When does Carnival take your cruise picture?

ms simba

I know they take some kind of picture when you first board (for ID badge?). What does it look like - just head shot or full body?

Does Carnival take another picture later to sell you as an "Official Cruise Picture?" I know my nephew and sister had one taken with one of the dancers and it was really nice.

The reason I ask is that I am wondering if I should wear a nice dress when I first board the ship. I will be traveling by car from Orlando to Tampa, returning the car, taking the shuttle, and then getting on board. So if Carnival takes your "Official -full body length picture when you board I would have to wear my dress from Orlando. However, if Carnival only takes a head shot for the ID badge then I can wear whatever I choose.

Has anyone posted an ID badge picture or an "Official Cruise picture?"

When does Carnival take your cruise picture? Everytime you turn around!

I know they take some kind of picture when you first board (for ID badge?). What does it look like - just head shot or full body? Both

Does Carnival take another picture later to sell you as an "Official Cruise Picture?" I know my nephew and sister had one taken with one of the dancers and it was really nice. Constantly.....

The reason I ask is that I am wondering if I should wear a nice dress when I first board the ship. I will be traveling by car from Orlando to Tampa, returning the car, taking the shuttle, and then getting on board. So if Carnival takes your "Official -full body length picture when you board I would have to wear my dress from Orlando. However, if Carnival only takes a head shot for the ID badge then I can wear whatever I choose. Don't bother, be comfortable. You'll have many photos to choose from during the cruise.

See above.

You'll probably never see your ID photo. I figure mine looks like a drivers' license pic and I do not want to see it!

Before boarding, you'll be stopped for the obligatory boarding photo. You do not need to dress up!

Every time you turn around, there will be a photographer. It gets really annoying, actually.

Every time you disembark in port, you're forced to stop for a photo. I refuse and just keep walking. You'll be interupted while dining, too.

There will be a gazillion photographers set up along the promenade (interior) hallways and around the atrium staircases. You can get 100 professional shots taken during the cruise, if you want.

I will occasionally buy 1 photo from formal night. Some people spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on them, but not me! I'm happy with the ones we get from out little digital cameras by asking a tablemate, or someone sitting on the tender, or next to us on a tour bus, or at the bar.

They usually take a picture before going onto the ship, with a picture of the ship and the date in the backround. Kind of a bon voyage picture. This is before passing through the final checkpoint on boarding. Your "official" photo will be taken at a podium type device when you get there to match your face with your sign and sail card every time you get on and off the ship. Mainly just a head shot.

Other than that there will be opportunities to have your picture taken anywhere and everywhere while on the ship

I know they take some kind of picture when you first board (for ID badge?). What does it look like - just head shot or full body?

Does Carnival take another picture later to sell you as an "Official Cruise Picture?" I know my nephew and sister had one taken with one of the dancers and it was really nice.

The reason I ask is that I am wondering if I should wear a nice dress when I first board the ship. I will be traveling by car from Orlando to Tampa, returning the car, taking the shuttle, and then getting on board. So if Carnival takes your "Official -full body length picture when you board I would have to wear my dress from Orlando. However, if Carnival only takes a head shot for the ID badge then I can wear whatever I choose.

Yes, Carnival will take your full body picture (with the people you're cruising with) before you board, so wear that dress! I didn't know that the first time we cruised and I look like I just got out of bed and threw on the first thing I could find :eek:! (Caused by being exhausted from getting up really early, being really nervous and having to fly!)

The head shot will be for your ID badge only and you probably won't ever see it.

As the others have said, there will be many opportunites to have pictures taken, to the point that you'll never want to see a photographer again :D!

Have a wonderful cruise,

Before our first cruise, I thought I knew what to expect (having spend hours on this forum reading everything I could find about cruising). The one thing I did not realize was that we would be having our picture taken 3 or 4 (sometimes more) times a day. We would make a daily stop at the picture display and remove unwanted pictures (and of course buy some of them - not going to next time (sure I won't)).

When we cruised Oceania, there were none of the ubiquitous photographers. Was wonderful. When on a mainstream, we just say no thank you when asked. If we decide we want a particular pic taken, we set it up with a photographer.

you'll be stopped for the obligatory boarding photo...

All photos are voluntary. There is no obligatory boarding photo. ID pics are taken when you check in before you board.

The biggest photo annoyance is the congestion on the gangway when some clueless photographer decides that you have to stop as you leave the ship for a photo with their cheesy port logo about halfway down the gangway. This plugs up the gangway and stops everyone in their tracks.

