Wow. The resonse I got from my 13 yr old's teachers

familycruising4us

I'm so relieved!!

After reading on here from the "big debate" on taking kids out of school, I was soooo nervous about letting my 8th grader's teachers know we were planning to go on a cruise in January.

I booked this cruise way back in Feb 07, planned it hoping it would be around the same time the kids have days off. Worked out, we leave the 16th, they don't have school the 16th or the 19th, so they only miss 4 days.

ANYWAY, it's a surprise Christmas gift, so I couldn't send a note, so yesterday I sent an email, nervous, waiting to get called to the principal's office, :o.

The attendance woman not only wished us a great trip, she said she was going on a cruise in February. :) She then forwarded my email to all of my DD's teachers, who I am slowly getting email responses from...ALL POSITIVE. They are jealous, :D and they are offering homework to be sent home the weekend b4 so she doesn't have to take it with her. They feel this is a great learning experience... (my kids have never cruised)

I feel like a great weight is off of me.

Hindsight, this will be the last school time vacation, at her age it is just so much to miss. But wow, I'm so happy that they all are so understanding and so great!

i just wanted to pass this on to those debating it for their own children. Talk to the teachers.

I let the school/teachers know 2 months in advance, and they said they really appreciate that.

Less than 2 months, yea!!

I'm so relieved!!

After reading on here from the "big debate" on taking kids out of school, I was soooo nervous about letting my 8th grader's teachers know we were planning to go on a cruise in January.

I booked this cruise way back in Feb 07, planned it hoping it would be around the same time the kids have days off. Worked out, we leave the 16th, they don't have school the 16th or the 19th, so they only miss 4 days.

ANYWAY, it's a surprise Christmas gift, so I couldn't send a note, so yesterday I sent an email, nervous, waiting to get called to the principal's office, :o.

The attendance woman not only wished us a great trip, she said she was going on a cruise in February. :) She then forwarded my email to all of my DD's teachers, who I am slowly getting email responses from...ALL POSITIVE. They are jealous, :D and they are offering homework to be sent home the weekend b4 so she doesn't have to take it with her. They feel this is a great learning experience... (my kids have never cruised)

Hindsight, this will be the last school time vacation, at her age it is just so much to miss. But wow, I'm so happy that they all are so understanding and so great!

i just wanted to pass this on to those debating it for their own children. Talk to the teachers.

I let the school/teachers know 2 months in advance, and they said they really appreciate that.

I'm glad to hear that the schools here in Iowa are a bit more reasonable than in other places. Back in PA they had a zero tolerance policy for unexcused absences- and yes, going on a cruise was unexcused. Now going to Europe was excused- go figure. I'm not sure what the verdict would be for a cruise to Europe. :D

Have a great time and Enjoy!!!!

My 5th and 7th graders are going to miss a week of public school for our Med cruise (it backs up on the school's one week Thanksgiving closure.) In our California school district a five day planned absence can be made up as independent study. Most of the 7th grade teachers have given fairly easy assignments based on the ports to be visited, and the 5th grade teacher was very enthusiastic about the life experience to be gained from visting other countries.

Best regards,

Jake

We've never had a problem taking our kids out of school for vacations--when they were small, we did it often. Once they hit high-school, however, we stopped--the kid's just miss too much work. Daughter had no absences during her entire high career, and that was HER choice!

Elementary and middle school students shouldn't have too much trouble making up the work.

Last year when my DS was 6 we went on a cruise. The principal and teacher was fine with it. We had to do a report with the educational parts of the trip. We did do some educational things but we made up a lot too to make it look good. Next year he will be 8 when we are on the Freedom so we'll have to do another one I'm sure.

We've pulled our girls out the last two years - but only for a couple of days. It wasn't an issue (they are very young - actually the first year my youngest wasn't in school yet.)

This year is a different story - we're pulling them out for 7 school days. I haven't mentioned this to their teachers yet. My youngest will not have a problem. She's in Senior Kindergarten and had the same teacher last year. My oldest is in grade 2 - different teacher. Haven't tested the waters here yet. (HA! No pun intended ;)) I am waiting until after Christmas - we sail in March. Is it March yet???:rolleyes:

I'm pulling my 11 and 13 year old out for a week in April, and the teachers are thumbs up. They consider it a great learning experience, and plan to have their work they will miss available to them before they leave. So we are hoping to get it done, as much as possible, before we cruise. Now the 11 year old is going to be studying the Mayans, so guess where we will be going in Belize. The teacher asked if she could get pictures and do a report for the class. She is thrilled to do it. So all in all, we are very pleased with the backing of our school on this trip. It diffinantly adds to your peace of mind.

