Q1 2009 Fuel Surcharge Refund Watch Thread

hawt1

You would be right on the money but....RCI literally is not in control of their own fate..that is up to the Oil speculators, OPEC and Congress.

If Congress votes to ban offshore drilling again (which they are threatening to do), then oil will spike and RCI would be right back in the same situation they were in when this whole thing started.

If OPEC cuts of supply, same scenario.

The speculators are always a wild card.....

[quote name='TEXASMUNK']You would be right on the money but....RCI literally is not in control of their own fate..that is up to the Oil speculators, OPEC and Congress.

If Congress votes to ban offshore drilling again (which they are threatening to do), then oil will spike and RCI would be right back in the same situation they were in when this whole thing started.

If OPEC cuts of supply, same scenario.

The speculators are always a wild card.....[/quote]

So, dropping the surcharge for people after Nov 11 is [B]only[/B] to get future customers to book.

Funny, as soon as I heard they were dropping the surcharge for new bookings, the total cost of our cruise went up by $200 each. So they are getting the $ no matter what.

I am not mad to the point of canceling our cruise....absolutely no way. I love RCL. it's just disappointing that they seem to affect the people who book early, the most.

Since my cruise isn't for 437 days, there is still a lot of time for it to change a few more times.

Thanks for your reply! :)

[quote name='aloha43']
Why don't they just drop the charges for all of us who had already booked before that date?

It reminds me of when they implemented the fuel surcharge to begin with. Everyone was in an uproar because they charged the ones who had already booked. Now, the ones who have already booked are being messed with again.

[/quote]

I think what they are doing is extremely fair to everybody; if oil stays down people get their fuel surcharge refunded in the form of an OBC. If oil spikes back up RCL protects themself by keeping the fuel surcharge in tact. It is night and day from the previous issue where they instituted a fuel surcharge after people already had a deposit down for a cruise (as it was a new fee tacked on when their policy was that a deposit locks in a price aside from tax and/or port fee changes that are out of their control).

[quote name='Gonzo70']I think what they are doing is extremely fair to everybody; if oil stays down people get their fuel surcharge refunded in the form of an OBC. If oil spikes back up RCL protects themself by keeping the fuel surcharge in tact. It is night and day from the previous issue where they instituted a fuel surcharge after people already had a deposit down for a cruise (as it was a new fee tacked on when their policy was that a deposit locks in a price aside from tax and/or port fee changes that are out of their control).[/quote]

My only concern was that they said there will be [B]NO[/B] fuel surcharge for bookings made on or after Nov 11, 2008.

Why not just say [U]"All bookings are subject to the fuel surcharge"[/U] no matter when it is/was booked? It seems like it would be easier and and less stressful if it applied to all reservations. I mean....use that quarterly scale for [B]all[/B] bookings, no matter when the reservation is/was made.

That sounds like it would make more sense...to me. Then everyone would be in the same boat. :D

[quote name='AnotherCruisingKid']8.75 is correct for DOD on Ex but that is before tip and also tax if it applies. On sale away in Dizzy's on Ex they got more than $20 for 2 daiquiris. Which shocked me greatly as it wasnt even DOD.[/quote]

Oh I understand that I'm just saying at home I paid $7.95 for a Pina Colada, plus tax and tip equals to [B]just about[/B] what I would pay onboard. I expect to pay more onboard, just like I know going to a baseball game or amusement park the prices are higher. $6.00 for a hotdog at my local amusement park is crazy, but its the only food available so I pay it.

[quote name='laprofesora']Thank you Sherri. This would be a tremendous refund for this as we are doing the forty six day cruise. I wonder if it will be given in on board credit or credit to our credit card.[/QUOTE] I'd think it would show up on your onboard account like the onboard booking certificate or stockowner credits do. These show up around the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise. I keep checking until I see these credits on the account. It is kind of fund to have a negative balance for a few days.

I booked in late November and sail in 2009. The way I read the fuel surcharge statement, I'm out of luck. Yes? No?

[COLOR=darkred]Our fuel supplement will no longer apply to new Royal Caribbean International bookings made on or after November 10, 2008, anywhere in the world, [COLOR=darkslateblue]for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010[/COLOR].

This decision takes into consideration the recent reductions in global fuel prices. We have also established specific guidelines that will determine whether fuel supplement refunds will be provided for sailings that begin in 2009 and later, which were booked prior to November 10, 2008, if fuel prices remain below a specific price threshold.

[COLOR=darkslateblue]For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008[/COLOR], we will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less, at the closing time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that begin during the upcoming calendar quarter.[/COLOR]

[quote name='aloha43']So, tell me if I have this right......

My trip is Feb 14, 2010, so I will find out mid December 09?

Thanks for your help!:D[/quote]

Yes, if you booked before Nov 10, 2008. :) If you booked after Nov 10, 2008 for a 2010 sailing you have no fuel surcharge.

