If you bring wine onboard

tdcjerry

Two weeks ago we carried three bottles of wine onboard the Star. At the pier we received stickers for the bottles and they gave them back to us to carry onboard. We emptied our min-bar and put the bottles inside. We were charged the corkage fee X3 the first time we brought a bottle to dinner. (We checked for the charge on our printout and it was listed under Versaile [sp?] on the second day.) I wonder what would have happened if we would have kept the bottles in our cabin and not brought them to a restaurant?

Last January, I brought 6 bottles on Pearl. I paid $90 plus tip, and then carried them onboard. Whe I got to the ship, they told me the would store them for me until the cruise was over. After I got someone that understood about the corkage fee, I was allowed to carry them to my room. I did so and used them in the room and in the restaurants with no problem or additional charge.

They charge you when you board. Rule is $15 per 750ml. Sometimes they charge for large bottles, sometimes not. Carryon is your best bet as their is a fair chance they will not stop you, or the line to pay is long and, well, you know...

If you drink it in your room, no problem. If you take a glass of wine with you when you go to..., no problem.

See more tips in my link below.

Guests are only allowed to bring bottle(s) of wine onboard NCL vessels for a corkage fee. When wine is brought onboard and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room/area, or in their stateroom corkage fees will apply according to bottle sizes noted below. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

Bottle is 750ml corkage = $15.00 USD

Liter Bottle is 1,000ml corkage = $20.00 USD

Magnum is 1,500ml corkage = $30.00 USD

Wines that are not featured on NCL's wine lists are subject to the corkage fee including wine sent directly to the ship by Travel Agents, friends, family, etc. from another retail source.

Wines that are not featured on NCL's wine lists are subject to the corkage fee including wine sent directly to the ship by Travel Agents, friends, family, etc. from another retail source.

Were you quoting this from NCL? Seems counter intuitive... you are only charged for wines that are not featured on the NCL wine list?

I have been reading up, since I am fussy about my wine... ... and I had not heard this.

Even when they have a great wine list, I have at least on one occasion found a "storage" issue. I don't think they take great care of their fine wines. I am all about BYOB for fine wines.

The corkage fee wouldn't make sense for the low end wines, but I believe it does if you enjoy a particular wine or purchase more expensive wines.

In any event, here is to a good glass of wine on a wonderful cruise!!

Were you quoting this from NCL? Seems counter intuitive... you are only charged for wines that are not featured on the NCL wine list?

I have been reading up, since I am fussy about my wine... ... and I had not heard this.

Even when they have a great wine list, I have at least on one occasion found a "storage" issue. I don't think they take great care of their fine wines. I am all about BYOB for fine wines.

The corkage fee wouldn't make sense for the low end wines, but I believe it does if you enjoy a particular wine or purchase more expensive wines.

In any event, here is to a good glass of wine on a wonderful cruise!!

Mylesf was not quoting NCL, because their "written" policy that you can read at the website under FAQ's states that NO ALCOHOL is allowed to be brought on board.

That being said, wine is allowed and it doesn't matter if NCL carries that vintage or not. Bring as much as you want. The $15 is a service fee, not necessarily a corkage fee. Mylesf also stated that boxed wine is not allowed, however, many, many people have been successful getting it on and paying the service fee. But, I should add, bottles will definitely get through, you take a chance by taking a box because the staff member may decide not to allow it. So the advice is sound.

I agree with you that a more expensive bottle is worth bringing and that if you don't mind wines bought at Walmart, the cost is a wash as you can purchase a bottle onboard for $35 including tip.

Mylesf was not quoting NCL, because their "written" policy that you can read at the website under FAQ's states that NO ALCOHOL is allowed to be brought on board.

That being said, wine is allowed and it doesn't matter if NCL carries that vintage or not. Bring as much as you want. The $15 is a service fee, not necessarily a corkage fee. Mylesf also stated that boxed wine is not allowed, however, many, many people have been successful getting it on and paying the service fee. But, I should add, bottles will definitely get through, you take a chance by taking a box because the staff member may decide not to allow it. So the advice is sound.

I agree with you that a more expensive bottle is worth bringing and that if you don't mind wines bought at Walmart, the cost is a wash as you can purchase a bottle onboard for $35 including tip.

Actually, I was quoting NCL via a source that they provide to travel agents. The box wine is a new change in policy. However, I do know that passengers have still been able to get it on-board and others that have not. I wouuld skip the box wine and take bottles.

I am guessing, and only guessing here, that the new policy regarding box wine is because it is rather easy to get them onboard and past their screening system. So, if they have a policy against them, then they can slow it down. Box wines travel very well, are priced way better than similar quality bottled wines, fit nicely in those little fridges, etc.

