Rescue at Sea - Coral Princess

Canuck-Ottawa

We are in the very middle of the Caribbean between Jamaica and Panama. You’d never catch me on a 33’ boat out here!

That size sailboat is not at all uncommon in the Caribbean. I was on a 35' sailboat in the open Caribbean (no land in sight and sailed literally THROUGH a thunderstorm) 12 years ago, chartered with a husband/wife "crew". This was supposed to be a surprise "gift" from the people we were visiting. Five of us with the "crew", I was the only one who got sick or had any issue with the sailing. Not an experience I care to repeat, but it's certainly not uncommon.

Hello guys!

I'm the one rescued by Coral Princess and her crew has my deepest gratitude for timming, actions, kindness and everything you can imagine.

To give you an idea of my condition, according to the doctors in Panama City, during the four days and nights at sea, I've got an unexpected internal gastric bleeding that took 50% of my total blood volume, sub-heart beating rate and blood pressure much below normal. The doctors were unanimous in saying that I hardly would make another 48 hours under those conditions. In other words, rescue was absolutely on time!

I’m deeply grateful for all the support and attention gave to me by Coral Princess crew, helping a fellow seafarer in great distress.

Just a small note to RedRox. As old sailors we're quite well prepared, my friend, and always followed all rules straight by the book. But accidents happen...

Thanks to all!

As a followup, last night at the Motorcity review in the Princess Theater, Ron Goodman introduced the 3 rescue tender "heros" to the passengers and presented them with flowers on behalf of the pax and crew. Obviously, there was a standing ovation!

The driver is a young Italian man, who is just beaming around the ship. The other 2 were a South African and a Philippino.

Wonderful way to express thanks and recognition. Those three men should be very proud of themselves.

Ricardo!

I'm so happy you have replied to this thread. I saw you unconscious in the bottom of the tender as you came along side the ship and then saw you walk off to the ambulance in Panama. Did you hear the applause from all of us watching?

You had a very close call my friend!

The Coral Princess videographer caught the whole episode on his camera, and they were selling a DVD, as well as photographs, of the entire rescue in the Photo Gallery during the last 5 days of the cruise. Since you actually didn't "see" the operation, you should ask Princess for a copy. :D

(Or just wait until it hits Youtube!)

All the crew and passengers were worried about you, which is why the Cruise Director kept us informed on your progress, even after you left the ship.

I'm so glad you're "on the mend". I felt sorry for the young lady who met you at the ship. It looked like she had a lot of paperwork to complete with the Panamanian authorities after the ambulance took you away. Did she?

Let us know how you are doing in the future.

I don't think anyone really appreciates how well crews are trained until something like this happens. Thanks Canuck - Ottawa for sharing this story with us.

I spoke with Robb (Jamaican waiter in the Grill and Churchill Lounge) about this on the second last night of the cruise. He told me even he is trained on driving the tenders and rescue craft. He said the amount of cross-training that all staff receive is incredible. I felt very comfortable knowing that no matter what happens on the these ships, or where it happens, there will be crew members nearby who can carry out whatever duties are needed.

I’m deeply grateful for all the support and attention gave to me by Coral Princess crew, helping a fellow seafarer in great distress.

Just a small note to RedRox. As old sailors we're quite well prepared, my friend, and always followed all rules straight by the book. But accidents happen...

Thanks to all!

Ricardo, I to am very glad to know that you are well, and even more so to see your note here. And as you saw, I was witholding judgement on your case, but issuing a blanket warning to others. I'm pleased to know that you were well prepared, and that you were able to get the timely assistance that saved your life. God bless you.

Great story with a very happy ending. Thanks Canuck, best wishes Ricardo and good luck.

We were on the old Crown our second cruise 1992. The Crown's crew rescued a boat load of Cubans off Cuba. Small boat lots of Cubans including childern. Wonderful rescue right at dinner time.

GERTZ

Princess Elite

No, Canuk, I have no idea about the paperwork at the dock. The only thing I can say is that they quickly took me to a wonderful and modern hospital in Panama City, where I was treated like a prince for 4 days!

As a matter of justice, (and information for cruiser passengers…) it is important to bring to you the work of Princess Coral medical crew. Dr. Colin Hamilton and his team did a wonderful work with me at the intensive care unit. Those guys are prepared for any emergency that arises and probably, played the most important role in my recovery. God bless them all!

No, Canuk, I have no idea about the paperwork at the dock. The only thing I can say is that they quickly took me to a wonderful and modern hospital in Panama City, where I was treated like a prince for 4 days!

As a matter of justice, (and information for cruiser passengers…) it is important to bring to you the work of Princess Coral medical crew. Dr. Colin Hamilton and his team did a wonderful work with me at the intensive care unit. Those guys are prepared for any emergency that arises and probably, played the most important role in my recovery. God bless them all!

I fully agree! If passengers were able to see the medical center on most Princess ships, they'd be surprised to see what the medical staff are capable of. They can X-ray, analyse blood (full lab), have links to medical centers, perform minor surgery, etc.

They have better facilities and response time than some small town hospitals, and the staff are regularly audited externally (ISO9001:2000 - only cruise line that is!). All are practicing doctors and nurses.

There's even an alternate care site in a different fire zone on the ships.

After taking the Princess Academy courses, including the one on their medical centers, and seeing how they handled your incident, I am thoroughly impressed with the Princess cruise line!

• 11 months later...

Code Alpha means a serious medical emergency. It is not uncommon to hear them at least once per cruise, especially when the passengers fit into older demographics. Often you will hear "Code Alpha" in a particular dining room, as it seems to be more common for people to have heart attacks there.

Another thing to note is that people would be surprised at how many terminally ill or quite depressed people go on cruises and do not come back....they go "missing" during the cruise.

Code Alpha means a serious medical emergency. It is not uncommon to hear them at least once per cruise, especially when the passengers fit into older demographics. Often you will hear "Code Alpha" in a particular dining room, as it seems to be more common for people to have heart attacks there.

Another thing to note is that people would be surprised at how many terminally ill or quite depressed people go on cruises and do not come back....they go "missing" during the cruise.

I presume that you realize that this thread is a year old?

I presume that you realize that this thread is a year old?

I caught on to the date just after reading since it is only the 15th of November today--still a good story and one that I had not read before.

Nancy:D:D

Welcome to CC.

The Golden Princess was also involved in a rescue 400 miles from Hawaii. A Seattle couple and their 2 dog were forced to abandon their fishing boat and the Golden Princess was the closest vessel. Below is link to the story.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Seattle-couple-rescued-on-the-high-seas-70078687.html

Archived