Invergordon, Edinburgh and Newcastle?

scottb80

My family and I (five adults) are on the Eurodam this coming May, making stops at the above listed ports, and would like some input on things to see and do. We really hate the crowds of shore excursions and prefer to strike out on our own. We do like old castles and history though and would like to see as many castles as possible and Hadrian's Wall in Newcastle. So, can you tell us what you have done in these ports and how you got around?

Edinburgh is full of history but it is always busy in the summer, even when there are no ships around!!

Where are you actually going to be - Leith, South Queensferry or Rosyth? It is fairly easy to get into the centre of Edinburgh from each of these on your own which is much cheaper than HAL's transport will be.

Edinburgh has a castle (in the centre of the city) and a royal palace at the other end of the Royal Mile. The Royal Yacht Britannia (which was used for many years by the royal family) is berthed near Leith. Lots of museums too.

My family and I (five adults) are on the Eurodam this coming May, making stops at the above listed ports, and would like some input on things to see and do. We really hate the crowds of shore excursions and prefer to strike out on our own. We do like old castles and history though and would like to see as many castles as possible and Hadrian's Wall in Newcastle. So, can you tell us what you have done in these ports and how you got around?

You could do a hop on hop off bus tour around Edinburgh - there are various ones - just call in at the tourist info shop next to the station. This will take you to all the main sites worth seeing in edinburgh if you only have a day there.

Here's a link to the tourist board: http://www.edinburgh.org/

You'll have a great time I'm sure.

While on the Rotterdam this summer, our group toured Edinburgh Castle in the morning, walked around the Royal Mile & had lunch & then hopped on the tourist bus to the Royal Yacht Britannia. Took a cab the short ride back to the ship in S. Queesferry.

From Newcastle, we did the ships tour of Alnwick Castle & the adjoining Gardens & enjoyed it very much. I'm sure one could accomplish this on your own pretty easily.

South Queensferry for Edinburgh. Not sure where the ship docks for Invergordon or Newcastle.

Actually, Invergordon is where the ship docks for Inverness, a larger nearby town. We took a Celebrity ship's tour from Invergorodon to the Queen Mother's (RIP) Castle of Mey, which was also a wonderful introduction to the Scottish Highlands.

On the same cruise, we called at South Queensferry, and having been to Edinburgh before, we took a cab to wonderful stately home called Hopetoun House, about 3 miles from where the tender lands at the foot of the railway bridge. As I recall, the cab was £10 to and £7 back, and Hopetoun House has an excellent cafe on premises with imaginative food, not too expensive. Be aware that Edinburgh Castle is really more of a fort, but if the Queen is not in residence, you can go through the Palace of Holyroodhouse, which is a proper royal castle.

BTW, while Dalmeny rail station is quite close to the tender landing, getting there involves about 150 steps uphill, since the station is at the level of the railway bridge, not at ground level. Sharing a cab into Edinburgh and taking a train back from Edinburgh Waverley (you want the Fife Circle line) may be easier on the feet.

The North-east of England is steeped in history but with only a short time ashore I would suggest doing a ships tour in this port as I doubt very much that you will actually dock in Newcastle itself as the main cruise ship dock is at a place called North Shields. Anwick Castle and Gardens are worth a visit though and you will probably recognise the castle from the first Harry Potter film.

I doubt whether Hadrians wall would be do-able on your own as the traffic around Newcastle back to the dock area can get very snarled up most afternoons.

• 2 weeks later...

There are hop-on/hop-off busses in Edinburgh. Even if you didn't get off taking one around the city would give you a good overview. Then if I were only in the city for a day I would go up to the castle and afterwards walk down the Royal Mile.

There is shopping along Princes Street near Waverly Station if shopping is your thing.

Edinburgh is wonderful. I've been there three times but only for an overnight. I'm excited to be going for three nights which will include two full days next June.

Hi,

For Newcastle you should be able to catch the metro from North Shields into Newcastle town centre. If it was me I would:

* Head straight to St James park to do a pre booked tour of the grounds - helps to be a football fan :) www.nufc.co.uk

* Walk the couple of blocks back to the centre of town to the Monument and admire the beautiful buildings - notice the town wall running down behind Stowell street (China Town) along the way.

* Head down Grey Street - one of the great streets of England - until you reach the Quayside under the Tyne bridge - I love this spot as beautiful buildings with graceful curves hide under one of the greatest series of bridges in the world. Don't miss the Cooperage pub (building approx 600 years old). Remember to look up as you walk around as there are lots of hidden suprises.

* Explore some of the awesome concealed steps around the area that bring you back up to places like the "new" Castle (built on top of the old one) that Newcastle was named after.

* After peeking in the Castle head across the road to the Bridge hotel for a pint of ale with views of the Tyne.

* I would then walk a few minutes around the corner into Newcastle's Central Station (pop into the station pub to admire the ceiling) and then catch a mainline train 20 minutes down the road to Durham Cathedral and admire one of the great cathedrals of the world - I'm a bit biased as I proposed to my wife there :)

* You could also pop into the old Grainger markets which have a very distinct English feel to them.

* I also love pink lane....don't know why but this diagonal heading cobbled lane made me feel good every time I walked down it.

* Another must do is to talk to the locals. They are very friendly and it's great fun trying to work out what some of the broader accented working class blokes are saying to you. Pop into the Bodega pub on Westgate Road and sit at the tables and chat to the locals.

It is a compact city that makes for a great day of wandering the streets.

Even though the county of Northumberland (roughly between Newcastle and the Scottish border) is choc full of castles I would like to suggest an alternative that I really enjoyed - Cragside.