When there are 2500-3000 people waiting to leave the ship, it amounts to a major peeve. And the photogs like to make it seem as though the photo is required.

Having said that, there are some photogs and cruise lines that set up for photos after you have stepped off of the gangway which allows other to get past those who opt for a photo.

Save some money, ask another passenger to snap your photo on your own camera. :) (after you clear the gangway)

• 4 weeks later...

While the impromtu photos can get annoying, I think taking advantage of the photography sets around the ship - usually before dinner can be worth the time. On Carniaval they had a few different backdrops each evening. It was nice to have professional pictures taken in a variety of outfits - a service which would cost a fortune at home, with no obligation to buy. We waited until the end of the cruise to decide if we wanted to buy any to make sure we had the best selection. It would be a shame to buy something early in the week only to find that they took a better one later. It may seem a little campy, like having your picture taken at the prom, but we were so pleased with the quality of the photos that we did end up buying a few.

The "obligatory" boarding photo does seem that way (purposely, IMO). You've just been through the entire cattle-herding process: security checkpoints, check-in, security photo, etc. You're used to going where you're told and doing what you're told. Just before boarding, you are funneled toward the boarding-photo stop, and by then you're just following orders and hoping to board sometime soon. They don't ask if you want your picture taken, they just point you toward the set. I felt funny the first time I asked, "Do I have to do this part?"

So yes, it's voluntary, and yes, they kind of make it seem like it's not. But it is, just like the MANY other photo opps that will present themselves. And having your picture taken does not obligate you to buy any of them.

• 1 month later...
You'll probably never see your ID photo. I figure mine looks like a drivers' license pic and I do not want to see it!

Before boarding, you'll be stopped for the obligatory boarding photo. You do not need to dress up!

Every time you turn around, there will be a photographer. It gets really annoying, actually.

Every time you disembark in port, you're forced to stop for a photo. I refuse and just keep walking. You'll be interupted while dining, too.

There will be a gazillion photographers set up along the promenade (interior) hallways and around the atrium staircases. You can get 100 professional shots taken during the cruise, if you want.

I will occasionally buy 1 photo from formal night. Some people spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on them, but not me! I'm happy with the ones we get from out little digital cameras by asking a tablemate, or someone sitting on the tender, or next to us on a tour bus, or at the bar.

I have seen mine. It stays up on screen until they scan the next PAX's card. All you have to do is look at their screen before the next PAX comes through.

LOL! I am always ugly-it looks like a driver's license pic-and I doubt there is anything that can be done to make that look better. BTW, to the OP, it is only a head and shoulders pic.

And at what point do you see all the pics they took of you and when do you have the opportunity to purchase any?

Usually your picture will be ready for you to see and purchase around 5 hours after it is taken. You go to the photo gallery to view and purchase. Now, the photo gallery is not open when in port, so you go there after the ship sails in the evening. So perhaps you will wait longer than 5 hours to see it-(such as your morning pic taken) but a picture taken that afternoon is usually on display that evening.

The "ID" picture is NOT shown on your S&S pass---it's for the ship's use only. You won't see it. (It's a "head shot")

All other pictures will be for sale to you, at some point! You do NOT have to buy everything!

I have seen mine many times, it pops up on the screen after my card is scanned when I am returning to ship. Just look quick-because as soon as another card is scanned-it is the next PAX's pic.

Usually your picture will be ready for you to see and purchase around 5 hours after it is taken. You go to the photo gallery to view and purchase. Now, the photo gallery is not open when in port, so you go there after the ship sails in the evening. So perhaps you will wait longer than 5 hours to see it-(such as your morning pic taken) but a picture taken that afternoon is usually on display that evening.

Thanks for that info!

The ID picture is just a head shot. Carnival will not try to sell that to you.

As for the official picture, one will be taken just before you board, another will be taken after you board, several will be taken on the formal nights and one will be taken at each port stop.

Don't worry, if you want to have your picture taken by Carnival, they will. You can pick and choose which ones you purchase. You are not under any obligation to buy any.

• 2 weeks later...

it's your first cruise. enjoy every minute of it, including getting your pictures taken by the ships photographers.

on our first cruise over 20 years ago we bought most of them. if you continue to cruise then maybe skip it or some of them.

we have sailed several times now but none were as magical as that first on on the carnival jubilee.

enjoy

Archived