I talked to my DD7's teacher last night at conferences, she was excited for us as well. She is in first grade, so I wasn't as concerned. My youngest is only in preschool, so no worries there as well.

Our 8th grade here is more like 9th grade was for me when I was younger. Much more advanced these days. This is why I was worried on the reaction.

My oldest is an honor roll student, she is obsessive about her grades, so I know she will work hard to keep herself caught up. :)

Happy cruising to you all!

I'm glad to hear that the schools here in Iowa are a bit more reasonable than in other places. Back in PA they had a zero tolerance policy for unexcused absences- and yes, going on a cruise was unexcused. Now going to Europe was excused- go figure. I'm not sure what the verdict would be for a cruise to Europe. :D

Have a great time and Enjoy!!!!

Not ALL schools in PA. :D We get one week "Family Vacation" during the year. It is excused as an "Education Trip"

I just talked to my daughter's teacher yesterday about the next cruise...he said "Have fun!" :D He said she won't have a problem making up missed work.

I'm so relieved!!

I won't start a debate, but personally I think the only important people here are the parents and their kids. Reaffirmation from teachers or others are just feel good stuff.

Like you said ChipMaster, I don't want to start a debate either. I just feel a little bit different about having the teachers, Principal, etc. being okay with taking kids out of school for a extended, non-medical leave. It is no fun to try to make-up for points given for F's when they come back to school. And then when there are days when they are sick and really DO need to stay at home, even more problems occur.

In no way am I laying blame on the schools. This is my choice to take them out of school. I just like to be on good terms with them, and know that I am not hurting my kids' grades by a family vacation. If it comes to that, we take them during the summer. I really ask my kids to care about what grades they make, and to try hard not to miss school unless it is absolutely necessary. It needs to look like I care as well. :)

Here in Canada, we are not fined, penalized, looked down on when we take our children out of school for a week (or two).

The past 15 years we have always pulled our children out of school in late Oct/early Nov and gone on a family vacation. The teachers are given plenty of notice and we always go off with everyone's blessing , often teachers will tell me they are jealous and to have a great time, that family holidays are so important:)

We always bring the required work that child would be doing while in class and schoolwork is completed well before they return. None of the children have never come back behind. Any tests they miss they do the day they get back.

Our honour roll son often gave back ahead of the his classmates, now that he is in University he does not have the luxury of taking the time off, for him vacation is in summer, alas he went to Cayman Islands last summer, Europe this summer, it isn't cheap to travel then!! I feel sorry for families who have to pay for the whole family then!! We thought one was bad enough:rolleyes:

When I read about little Johnny or Suzie coming back and then taking days to catch up I have to wonder about the whole planning, perhaps the teachers didn't give the required work that was to be done and if the student actually did any work while on holidays??

Usually I tell the teachers and staff early in Sept we are going on such and such dates and then remind them once a month. Our school district always gives a course outline at the beginning of each term so it is easy to know what our children are doing when we leave.

I am sure it doesn't work for everyone (as is indicated by these boards) but for us we have been blessed with many happy memories of family vacations.

Glad to hear it works for other families as well :)

WE also have luck, here in Mexico is not so bad, but the care about. I will only take my kids: 1st grade one that in u.s. Is 2nd and my 7th grade(8grade) but it will only be 3 days counting that are the last days

Of school before Xmas. For the little one there is not so many problem, I think she will only do homeworks and read books, but for the big one, we need to make a report so then all teachers sign it, and maybe some teachers will give the work before or

After

Not ALL schools in PA. :D We get one week "Family Vacation" during the year. It is excused as an "Education Trip"

I just talked to my daughter's teacher yesterday about the next cruise...he said "Have fun!" :D He said she won't have a problem making up missed work.

OK; I stand corrected. I should have said the Avon Grove schools- they were really harsh on just about everything. In addition to the attendance policy, they wouldn't allow you to bring Oreo cookies to school as they were on the "banned" list. They're really evil, you know. They have transfats. And we're horriable parents because we let our son eat them from time to time.

It was not a problem at all from our teachers or school administrators last fall.

But, during the same marking period my daughter came down with strep throat two times, back to back. Between the cruise and two rough bouts with strep she missed 12 days of the marking period. That is A LOT of instruction time. Her grades did suffer a bit as a consequence. At that point we decided we would not easily decide to take that much vacation time, all at once during the school year again.

I do agree that the older they get, the trickier it becomes.

OK; I stand corrected. I should have said the Avon Grove schools- they were really harsh on just about everything. In addition to the attendance policy, they wouldn't allow you to bring Oreo cookies to school as they were on the "banned" list. They're really evil, you know. They have transfats. And we're horriable parents because we let our son eat them from time to time.

