Tipping - What do you really recommend?

Wilkono

just some information about tips on the rhapsody

i found out that if you pre pay your gratuities it goes to the dining room and cabin steward and those people working in the windjammer gets nothing, the waiters working in the dining room stay there for 4 cruises and then work in the windjammer for the 5th cruise

if you wish to pre pay your tips you have to fill in the form at the pursers desk

if you want to pay your own tips you do nothing

rkmw

I know arxcards you say that any cash tips have to be handed back in, but I do wonder if there are any employees who try and keep it on the sly. (Can't say I blame them if they do, hey we're all human).:eek:

Anyway as I said just a thought?:D

Jingles.

I am sure some do - especially when out of the public eye, but you only have to be caught once. ;)

These staff have a wonderful service motto, and come from cultures where honour, integrity and hard work are important to them. I think we might be under estimate how many would hand them in.

It is funny to watch. On the last night, we watched a guy at the next table "secretly" slip a $50 to the waiter in a handshake. The waiter returned to the service station with his cash, put it in an envelope and handed to the head waiter when he came past.

just some information about tips on the rhapsody

i found out that if you pre pay your gratuities it goes to the dining room and cabin steward and those people working in the windjammer gets nothing, the waiters working in the dining room stay there for 4 cruises and then work in the windjammer for the 5th cruise

if you wish to pre pay your tips you have to fill in the form at the pursers desk

if you want to pay your own tips you do nothing

rkmw

I would also ask if they mind Australian currency. I know my daughter quite often doesn't buy anything at a port as she has no local currency and they tend not to exchange money. Some of the ships coming down now will be paid in US$ so the crew may be happy with the local currency. Just means they don't have to exchange any of their pay. Having said that they would double it here in NZ.

I would also ask if they mind Australian currency. I know my daughter quite often doesn't buy anything at a port as she has no local currency and they tend not to exchange money. Some of the ships coming down now will be paid in US$ so the crew may be happy with the local currency. Just means they don't have to exchange any of their pay. Having said that they would double it here in NZ.

hi ruste, we paid our cabin steward in aussie $$$$ and he took the money and said thank you, if he wanted to change the money into US $$$ he could change it over at the pursers desk

rkmw

hi ruste, we paid our cabin steward in aussie $$$$ and he took the money and said thank you, if he wanted to change the money into US $$$ he could change it over at the pursers desk

rkmw

The crew probably get paid monthly so it gives them local cash for when they go ashore. So that keeps everyone happy.

Maybe you would like to pay my tips for me then?

Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to come across that kind of cash (yet). On my current budget, I would probably spend $154.00 every two weeks just trying to feed myself, let alone going around tipping people. I'm scraping together every last cent for the chance to go on a nice holiday after three flat-out years at university, and I'll feel just fine spending $4.00 a night on tips.

Wow, heated topic indeed. Thanks everyone for the advice though :)

You could take on your own softdrink & munchies to save a little cash (that is what i'm going to do on my next cruise). Goodluck with whatever you decide :).

You could take on your own softdrink & munchies to save a little cash (that is what i'm going to do on my next cruise). Goodluck with whatever you decide :).

Will definitely be doing this :) Little off topic, but does every room on the Pacific Dawn come with a fridge? I thought I read somewhere it was only the suites.

Will definitely be doing this :) Little off topic, but does every room on the Pacific Dawn come with a fridge? I thought I read somewhere it was only the suites.

All cabins have a fridge on Pacific Dawn. Pacific Sun only has fridges in the suites.

Not everyone is the same when it comes to finances. You may be well able to pay your auto tips and then some more, but others may have to scrimp and save every cent just to be able to go on a cruise and having to pay $7.50 auto tips may be just a little too much.

You have to say each to their own......we don't know what their circumstances are.!!!!!!

I agree with you.

Tipping isn't really an aussie thing, unless it is for excellent service.

For me personally, I would rather the auto tipping as I find the idea of face to face tipping embarrassing and a bit confronting. Plus I think the idea of the tips shared out is probably fairer in some ways for those behind the scenes.

