Cabin Grades

asus

Can someone tell me the difference between a 1A cabin and a 2A cabin, the price difference is quite substantial on todays website although the size and inclusions appear the same ?

We are cruising on the Quest 28 Feb and have checked in and received a Boarding Pass but still have not paid the final payment.

You are correct Susan-M - the difference is in the location, both the deck and the location on the deck. Both class of cabins are the same in amenities, size etc. The cabins at the very forward and aft of a deck have more vibration (and possibly anchor noise if you are to the front) but many people have posted that it is not a problem at all. The next category up was Sunset Verandah which is the same cabin size but a larger (i.e. deeper not wider) balcony area. These are front and rear of ship only.

I am surprised the OP was able to do online check and and get boarding passes without paying the cruise in full.

Can someone tell me the difference between a 1A cabin and a 2A cabin, the price difference is quite substantial on todays website although the size and inclusions appear the same ?

There is no difference in any cabin size on the ship upto cat 1A.

We stayed in 7105 it was fine, the size of the ship means there are no real issues regarding location, one concern from some was the noise from the laundry room on deck 7 that affected some 1A cabins in that area.

The Quest is a great ship.

Something to be aware of: Cabins 6086 and 6089 have partially obstructed balconies. The metal framing at the aft of the ship angles across the front of the balcony, so there is only half as much railing and open front as on other balconies (the floor space of the balcony is the same, it's the view out that's compromised.) I can only comment on Deck 6 for sure, but it looks as though decks 7 & 8 have this problem with the last balcony cabin on each side too.

Lisa

I too am wondering how you managed to print a boarding pass without paying your final payment. We are on that very same sailing and I have tried but it says that Xpress passes are not available.

Jennie

I filled out the online checkin and at the end the Express pass was printed out. This happened on 23/11/08 My final payment is not due until 16 Dec when I hope that the Aussie dollar will have improved from todays quote.

Ron

• 4 months later...

The laundry is open from 8am to 8pm I think and there have been some as to some noise but having never stayed in this location I cannot say for certain.

We have stayed twice on deck 7 in 2a (7105-7110) cabins near the rear and found the location to be good. Is the $200 saving PP if so for $400 I would go for a guarantee, check which Balcony cabins are available that may give you an insight as to what is available.

Have a great time, the ships are really nice

hello,

been following the boards for a bit now and have a question regarding

cabin 6089. We were assigned this cabin for our april 25th cruise on Journey.

We took the "balcony guarantee", got a decent price but of course now

we hear it has an obstructed view. How much of the railing is covered

by the obstruction? I was totally unaware that there were obstructed view balcony cabins....

thanks for the info...

We stayed in 7105 it was fine, the size of the ship means there are no real issues regarding location, one concern from some was the noise from the laundry room on deck 7 that affected some 1A cabins in that area.

Does anyone know if Cat. 1A Cabin 7080 on Journey will be affected by laundry room noise? (I understand the laundry is across Cabin 7076.)

DECK PLAN

http://res.*****.com/travel/cruise/shipdeck.rvlx?ShipID=324&DeckID=20453&printable=1

Would you switch to a Veranda Guarantee and save $100 PP with the possibility of getting downgraded to a Cat. 1B cabin...or possibly get the dreaded 7076 which is directly across the laundry?

If I do switch, how likely would it be getting upgraded to a Sunset Veranda or even a Suite? :D

Trudy

Just looking at the deck plans, I can't see why 6089 would be obstructed.

The obstruction is on the top cornerslope of the balcony...and the window washing equipment will block the view if you hang over the railing looking aft

JMO

Not really obstructed ;)

You can see in the photo that the structure slopes

DSC01069.jpg.fcf96a59c3df426c14989ee4d331c41e.jpg

Just looking at the deck plans, I can't see why 6089 would be obstructed.

Here are a couple of pics I found. Cabin 6089 is the last side cabin furthest aft. As on Deck 7 and 8, notice the slight obstruction looking outward by the angled wall. Balcony size remains the same though.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The laundry is open from 8am to 8pm I think and there have been some as to some noise but having never stayed in this location I cannot say for certain.

We have stayed twice on deck 7 in 2a (7105-7110) cabins near the rear and found the location to be good. Is the $200 saving PP if so for $400 I would go for a guarantee, check which Balcony cabins are available that may give you an insight as to what is available.

Have a great time, the ships are really nice

The savings is $100 PP...$200 total. The only rooms I really do NOT want are ones with a connecting door, 7076 (directly across laundry), and the last side aft cabins.

Should I take the gamble with the Veranda Guarantee and give up 7080... and hope they give me a suite! :p

Trudy

We took the gamble a couple of months ago for our cruise on the Quest in late February. We gave up our cabin on Deck 7 to save $1400 so it really wasn't a gamble as we were saving a huge amount of money.

We were given 6024 which has a connecting door. When we were first given that cabin I was disappointed as I would have loved an upgrade but I soon got over that.

It is a gamble but we were happy in our cabin even though it had a connecting door. We did not hear our neighbours at all, it was extremely quiet. The only downside is that there is not a 2 seater couch in the room. Instead it has a very comfortable chair. We asked our steward to bring in another chair and we were fine.