Oreos were on a "banned list" :eek: Oh yeah, I am a horrible parent too. ;)

Remind me to stay away from there. Luckily I am on the opposite side of the state from West Grove. :D

I live a little closer to West Grove than Michele does, but we have Oreo's and were also given a 'have fun' by DD high school teachers AND principal. (DD is AP student and honor roll and some teachers offered to come along as a private tutor;) if I felt we needed one).

It is realized, according to school policy here, that not all families can enjoy vacations during the off season of the school year, and family vacations are an excused absense, and all work is able to be made up.

I did take my kids out of school when they were little but the problem now is that 5 non-excused absenses, and they dont get credit for the term. Unfortunately I have one is high school, so I am limited as to how much time I can take him out of school. Vacations are not excused absenses. In elementary school the teachers knew we took our kids out of school for spring break and at least another week and never had a problem. Enjoy while your kids are still young. With my middle schooler, he has 7 different classes and that means lots of classes to make up. My 1 and 3 yr old will have to wait until their older brothers are off to college before they get taken out of school :)

I'm so relieved!!

My mom taught middle school for 25 years. She was always supportive when parents wanted to take their children on trips during the school year as long as the student was doing well, the length of time out of school was reasonable (a month would have been a no-go regardless of itinerary), the trip wasn't during the standardized testing period or something like that, and both the student and parents were willing to make up the work and create a "trip diary" (with photos, drawings, maps, local things of interest) to present to the class. She felt that experiencing the world was of great educational value and that family time away from the day to day "grind" was critical for familial well being.

Travel was a big thing in our family. Fortunately, both my parents were teachers, so we had time for long trips during school breaks. No cruises because teacher salaries aren't exactly generous, but lots of camping trips all over the US and Canada. (Every 4th day we stayed overnight at a hotel so we could do laundry, take real showers, and the kids could have a pool for swimming--so I can't complain.) While school is extremely important, my parents felt that actually seeing and experiencing something like Mount Rushmore or Washington DC or even the vast rolling plains of our wonderful country were equally important.

Do keep in mind that when parents pull their kids from school, it creates more work for the already (typically) overworked teachers. Getting work packets together; helping the student get back into the swing of things and giving/grading/reading make up quizzes/tests, assignments, and so forth; staying late or coming in early; and more. I'd bet the teachers would enjoy and appreciate a nice souvenir as a thanks. It might seem to some that teachers have it easy, but believe me, their class time is only part of their work. My parents easily worked 10 to 14 hours days and spent part of every summer in continuing education and other professional requirements. Add in mandatory after school events (such as chaparoning, attending games/concerts/plays, overseeing school clubs, etc.), and you've got some very long days. Today, they're also supposed to teach manners, nutrition, and all kinds of other things that didn't use to be considered part of the job. And all for salaries that aren't that fantastic. (It drives me nuts when people--not you, just in general--say that "teachers shouldn't expect to have high salaries because they go into it for 'the love' of teaching." I don't hear these same people saying that professional athletes, entertainers, "reality show" folks, or even Bill Gates should have lower salaries because they went into their professions for "the love of it." Teachers are only taking care of our most valuable assets; it's mind boggling that our society really doesn't value that more; at least teachers used to be treated with great respect. It's hardly surprising that so many people who would make great teachers go into the private sector (or, in my case, bail after teaching a few years when a private sector offer starting at twice my salary came along). Okay, off my soapbox now.)

Anyway, it is nice to have the support of the teachers involved because it allows you to truly enjoy your time and not be concerned that anyone will get in trouble because of it. Go and have a delightful time.

I won't start a debate, but personally I think the only important people here are the parents and their kids. Reaffirmation from teachers or others are just feel good stuff.

(Yes, I know this post could be considered a "debate"; call it personal opinion and first-hand experience from the teacher's point of view.) In some districts, reaffirmation is the least of the concerns. There are strict rules in place in many locations precisely because some parents didn't figure that it would matter if they pulled their child out of school for a month or if their child got behind in the school work (after all, isn't it the teacher's job to teach--regardless of how difficult it can be for some kids to make up that time and work), and so forth.

We expect teachers to take on a tremendous responsibility for our children and their future, so they most certainly are important when it comes to these kinds of decisions. It's far more than "feel good stuff." It's hard enough for teachers to actually get to teach these days (partly thanks to rigid programs such as "no child left behind"). They have a vested interest in their students' well being and overall education. Parents who have a "who gives a damn what the teachers and school thinks" attitude are likely those who also don't get involved in their child's education and think their little darling can do no wrong. That's part of the reason that some districts have cracked down on unexcused absences. When told that their child skipped 4 days of school, their attitude is "Who cares. It's only school." Sad but true that many parents today simply don't care. (Of course, there have always been uninvolved parents; there simply seem to be far more of them now.)

beachchick

Archived