But.. I think $10 a day per person and for children over 13 is excessive. If i had children with me, I would not be paying it for them.

It's a long time since my uni days but I still don't have a lot of spare cash, my super funds have fallen tens of thousands so I can't even think of retiring and in fact my cruise in January will be my first trip overseas. And in an inside, bottom cabin at that.

I won't be cutting out tipping altogether but I will be cutting it down.

For me, it is not a heated topic but one where I think people can do their own thing. If some people wish to do it and even add extra, well done, but for anyone else who is scrimping and saving and for whom the full amount would be a hardship-just cut it down or out.

I would much rather reward good service with an on-the-spot cash-in-hand gesture. That's what it comes down to with me - I'm quite happy to tip, and would rather give it to them in person as a genuine appreciation of their service.

Well, that is all very well and good - but how are you going to give your tip to the Engine room Stoker, the deckhand who lets out the anchor, the Communications seamen who monitor the weather for you, etc, etc.

The sooner these Companies pay ALL their staff a decent wage and charge a proper fare for a voyage, the better it will be for everyone. I just don't know why they keep up this charade of "tipping" for personal service - most of the personal service we receive onboad a cruise is given to us by staff we never ever see or meet.

Barry

Well, that is all very well and good - but how are you going to give your tip to the Engine room Stoker, the deckhand who lets out the anchor, the Communications seamen who monitor the weather for you, etc, etc.

The sooner these Companies pay ALL their staff a decent wage and charge a proper fare for a voyage, the better it will be for everyone. I just don't know why they keep up this charade of "tipping" for personal service - most of the personal service we receive onboad a cruise is given to us by staff we never ever see or meet.

Barry

Wasn't this covered previously? Those crewmembers don't receive the autotip anyway (or so I gathered, correct me if I'm wrong).

And just in the same way that I don't tip everyone at a restaurant (waiters, bartenders, clerks, cleaners, chefs, delivery men, etc), I don't believe in tipping for the near thousand crew members that may or may not have some little effect on my cruise. If they're not being paid a decent wage, I'm honestly appalled, they certainly should be for the fine jobs they're doing. However if the autotip never makes it to them anyway, then I fail to see the point.

Barry

Before Chez's post I wasn't sure if laundry and kitchen staff got a slice of the autotips - this might vary a bit overseas. I hope the kitchen staff are rewarded, as the waiters can have a tough time if the food is below par.

Things vary from brand to brand - drink waiters on Princess and RCCL (and others) get their "tips" from the fixed 15% "service charge" that is added to your drink price.

The sailing crew, CD and entertainment staff, pursers & clerical all get a proper wage on most ships around the world - and no autotips. I don't know if a proper wage is a decent one by our standards though.

if you look at where they come they are paid very well and one the ship they dont pay rent they done pay for food if you add that in its not to bad if you think about it what dos it cost you if you rent weel we all have to bye ill probly get in trouble over this but hay just thought i do have a friend that works on these crusies ships from vanatoo lol he is very happy

if you look at where they come they are paid very well and one the ship they dont pay rent they done pay for food if you add that in its not to bad if you think about it what dos it cost you if you rent weel we all have to bye ill probly get in trouble over this but hay just thought i do have a friend that works on these crusies ships from vanatoo lol he is very happy

Having done 1 paid cruise on Pacific Sky, I worked in the kids club, Shark Shack. And yes, the workers definitely seem to get a good deal. I worked ona 9 night cruise and it was good money. I know the waiters don't get as good a pay. But at the same time they don't have to pay rent, bills, food. Just drinks, if they want an alcoholic drink from the crew bar. Which the crew bar drinks are really cheap! And going to the islands. It is definitely a good life!

I definitely think the waiters and room stewards and chefs and everyone that makes our cruises enjoyable, they all deserve the tips. They work so hard. I would leave auto tips on for my next cruise. And pay extra cash to those who worked hard and gave good service. :)

Archived