Need Some River Cruise advice...

volntitan

Hi folks.

My parents want to take a river cruise, most likely european. They have generously invited my wife and I and out college age daughter. My father has asked me to look into them for him. But here is the thing...my folks are elderly, and although active, my father has a new hip and some breathing issues. Now these are folks that when they go cruising, they go on Sea Dream, so they like the upper scale cabins and food.

After looking at River Cruises, I am having a hard time finding a line that has rooms with very comfortable beds and great food. Are there any that fit this bill? Maybe ones that are relaxing and there is a choice of taking an excursion or not? Do any of them have all-inclusive, including drinks?

ANY help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Not really, only because honestly, don't know anything about them. My father is handling everything, so I don't know how expensive they are compared to the Viking cruises. Are they alot more? Do they ever run specials? I'm willing to be pointed in any direction.

I highly recommend Peter Deilmann river cruises. The Mozart staterooms are 200 sq.ft, the cuisine is excellent as well as the service. Also, their river cruise boats have a doctor on board, which may be good for your elderly parents (river cruises typically don't have a ship doctor). Excursions are optional. I was on the Mozart last April and on the Katharina von Bora last month - both are upscale 5* beautiful ships. I can't compare to other rivers cruises, as I've only been on ocean cruises before with Oceania. My next river cruise is with Uniworld in April 2009.

One of the suites on Uniworld ships would give them lots of room and a big enough room to hang out when they didn't feel like joining a shore excursion.

The beds on their ships are exceptionally comfortable and I thoroughly enjoyed the food.

We agree. We've been on three Uniworld Europe river cruises now, and they would be good for your folks if they got a suite on any of the Uniworld ships. On one of our cruises we had a woman 88 years old using a cane, traveling with her (obviously adult) daughter, and she did everything we did except for the 45-degree stairs climb inside a windmill. Also, on our last cruise, there were a few older people with canes and even one man with an electric wheelchair who made it to most places the rest of us went.

Your folks can choose to go on the excursion or not, or go at a leisurely pace on their own when the ship is tied up right in the middle of a village/town.

We've posted some of our river cruise pics (along with copies of the daily programs) on our home web site. Click on any of the links at the bottom of http://www.hillrisefarm.us/Cruising.html.

Cheers! :)

Volntitan: The only river cruises we've taken have been with Viking and we have another booked for June 2009 (Amsterdam to Budapest). We found the accomodations and food to be great. Each evening there was a pre-dinner talk about the excursions for the following day with a detailed account of any walking difficulties that might be encountered. Specifics were given as to where passengers could comfortably sit and wait if and when they found the going a bit rough.

Also, there's currently a special 2-for-1 cruise fare for selected newly booked river cruises in 2009 with Viking.

Whatever your family chooses, I'm sure you'll all be happy. River cruising is a wonderful and relaxing way to get up close and personal with many cities in Europe.

Are there hair dryers in each of the cabins? We are in the best room category the ship offers, so if there are hair dryers, I would think there would be one in our room. I looked through all of my documents...couldn't find an answer.

Thanks in advance

We have been on Viking and Uniworld River Cruises and there have been hair dryers on both of those lines. If your cruise is from another line I would call the reservation desk or customer service and they will be able to tell you that. I do feel pretty sure that hair dryers are provided on almost all lines.

enjoy your cruise.

micked10

Viking, Uniworld and Gate 1 all had very nice, pistol-type hairdryers. They were at the small desk area in the cabin area. AMA had the kind that looked like a vacuum cleaner hose and it was awful. It hung on the wall over the toilet. :mad:

We just returned from the Premicon Queen, and there is nothing quite like it on the Rivers. The ship entered the water in June, 08, at a cost of 20M euros. The most gorgeous wood is found from ceiling to floor, comfortable rooms, the finest cuisine imagineable and service beyond reproach await you. YOu will be surrounded by a majority of German passengers (we were the 3rd Americans), and everyone will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and included in every activity. We loved not having to eat at a set time, and having room service.