We certainly didn't regret changing cabins, though if I were only saving $200, I would think twice.

Jennie

We took the gamble a couple of months ago for our cruise on the Quest in late February. We gave up our cabin on Deck 7 to save $1400 so it really wasn't a gamble as we were saving a huge amount of money.

We were given 6024 which has a connecting door. When we were first given that cabin I was disappointed as I would have loved an upgrade but I soon got over that.

It is a gamble but we were happy in our cabin even though it had a connecting door. We did not hear our neighbours at all, it was extremely quiet. The only downside is that there is not a 2 seater couch in the room. Instead it has a very comfortable chair. We asked our steward to bring in another chair and we were fine.

We certainly didn't regret changing cabins, though if I were only saving $200, I would think twice.

Jennie

Hi Jennie...thanks for your input. We originally booked a 2B then the price dropped for a guarantee saving us $1200. Was a no brainer to switch and actually got upgraded to a 1A...(with an adjoining door, but our TA was able to switch us to Cabin 7080 w/o one). This current $200 drop isn't compelling enough for us to be thrown back into the guarantee pool but when I read the above post about certain 1A's on deck 7 near the laundry room being noisy, we started to reconsider. I think we'll be fine with our location though...and if nothing else, it will be very convenient as I plan to only pack a weeks worth of clothes for an 18 day vacation! :p

Trudy

Trudy,

On the Quest there was a big notice attached to the laundry door which said to keep the door closed at all times.

We all took notice of this and there was no sound at all out in the passage. Also you are two doors further down the passage towards the aft staircase so you will not hear anything once inside the cabin. They are extremely soundproof. The cabin is in a great position. You are lucky.

Jennie

The Quest is a great ship.

Hi Aussie Gal. We are booked in cabin 7075, and note from someone else's post that they were in 7076 opposite the laundrette. However I can find nothing on any site or in the brocuhres which shows the exact location of the laundrettes. Could you let me know if these are in the centre by the interior cabins, as there is little else I can see from the deck plan, except the elevators. Incidentally I had mentioned in an earlier post that I wuld be interested in sharing transport from Athens airpport to the city, and I have now reserved with JLS Taxis who corresponded in good English, charge €39 one way and say they will carry luggage from airport hall to taxi for us. This is the least I have found. They also have agreed a rate of €25 from our central hotel to Pireaus, which is very close of course, but it will be on a National Holiday so higher rates will abound. Anyway we are happy to pay this in the circumstances as it equates to about £48 - £50 for both trips, and we don't want to arrive and have to haggle. The airport shuttle cost more incidentally. Their site is http://www.giannis@jlstaxi.com. Hope this helps some of you.

Hi Aussie Gal. We are booked in cabin 7075, and note from someone else's post that they were in 7076 opposite the laundrette. However I can find nothing on any site or in the brocuhres which shows the exact location of the laundrettes. .

On the deck plan there is a white area between the inside cabin 7068 & 7071 & the elevators that is the laundry room area across from 7076 & 7078

Trouvailles,

The laundry is in the inside and it is between 7076 and 7079 on the other starboard side. The door is on the Port side directly opposite 7076.

Here is a link to the Tahitian Princess which shows you exactly where the laundry is situated. Deck 7 on both the Quest, Journey and the Tahitian are the same.

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/ta/deck_plans/index.html

Hope this helps.

When we were in Athens last year, our taxi from Pireaus to our hotel right in the heart of Athens only cost us 30Euro. We were staying at the King George Palace which was right next door to the Grande Bretagne. We had a wonderful driver, just lucky, who spoke great English and had relatives living in Melbourne. Of course most Greeks do have relations who live here as we are the third largest Greek city in the World!

Jennie

On the deck plan there is a white area between the inside cabin 7068 & 7071 & the elevators that is the laundry room area across from 7076 & 7078

Thanks LHT28, that's useful. I imagine there won't be too much noise as I estimate that if the cabins are about 10 feet wide, we should be about 25 feet away, and the laundrette door may be on the other side anyway. Wouldn't have wanted to pay so much for a midship cabin with noise problems, but not too good a sailor so location important.

Thanks LHT28, that's useful. I imagine there won't be too much noise as I estimate that if the cabins are about 10 feet wide, we should be about 25 feet away, and the laundrette door may be on the other side anyway. Wouldn't have wanted to pay so much for a midship cabin with noise problems, but not too good a sailor so location important.

The door is on the other corridor & people have reported once you are in your cabin you do not hear any noise from the laundry room

Hi Aussie Gal. That's very evident on the Tahitian plan (that's a good site actually isn't it?). So probably will be ok. Note your remarks about air transfer and you seem to have got a good deal. This year in Europe with the credit crunch everything has gone up so much it might be that this is reflected in the €39, but compared with the cost of taxis in our small island it is quite good. We pay £10 from our house to the local airport which is only just over a mile distant, but unwalkable and no other transport goes that way, which equates to about €12 + at the present exchange. Interesting about the numbers of Greeks in Oz. Didn't know that. Why do you think?

Archived