by a professional with professional equipment. Check out the prices at your local reputable photo studio and the price Princess charges will be more than competitive. I know I've had ship photographers take a bunch of time posing us, getting the shot just right, even though they had a line a mile long. And the photos are some of the best we've ever purchased.

That being said, I do think the prices for the candid port/ship photos is beyond outrageous. Very often, the shots are just bad. But they know you'll probably purchase them because, hey, you're on vacation! And I agree... if they came down in price, I think they'd sell more.

And, they do apparently recycle the prints that are not purchased, so it's not all bad... :rolleyes:

You are right ... they are expensive. And, the waste is incredible. I'm not a "tree hugger" but I wonder how may trees would be saved by eliminating the stacks and stacks of pictures that are not purchased on all the cruise ships of the world!!

When they started charging 20 bucks for a boarding photo I stopped buying them. Their services, as good as they are, are so overpriced that only the first time cruisers are more likely to purchase them.

No one forces anyone to buy them but it does get annoying to have them hold up a line of people at a port on the gangway waiting in line to get off the ship.

I had some time on my last cruise to talk to a photo crewmember concerning the prices for their photos and he made a salient point concerning the formal night photos; you're basically getting professional-grade photos, posed and taken by a professional with professional equipment. Check out the prices at your local reputable photo studio and the price Princess charges will be more than competitive. I know I've had ship photographers take a bunch of time posing us, getting the shot just right, even though they had a line a mile long. And the photos are some of the best we've ever purchased.

That being said, I do think the prices for the candid port/ship photos is beyond outrageous. Very often, the shots are just bad. But they know you'll probably purchase them because, hey, you're on vacation! And I agree... if they came down in price, I think they'd sell more.

And, they do apparently recycle the prints that are not purchased, so it's not all bad... :rolleyes:

We still buy our embarkation photo - that's all.

I do agree that the formal photos are worth it -- once. Don't need more than one great photo of me in a gown and hubby in his tux. And, that one photo hangs proudly in our living room.

Judy

Not new to cruising Balcony, nor the nickel and diming, (big fan of the coffee card) I was just wondering since returning from our last cruise. We did a great itinerary and would have loved to purchase more pictures since we went to some pretty amazing ports. I remember looking at the pictures also when we sailed the Panama Canal and they took pictures of us while on our balcony. Would have loved to have had that one too but just couldn't let go of that kind of money. I believe they are now over $20 per photo.

We also have one formal picture that is in the living room, probably won't get anther one, I do understand the price for those can be justified with time they spend on setting up....but if they would just come down in price for the casual ones taken when arriving in ports I'm sure they would be able to see me more!

Because they can. Evidentally the revenue continues to be good or they wouldn't keep raising prices.

Not new to cruising Balcony, nor the nickel and diming, (big fan of the coffee card) I was just wondering since returning from our last cruise. We did a great itinerary and would have loved to purchase more pictures since we went to some pretty amazing ports. I remember looking at the pictures also when we sailed the Panama Canal and they took pictures of us while on our balcony. Would have loved to have had that one too but just couldn't let go of that kind of money. I believe they are now over $20 per photo.

We also have one formal picture that is in the living room, probably won't get anther one, I do understand the price for those can be justified with time they spend on setting up....but if they would just come down in price for the casual ones taken when arriving in ports I'm sure they would be able to see me more!

Hey Mary, i will make a deal with you. While we are cruising the canal next April you take a pic of my DH and I and in turn will take a pic of you and DH. How is that.:D;) I agre those photos are a little pricey. I do look at the embarkation one and if it is good, well I might consider it but usually me or DH looks funny or weird looking and we just bypass them. Been there done that.

Marilyn

I am a picture freak, (could be because I am a professional picture framer).

We buy pictures on board even knowing they are a bit overpriced. I would skip specialty restaurants (we do them) and other expenses to purchase a couple of really neat professional photos from our trip. With what traveling cost you what is a another $25-$75 ? And the visual of the memories you made are always there.

I do take hundreds of photos on my own but if you are traveling with a group someone always seems to be left out taking the pics.

We don't drink , gamble or buy art at the auctions... but I do want my on-board pics that I like.

(another tip.. never know what to get parents or the person who has everything for Christmas ??? Family pics are fantastic and the ship board ones are dirt cheap compared to going to a studio)

If they charged less they wouldn`t have to throw so many away as people would buy them. It was the same with the cruise cd. They would sell loads if they were cheaper.

As for the embarkation picture - no way! After a plane journey and coach from airport most times I don`t look presentable enough to have my photo taken. We pass on that each time.

To me it would make more business sense to lower the prices on the photos and sell more. They'd definitely make more money on volume. I agree a nice professional record 8 x 10 formal shot every few years might be worth it. Many business don't get the concept of make things a little more reasonable that you know people would want, and you will sell more volume and make more money. It's not like these are super high ticket items that they don't have to sell as many to make the big bucks. Make up for it in lowering the prices and moving the volume. You have all the buyers right here. LOL Okay I'm done. :D

I so agree with you about that. I was astounded to see the piles and piles of pictures out in boxes that no one was buying. If they cut the price in half (not for the FORMALS) I think folks would be more inclined to buy more. There has to be a terrible paper waste with the ones no one buys.

As for the DVD produced by the ship's photography staff.....I'm assuming that's what you mean....I think the price for the package deal is really worth it.

We got a 2-DVD set specific to our 18 day cruise to the Panama Canal, plus another "behind the scenes" DVD done by the ship's photographers of our canal transit, PLUS a 4th DVD about the history of the canal......and an assortment of stock photographs of some of the ports of call.....all for $55. I think that was a good deal, and wonderful souvenier of our trip.

If they charged less they wouldn`t have to throw so many away as people would buy them. It was the same with the cruise cd. They would sell loads if they were cheaper.

As for the embarkation picture - no way! After a plane journey and coach from airport most times I don`t look presentable enough to have my photo taken. We pass on that each time.

I agree the formal pics are worth the $19.99 but not the 'fun' casual pics. BUT if they charged only $9.99 for the non-formal pics I would buy 2 so they'd get the same money in the end.

PLUS, I do NOT like the pics to be mostly 8x10. Save paper and space and make them 5x7 so that they fit into an 8x10 frame.

DH and I had our first photos taken since our wedding 5 years ago on our last cruise. The one photo that we purchased was $25?, but was well worth it considering that we made copies at Wal Greens for $2.50 each. We were able to get photos to share with our entire family for under $40. Even at the cheapest studios, I could not have gotten this deal. Not to mention we had different pictures taken on different days and times to choose from. Will I buy another picture? Well that will depend on the quality, but at least I know that I can try and decide from there.

Are they cheap? No

But does the price suprise you, compare that to what they charge you for a cup of gourmet coffee, sushi, or a coke, I think priced about right.

I'm sure they have done enough studies to understand the price demand curve and make enough money.

This is opportunistic profit center, no different then the exta fees for drinks, deserts, specialty resturants, internet fees. THey got to make money and this is simply another angle.

For those that complain, you know you can pick up a pretty good digital camera for a hundred bucks and probably get snapshots that rival everything but their formal setting shots.

As to whether they are professionals, not even close, but good enough technique to make a reasonable 8x10 and convince enough people to buy it for 25 bucks.

As to the ecology of printing and throwing all that paper away. Lets get real, we are cruising. Can you think of a more non-green vacation activity :eek:

Archived