We brought three magnums on the NCL Star and the corkage was still $15 each. We didn't pay at the pier though. They just did a manual charge slip but the charge didn't appear until we went to the dining room on the second night. There was no way that the carry on x-ray screener was letting anyone onboard with alcohol without going to the side table first.

Last January, I brought 6 bottles on Pearl. I paid $90 plus tip, and then carried them onboard. Whe I got to the ship, they told me the would store them for me until the cruise was over. After I got someone that understood about the corkage fee, I was allowed to carry them to my room. I did so and used them in the room and in the restaurants with no problem or additional charge.

are you sure you paid a tip? We never have...

Nita

Actually, I was quoting NCL via a source that they provide to travel agents. The box wine is a new change in policy. However, I do know that passengers have still been able to get it on-board and others that have not. I wouuld skip the box wine and take bottles.

Good to know.. thanks.

I agree Nita.. we've never paid a tip for our corkage fees either. Perhaps Caspmorn is a gracious tipper. :D

Thank you all for the help on this, I just don't see a reason to pay 2 1/2 times the cost for wine on the ship.

I think some of us are thinking if you select low cost wines, there isn't much of a financial benefit to paying $15/bottle, if all you are saving is around $15. You still have to go out, purchase the wine, pack the wine, carry the wine, worry about is the wine going to break open (thank goodness in all the traveling I do, that has never happend to me).

If you are really fussy and prefer something they don't have on board, then, no matter what the cost savings, perhaps the $15 fee is worth it. I've also had times I wanted to bring a "special" bottle I've been saving, and it is nothing to do with the costs... but having access to my "special bottle."

If you enjoy high end wines, you may save money by purchasing your wine and bringing it with you and paying the $15/bottle. The other thing I have noticed, is that I don't think the high end wines are stored as they should. When I bring my own wine, generally I know how it has been cared for... which helps in having a good bottle. You can always risk a bad cork, but I've really rarely had that an issue.

Here are some prices of wines, fyi, I found somewhere on CC, I'm not sure how up to date they are:

Stag’s Leap Viogner $50

Caymus Conendrum $43 ($9.50/gl)

Rubicon $120

Caymus $80

Franciscon Magnificant $72

Jordan Cab $68

Neibaum Coppola Claret $34

Columbia Crest Grand Estate $25

Of course no vintages are listed... so it is difficult to evaluate.

Columbia Crest you can purchase for $10 - $15/bottle, add the $15 fee and you are about even.

I spoke to an NCL representative today about a price cut and hapened to ask her about wine. She said size makes no difference, it is $15/ bottle. She said as long as I don't bring in those really big bottles ( the kind that come w/o a cork) or a box, we are fine for $15.

I spoke to an NCL representative today about a price cut and hapened to ask her about wine. She said size makes no difference, it is $15/ bottle. She said as long as I don't bring in those really big bottles ( the kind that come w/o a cork) or a box, we are fine for $15.

Don't count on it.. She's not at the port. ;)

Don't count on it.. She's not at the port. ;)

I agree, I really would be surprised if they allowed a 3 or 5 liter box to go through with only a $15 charge. We have decided next week to try 1.5 liter bottles. Hope it is only $15 each, but if it is $30 we will have to pay it.

Nita

As the regulars here have discovered, the Customer Service Reps at NCL often have no idea what goes on at the port. If you were to call back you could easily find someone that says you can not bring wine at all. They will also tell you that you can not bring soda or bottled water, but we all know better.

And, it really does not matter what the agent on the phone says, the people at the port will do as they want.

We are planning on bringing wine on board. I want to bring a large bottle for the room and a couple of better bottles for dinner. I love St. Francis and Sonoma Cutrer Chards and they don't carry them on board. I prefer to keep the bottles in the room so I can be sure they're stored properly but my question is how big is the mini fridge? Will I be able to fit a large bottle in there? We've never had to pay for any wines we've brought on board before (RCCL, X and NCL), I guess we've been lucky but we're prepared to pay the fees, we just want to be sure we can chill them in the room.

Anyone know how roomy they are?

We are planning on bringing wine on board. I want to bring a large bottle for the room and a couple of better bottles for dinner. I love St. Francis and Sonoma Cutrer Chards and they don't carry them on board. I prefer to keep the bottles in the room so I can be sure they're stored properly but my question is how big is the mini fridge? Will I be able to fit a large bottle in there? We've never had to pay for any wines we've brought on board before (RCCL, X and NCL), I guess we've been lucky but we're prepared to pay the fees, we just want to be sure we can chill them in the room.

Anyone know how roomy they are?

you will be fine until you open the bottle, but I don't think it will stand up in the fridge, they are a bit small to put it mildly. We are thinking of doing something similar,but luckily we drink red..I think you can be safe in allowing the dining room store your wine, they have a pretty good idea what they are doing.

Nita

Archived