We sailed Viking this year and the 2 lines are not comparible. Viking is middle of the road at best. The ship is older, you must eat at assigned time; there is no room service. The food is adequate, watery soups and salad dressings, bland pastries, very repetitive choices. A nice feature of Viking is the inclusion of tours; you will pay extra for tours with Premicon.

I will be glad to answer any questions. Please email me at mem469@yahoo.com

River cruise is a great experience and you will certainly enjoy the days on the river.

At this time last year my DW and I were on the Viking Spirit visiting Xmas markets on the Danube. In our opinion, a fabulous experience in terms of tours, fellow travellers, ambience and even food (my wife has dietary issues which were impeccably addressed). There was little to criticize.

Now, can we imagine there are more luxurious ships to sail on? Absolutely. And does this mean our tastes are relentlessly middle of the road? Perhaps. We also know that our investment portfolio was decidedly middle of the road, and in the present economic climate possibly headed toward the lower road :(.

From what I've read on this board many cruisers are repeat travellers on the same cruise lines (we'll be back on the Spirit for "Tulips and Windmills"

in the spring). So for newbe cruisers who are worried about possible quality issues...do your homework, be realistic about your expectations, and I'm sure you'll find an excursion that will provide a wealth of fond memories.

Nordski, thank you so much for your post. My husband and I leave on Saturday for this very same cruise. More info on what you did while on the cruise will be greatly appreciated. We are also middle of the road people, we like clean comfortable surroundings, don't have to be waited on constantly. Did you take the trip to Salzburg? What about Vienna? Let me know if possible.

Thanks,

KK

Hi KK

Once again I'm forced to contemplate the inherent unfairness of life. After 2 hours, I've just come back in from removing about 1 foot of wet, heavy snow from my and the neighbour's property and you, in a week, will have the delight of being on the Xmas Market Tour and, I suspect, San Antonio never deals with so much snow. On the other hand, no doubt your summers are much hotter than ours and I will have to stifle my envy.

Since you have been following the Xmas Market thread on this site, you are, in terms of knowledge, already miles ahead of where we were last December and even where we are now. But I'll try my best.

Vienna: we were jet lagged when we arrived and, despite the value of the guided tour, probably missed much that was worthwhile. The optional trip to Schloss Schonbrunn was

definitely worth the price and there is a small Xmas market there. Some day we will return to Vienna.

Salzburg: An option we would recommend, since you will be there on a weekday and the crowds shouldn't be too bad. Lots of markets besides the sight-seeing. The lunch at a local restaurant was provided by Viking and it was the only meal that I was aware that some people found disappointing.

Regensburg: try the sausages and mustard at the Wurstkuchl which is located at the foot of the town's oldest bridge. The guided tour will likely end there.

Passau: Probably our favorite town. Wonderful views from the Sun Deck as you enter it.

Nuremburg: fascinating but we were there on the weekend and it was very, very busy.

Prague: we added the 3 day extension to Prague and loved it. But there are other cruises that can take you to that city.

On the boat, there was an eclectic and fascinating group of people with travel experience in New Zealand, Russia, China etc. Early morning, prior to breakfast, was a great time to meet early risers in the Observation Lounge.

Sorry this is long, and I realize that it would be more suitable in the Xmas market thread. However, I have no idea how to move it there.

Hope you have as great a time as we did. Let me know how you enjoy the cruise or if I can help in any other way.

Hi again KK

Not a problem. My DW reminded me about the optional concert in Vienna. We didn't go, but those who did (and some were quite serious about music) seemed quite happy with it. As a result, my DW wasn't pleased to miss it and that, of course, is why we will be going back to Vienna :).

I'm certain you've already seen the warnings on this web-site that those, like you, who have extensive ocean cruising experience will find that river cruising is a very different experience with a different set of parameters. But I'm impressed with the amount of reseach you've done that will inform your expectations.

Best of luck!

Archived