Rescue at Sea - Coral Princess

Canuck-Ottawa

We're on the Coral Princess (Nov.19 voyage from FLL to Acapulco via the Panama Canal).

Captain Mancuso announced, at 8:30AM, that we had to adjust course to rescue an injured and unconscious crew member from a 33’ sailing boat!

The Columbian Coast Guard radioed us the position, and we were to stop and render medical aid.

We are in the very middle of the Caribbean between Jamaica and Panama. You’d never catch me on a 33’ boat out here!

It took us over 2 hours to reach the boat and slow down. There were two freighters rushing in as well, with one beside us for over 1 hour.

When we arrived the sailboat was floundering in 10’ swells. The rescue tender was launched, and the medical team stood by

The poor rescue tender was almost hit by the mast of the sailboat a number of times, but eventually they literally grabbed the unconscious man, and dragged him between the two boats.

They brought him back and the Cruise Director (Ron Goodman) just announced that he is now conscious and no longer critical.

They even asked for any passengers with O-negative blood to come to the medical centre for blood donations if necessary.

The three crewmen on the rescue tender were awesome. The driver was brilliant. He avoided being hit by the sailboat dozens of times while trying to get close enough to pull the man off.

By the way, the bridge web cam caught the whole episode!

Rick

Very cool!

It's always good to hear a happy ending to tales like that. You have to wonder though about sailors, hikers and the like who go out to sea or the wilderness and are unprepared for weather and such. I'll withold judgement on this particular incident, but I know here in AZ, hikers in the Grand Canyon who ignore basic precautions are held liable for the costs of their rescues or evacuations.

Okay, who now wants to complain about the service they receive on these cruises?, these people are trained well and deserve recognition, (which i feel alot of us dont give) Alot of people only think about how long it took to get their drink or that things were not exactly perfect. This story reminds us that there is alot more to the employees of a cruise ship than waiting on us hand and foot..

As a followup, last night at the Motorcity review in the Princess Theater, Ron Goodman introduced the 3 rescue tender "heros" to the passengers and presented them with flowers on behalf of the pax and crew. Obviously, there was a standing ovation!

The driver is a young Italian man, who is just beaming around the ship. The other 2 were a South African and a Philippino.

Oh, by the way, we are in the middle of the Panama Canal going through our 4th lock at this moment. I'm sitting in the Churchill Lounge typing this (Yes, I'm one of those bad people!)

Wow, that is interesting.

We were on the cruise just before you, Nov. 5-19. We had three medical emergencies, we had to slow down outside Cabo San Lucas while the ship disembarked two passengers on to a Mexican coast guard ship so they could go home due to medical problems, while we all watched.

Then the next night during dinner the Captain announced a "Code Alpha on the Caribe Deck" twice. The rumor was a passenger died, but we never found out what it was.

Then two more passengers disembarked at Puerto Amador due to heart attack.

Given the fact that the average passenger age was 70, I guess they are well rehearsed in medical procedures!

Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Wow, that is interesting.

We were on the cruise just before you, Nov. 5-19. We had three medical emergencies, we had to slow down outside Cabo San Lucas while the ship disembarked two passengers on to a Mexican coast guard ship so they could go home due to medical problems, while we all watched.

Then the next night during dinner the Captain announced a "Code Alpha on the Caribe Deck" twice. The rumor was a passenger died, but we never found out what it was.

Then two more passengers disembarked at Puerto Amador due to heart attack.

Given the fact that the average passenger age was 70, I guess they are well rehearsed in medical procedures!

Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Good work on the rescue Coral Princess crew!

We had a Code Alpha when we were on the Coral earlier this year - I was in line to get tender tickets - it caught my attention because it was the cabin next to ours! The lady had passed away.

okay, who now wants to complain about the service they receive on these cruises?, these people are trained well and deserve recognition, (which i feel alot of us dont give) alot of people only think about how long it took to get their drink or that things were not exactly perfect. This story reminds us that there is alot more to the employees of a cruise ship than waiting on us hand and foot..
How right you are!!

What a rescue crew on that tender! I'm so impressed. I'm with Putterdude in that not many are aware of how well the crew is trained until something like this happens.

Hi folks; one of the reasons I am acutely aware of this is because our youngest son is a cox'n or if you wish, a quartermaster (working on his mates ticket) on the deep sea ferry that runs between northern Vancouver Is. and Prince Rupert. They are continually drilled in firefighting and lifesaving to the point he was injured in such a drilll and has been on the beach since mid January. Rescue at sea is not simple matter, people but life and limb at risk.

So does Code Alpha mean there has been a death? Just clarifing. Thanks!

I do believe that Code Alpha means a medical emergency. We had two on our New Year's voyage on the Dawn Princess. They were both in a dining room during dinner on different days. :( From what I understand, the two people passed away...

Archived