It was/is the country house of the Armstrong family. Lord Armstrong was an industrialist who had a huge influence on Newcastle and the north east of England. To give you an idea of his wealth his beach house was Bamburgh Castle :)

His Cragside estate is full of world firsts and interesting features set in awesome grounds.

I highly recommend it to the inquisitive person. IMHO, a lot more interesting than a castle!!!

Actually, Invergordon is where the ship docks for Inverness, a larger nearby town. We took a Celebrity ship's tour from Invergorodon to the Queen Mother's (RIP) Castle of Mey, which was also a wonderful introduction to the Scottish Highlands.

On the same cruise, we called at South Queensferry, and having been to Edinburgh before, we took a cab to wonderful stately home called Hopetoun House, about 3 miles from where the tender lands at the foot of the railway bridge. As I recall, the cab was £10 to and £7 back, and Hopetoun House has an excellent cafe on premises with imaginative food, not too expensive. Be aware that Edinburgh Castle is really more of a fort, but if the Queen is not in residence, you can go through the Palace of Holyroodhouse, which is a proper royal castle.

BTW, while Dalmeny rail station is quite close to the tender landing, getting there involves about 150 steps uphill, since the station is at the level of the railway bridge, not at ground level. Sharing a cab into Edinburgh and taking a train back from Edinburgh Waverley (you want the Fife Circle line) may be easier on the feet.

We also went to Hopetoun House and nearly had the whole place to ourselves! The cafe was really quite special and there are fantastic views from the roof of the house. Everyone was very friendly and delighted we managed to find them.

South Queensferry is also a nice place to pass some time (been to Edinburgh several times so wanted something different). There's a tiny museum which is worth a look-in and some antique shops, pubs etc. There is a company that offer tours to a nearby island bird sanctuary, but weren't running on the day we were there as their boat was being used as a tender (we were on Grand Princess).

• 1 month later...

I agree about excursions- they are too structured. I was in Invergordon and did do an excursion to Loch Ness. On the way back we breezed through Inverness, which is just lovely. I'd just go there next time.

In Edinburgh, you can go by taxi round trip for 10 pounds a person. They have vans right at the pier. It is about a 10-15 minute drive into Edinburgh. We walked up to the Edinburgh Castle and spent much of the day there. We had lunch in the castle, which was quite good.

Then we went to the park below the castle and fortunate to see their parade (I don't know what it was commemorating) but it was quite a festive day. We really enjoyed this.

I haven't been to New Castle so can't comment.

We docked in Leith last august & also had a ships excursion to the Tattoo. You are right next to Britannia just walk round the corner. Visit was well worth it, takes about 1.5hrs with the audio self guided tour. Look out for the whalebone in dining room collected at Deception Island in 1957 (I was there!). A quck bite of early lunch back on ship & we caught the hop on hop off bus from the dock to the station where you have a choice of 4 different open top bus routes with guide (ours was very good). All day pass for all the routes i/c from dock was around 8-10 pounds per person I think (purchased at first bus by dock). we only did one route round the city, then had a short walk round watching the festival street entertainment before getting bus back to ship in time for ev meal & Tattoo excursion. A great day but be warned, you have never in your life sat in such small seat as you get at the Tattoo, make sure you make a comfort visit before you sit down & heaven help you if you are even slightly larger than 5foot tall & over 112 pounds weight!

Invergordon we were the first ship in 2008

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7367254.stm

The local bus company laid on extra buses to Inverness, I did not see this advertised anywhere. the trains were not that regular.

http://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/bus.htm has some details.

they also do shore excurtions but not used them.

There are a lot of murals in the town worth looking for.

http://www.invergordonoffthewall.co.uk/invergordon-murals-g.asp

For the more adventurous hire car is an option. You can get to the west coast and back in a day but not a lot of time for stops.

Kens garage are the only option I have found with a port side service(used in 2007)

http://www.kensgarage.co.uk/

The Invergorden tourist office people(http://www.visitinvergordon.com/) have tested a DIY trip to lock ness using public transport.

http://www.spanglefish.com/ITA/documents/Loch%20Ness%20info%20sheet.pdf

We docked in Leith last august & also had a ships excursion to the Tattoo. You are right next to Britannia just walk round the corner. Visit was well worth it, takes about 1.5hrs with the audio self guided tour. Look out for the whalebone in dining room collected at Deception Island in 1957 (I was there!). A quck bite of early lunch back on ship & we caught the hop on hop off bus from the dock to the station where you have a choice of 4 different open top bus routes with guide (ours was very good). All day pass for all the routes i/c from dock was around 8-10 pounds per person I think (purchased at first bus by dock). we only did one route round the city, then had a short walk round watching the festival street entertainment before getting bus back to ship in time for ev meal & Tattoo excursion. A great day but be warned, you have never in your life sat in such small seat as you get at the Tattoo, make sure you make a comfort visit before you sit down & heaven help you if you are even slightly larger than 5foot tall & over 112 pounds weight!

Thanks. :)

I am over 5 feet and I am afraid I'm over 112 lbs. DH is 6 feet tall, but slim. Guess I'll have to prepare him to not be very comfortable! :eek:

Couple of answers from someone who for many years lived in Edinburgh and who goes back regularly. Book nothing if you're there in August. The festival is on and you just need to get the train / taxi into Edinburgh and soak in the atmosphere. Such an historic town and there will be something to see wherever you turn. It may be busy but it is AMAZING and it's a compact city!!! From Waverley station you can reach Georgian New Town, Scott Monument, Calton Hill, the Castle and Gardens, Princes Street fro shops (don't miss 'Jenners') and the Royal Mile in 5 minutes (in different directions). Leith is just an area of Edinburgh- probably no more than couple of miles from city centre- but beware! There are lots of roadworks in Edinburgh at present as they are building tram-lines so would recommend walking / train from Dalmeny as best means of transport.

Archived