We have several we're waiting to see about. It's going to be a long wait.:(

[quote name='rednancy1']Yes, if you booked before Nov 10, 2008. :) If you booked after Nov 10, 2008 for a 2010 sailing you have no fuel surcharge.

We have several we're waiting to see about. It's going to be a long wait.:([/quote]

For you and me both! Total count for my trip from the day I booked was over 600 days. It has been h*ll for me. Way too long to wait!

Thanks for the help.:)

[quote name='lindakirk']I booked in late November and sail in 2009. The way I read the fuel surcharge statement, I'm out of luck. Yes? No?

[COLOR=darkred]Our fuel supplement will no longer apply to new Royal Caribbean International bookings made on or after November 10, 2008, anywhere in the world, [COLOR=darkslateblue]for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010[/COLOR].

This decision takes into consideration the recent reductions in global fuel prices. We have also established specific guidelines that will determine whether fuel supplement refunds will be provided for sailings that begin in 2009 and later, which were booked prior to November 10, 2008, if fuel prices remain below a specific price threshold.

[COLOR=darkslateblue]For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008[/COLOR], we will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less, at the closing time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that begin during the upcoming calendar quarter.[/COLOR][/quote]

I never thought about it, but if you take the wording literally, you are correct that you are out of luck. I wonder though if it is really that way. If that is correct, that would be very unfair and open them to complaints to the attorney general again.

I'm wondering if there is a data typo somewhere.

Unfortunately, you can't really call RCCL and ask since you will get a different answer every time you call.

I'm a College Student that graduates in two weeks!! woohoo. I'm thinking of going on my 5th cruise as a treat before going out in to the real world. Having no surcharge would be real nice... I'm waiting around to see if I can get a deal on a cruise though..

LATEST UPDATE

Days until price check: 15

If oil closes on December 18th below $65.00 per barrel, Q1 2009 passengers get an OBC for their fuel surcharge.

Price of oil at last closing on December 2nd: $46.79

TREND
December 3rd - $46.79
December 2nd - $46.96
December 1st - $49.28
November 28th - $54.43
November 27th - No Trading

Difference between last closing price and target: $18.21

Required increase per day to NOT get refund: $1.213

Oil has opened this morning below $46 so we continue to be in good shape for Q1 refund.

[quote name='TEXASMUNK']YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.

Now I gotta ask..your screen name have anything to do with a Carroll Shelby vehicle? I ask because that is my toy.[/quote]

That's a Ford, right?:rolleyes:

But the answer is no, my Shelby name belongs to my toy, a Yorkshire Terrier.

Cathy

[quote name='TEXASMUNK']YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.

Now I gotta ask..your screen name have anything to do with a Carroll Shelby vehicle? I ask because that is my toy.[/quote]

A friend of ours has three Shelbys. I don't know anything about them except that they are his toys too. :cool:

Oil today is at $45.46, down again.

"Analysts"...people who are right 50% of the time...predict oil below $40.00 by January 1, 2009

Our Shelby is an 07 GT500 ....and it has its own two car garage and no one is allowed to drive it but Suzan and me!!!!

What about those that booked after the 10th November 2008. The refund ( OBC ) doesn't appear to cover us!!! I have read it several times and it appears not to, what do you think?

Fuel Supplement Information
October 24, 2008, Update

Our fuel supplement will no longer apply to new Royal Caribbean International bookings made on or after November 10, 2008, anywhere in the world, for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010.

For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, we will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less, at the closing time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that begin during the upcoming calendar quarter.

The dates on which the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel will be measured, and the quarters during which refunds could apply are:

Fuel Price Determination Date Quarter of Possible Fuel Supplement Refunds
December 18, 2008 First quarter 2009
March 18, 2009 Second quarter 2009
June 17, 2009 Third quarter 2009
September 17, 2009 Fourth quarter 2009
December 18, 2009 First quarter 2010
March 18, 2010 Second quarter 2010
June 17, 2010 Third quarter 2010
September 17, 2010 Fourth quarter 2010

Kimberley

[quote name='TEXASMUNK']Oil today is at $45.46, down again.

"Analysts"...people who are right 50% of the time...predict oil below $40.00 by January 1, 2009

Our Shelby is an 07 GT500 ....and it has its own two car garage and no one is allowed to drive it but Suzan and me!!!![/QUOTE]

The problem is that the other 50% are predicting it to be at $65.01 on December 18th!

But we are now at $44.00 and likely oversold at that so watch for, but don't be fearful of, a bounce back up next week.

[quote name='suzyluvs2cruise']Carnival Corporation has suspended the fuel supplement for all their North American Brands. Let's hope Royal Caribbean does the same............and soon.

[CENTER][LEFT][URL]http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/AboutUs/FuelSupplementUpdate.aspx[/URL][/CENTER][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

I would expect RCI to follow suit within a day or two and this thread to be unnecessary.

WOOHOO if that happens.

Archived