When are the special nights on HAL (dining question)?

Avril

I have a question about dining on HAL. I'm sailing with my Mom for New Years and it will be our 1st HAL cruise. :D We want to try everything!! :D So, to plan when we go to the dining room and when we go to the special restaurant(s), we need to know when some things are. First of all, on a typical 7 day caribbean cruise with HAL, when are the Formal Nights? We want to go to the dining room for those. :D Also, I know a lot of people on here say they don't like them but as we're HAL newbies, we want to try everything and see for ourselves so, on a typical 7 day caribbean cruise with HAL, when is Dutch Night/Master Chef Night (I've heard it called both)? We'll want to be in the dining room for that as well. :D If our itinerary makes a difference, here it is:

Ft. Lauderdale

Half Moon Cay

At Sea

Aruba

Curacao (New Years Eve)

At Sea (New Years Day)

At Sea

Ft. Lauderdale

Also if it makes a difference, we're sailing on the Eurodam, I can't wait!! :D

Thanks!! :D

I can't wait to find out answers to these. I am on crusing during New Years too.

Cruising over New Years is a blast!! :D I've done it twice on Carnival. I hope you have a great cruise!!!! :D

when is Dutch Night/Master Chef Night (I've heard it called both)?

Dutch night and Master Chef's Dinner are two different things.

I haven't seen a true Dutch night in several years; but there may be a night when some of the traditional Dutch night dinners are served.

The Master Chef's Dinner is a production number, with singers, dancers, and juggled vegetables. There is a limited menu, with a lot of mushrooms in everything. :rolleyes: That's a popular night for the Pinnacle.

Dutch night and Master Chef's Dinner are two different things.

I haven't seen a true Dutch night in several years; but there may be a night when some of the traditional Dutch night dinners are served.

The Master Chef's Dinner is a production number, with singers, dancers, and juggled vegetables. There is a limited menu, with a lot of mushrooms in everything. :rolleyes: That's a popular night for the Pinnacle.

Well, there I go, showing my HAL ingorance (sp). :o I thought Dutch Night and Master Chef's Night were one and the same. It's Master Chef's Night we want to be in the Dining Room for. :D Like I said in my original post, we're HAL newbies so we want to try everything. Also, Master Chef's Night sounds like what they do at dinner on Carnival (not every night, but most) so it'll make us feel more at home I guess.

So, does anyone know what night Master Chef's Night is on during a typical 7 Day Caribbean HAL cruise? Also, I'd like to know what nights the Formal Nights are as I love dressing up to the nines (and want to be in the dining room for them). :D It's nice to see there's still a mainstream cruise line that values dress codes and follows them. :D

Avril,

IMO, the dining room menus for formal nights and Master Chef's dinner are the least inspired of the entire cruise. If you eat in the Pinnacle on formal night, the diners are still going to be dressed formally. I've sailed Carnival, and they don't have anything like the Master Chef's dinner. But give it a try, you may like. I just don't need my food to be paraded around the dining room by dancing waiters. :D

Roz

Avril,

IMO, the dining room menus for formal nights and Master Chef's dinner are the least inspired of the entire cruise. If you eat in the Pinnacle on formal night, the diners are still going to be dressed formally. I've sailed Carnival, and they don't have anything like the Master Chef's dinner. But give it a try, you may like. I just don't need my food to be paraded around the dining room by dancing waiters. :D

Thanks Roz. :D I'd still like to experiance both as Master Chefs Night will be new to me (as I've never sailed with HAL) and Formal Nights are my favourite nights on a cruise. :D I'd like to have dinner on Formal Night in the Formal Dining Room.

However, I still don't have the answer to my question. What nights of the cruise are these special nights typicaly on? Are they on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th night? We want to pre-book the Pinnacle online before we go so we need to know.

Thanks!! :D

On any of the cruises I have been on the first formal night (Captain's Dinner) has been on the first Sea Day and the second was held on the second Sea Day. Given that there are 3 Sea Days on our cruise this year I would still say that Sea Day #1 would be the Captain's Dinner while either Sea Day #2 or #3 would be the second formal night. CCers have mentioned in the past that there wouldn't be a formal night on the last night (Sea Day #3) so it would probably be on Sea Day #2. Just a guess though. :rolleyes:

Since you're going on a New Year's Eve cruise, the 2nd formal night may be New Year's Eve when you're in Curacao. That may good, since the city may well do fireworks. On holiday cruises, some of the usual "rules" may not apply.

Roz

We just got off the Westerdam yesterday. Our itinerary was Western Caribbean so a bit different from yours. But our two formal nights were Monday night (second night out - our Half Moon Cay day) and Thursday night (a sea day). We did the Pinnacle on Tuesday and Friday. The only ceremony type thing we saw in the dining room was the Baked Alaska parade which was on the last night (Saturday).

In order to figure out the Holiday schedule, I am waiting till a true Southern cruise (my schedule) is reviewed. I think that will help point out when things were held. I don't think they would alter too much just for the holiday but add something extra that day. We shall see.

I too am anxious to hear.

BTW- I pre booked the Pinnacle over the phone and choose the 2nd sea day. It may end up being the formal night but we can change the pinnacle once I get on board. I didn't want to do it the last sea day as I like to thank my waiter-since I have fixed second seating. I am hoping to make Master Chef night since I too want to experience everything.

We'll be on the Noordam and have booked the Pinnacle for the 2nd sea day for Valentine's Day. If dining is formal on that night and they serve this will the Pinnacle also have lobster on the menu? Lots of "if's" in my question but I would not be pleased to miss lobster in trade for Pinnacle dining if lobster was not included on a lobster night. :D

Archived