Purchasing liquor on board for in room use

maxxboy

I was looking at our cruise documents, and in the "Know before you go" booklet it says any liquor purchased from the on board gift shops will be held until the end of the cruise. I have read here passengers have purchased bottles from the bars for in room use, so what exactly is the policy? Can you purchase a bottle from a bar tender and take it to your room, but if you purchase from the gift shop you can't? I know I can pre-order by calling ships services, but there is one brand we need that isn't offered (Makers Mark), so we were going to get a bottle of that from one of the bars once we got on board. Now I'm not sure what is the exact policy. Anyone here that can share their recent experiences (Eurodam in particular)?

Thanks!

Can you purchase a bottle from a bar tender and take it to your room, but if you purchase from the gift shop you can't?

That's it exactly. Liquor purchased at the shop is for taking home. A bottle purchased at a bar, or room service, is for comsumption on board.

I would expect the price in the shop to be lower.

I was looking at our cruise documents, and in the "Know before you go" booklet it says any liquor purchased from the on board gift shops will be held until the end of the cruise. I have read here passengers have purchased bottles from the bars for in room use, so what exactly is the policy? Can you purchase a bottle from a bar tender and take it to your room, but if you purchase from the gift shop you can't? I know I can pre-order by calling ships services, but there is one brand we need that isn't offered (Makers Mark), so we were going to get a bottle of that from one of the bars once we got on board. Now I'm not sure what is the exact policy. Anyone here that can share their recent experiences (Eurodam in particular)?

Thanks!

I was on the Eurodam and purchased liquor for my room through ship services.... they offered what I wanted. :) When I spoke with the HAL rep to order the liquor, she told me I could also order bottles from room service after I boarded. Maybe room service has a larger selection than the "in your room when you arrive" option? Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of buying bottles from a bar, but I've heard that you can do it.

Enjoy your cruise on the beautiful Eurodam!

Diane

Thanks!

i was on the Volendam for 44 days.. preordered the scotch and soda package and got teachers scotch..next time was dewars, so called room service and asked for Johnnie walker black and he told me several times only dewars..

called the front desk and talked to Mia./ not sure about spelling, but she is a great customer service for HAL..never any problems, she said she would call food and beverage mgr and get back,,

she calls and says I can get you the Johnnie Walker Black and the cost was higher..I told her no problem and in 30 minutes or so I had Johnnie on the bar.. I found HAL to be exceptional in customer service. any problems were handled in a timely manner and none of the line, "sorry sir that's our policy or thats all we can do garbage" they were great.

It may have been a fluke, but I purchased liquor in the duty free and the nice clerk wrapped it discreetly and sent me on my way with it. This was on the second day of a 7 day and I was totally expecting it to be held 'til the last night. . . . Now that I think about it, maybe he was sweet on me!!! :eek:

It may have been a fluke, but I purchased liquor in the duty free and the nice clerk wrapped it discreetly and sent me on my way with it. This was on the second day of a 7 day and I was totally expecting it to be held 'til the last night. . . . Now that I think about it, maybe he was sweet on me!!! :eek:

LOL, that's it! It's your rugged good looks and he was sweet on you! :D

Thanks!

I, too, love my Makers Mark and am disappointed it isn't offered on board.

My TA sent me a list of in-room alcoholic beverages that are available for purchase on Eurodam in case anybody is interested.

I'm a bit surprised at the difference between particular brands that would, at least here in Dallas, normally be about the same price (Jim Beam $34.50 versus Jack Daniels for $55.20, for example!).

Wine and/or Champagne

Guests are permitted to bring onboard wine and/or champagne purchased in a shoreside location. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the guest’s portfolio. Guests are also permitted to consume the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of their stateroom; it may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption. There is no limit.

Please see below list of liquors. These can be pre-purchase and placed in the stateroom on the day of sailing.

We do not offer unlimited drink cards, please see below list:

• Soda Fountain Card / 20 sodas - $20.70
  • Explorations Café Card / 10 specialty coffees - $29.90
  • House Pouring Wine Card / 10 glasses - $41.40
  • House Pouring Wine Card / 20 glasses - $77.63
  • Signature Cocktail Card / 10 signature cocktails - $64.69

Please call if you have any questions.

Thank you & Kind Regards,

Ship Services

Phone: 800-541-1576

Scotch/Whiskey

Gift Order Price

(includes 15% service charge)

Seagrams 7

$ 29.90

Seagrams VO

$ 29.90

Cutty Sark

$ 32.20

Canadian Club

$ 32.20

Jim Beam

$ 34.50

Johnnie Walker Red

$ 36.80

J&B Rare

$ 36.80

Ballentine's

$ 40.25

Crown Royal

$ 42.55

Jameson Irish

$ 42.55

Dewars

$ 48.30

Jack Daniels

$ 55.20

Chivas Regal 12 yrs

$ 66.70

Johnnie Walker Black

$ 77.05

Cognac

Hennessy VS

$ 93.15

Remy Martin VSOP

$ 97.75

Remy Martin XO

$ 225.40

Gin

Beefeater

$ 32.20

Tanqueray

$ 41.40

Bombay Sapphire

$ 42.55

Liqueurs

Southern Comfort

$ 36.80

Kahlua

$ 36.80

Bailey's Irish Cream

$ 46.00

Sambuca - Opal Nera

$ 47.15

Tia Maria

$ 49.45

Amaretto

$ 51.75

Cointreau

$ 55.20

Drambuie

$ 58.65

Grand Marnier

$ 74.75

Vodka

Smirnoff

$ 27.60

Skyy Vodka

$ 28.75

Finlandia

$ 29.90

Stolichnaya

$ 29.90

Absolut

$ 32.20

Absolut Citron

$ 32.20

Tanqueray Sterling

$ 35.65

Grey Goose

$ 69.00

Chopin

$ 70.15

Belvedere

$ 70.15

Rum

Myers

$ 32.20

Bacardi Gold

$ 34.50

Bacardi White

$ 35.65

Sherry

Sherry Harvey's Medium

$ 57.50

Tio Pepe

$ 57.50

Tequila

Jose Cuervo Gold

$ 34.50

Beverage Package

Gin & Tonic Package

$36.80

(One btl Beefeaters Gin, 3 Cans of Tonic Water)

Scotch & Soda Package

$36.80

(One btl of Cutty Sark, 3 Cans of Soda Water)

Vodka & Tonic Package

$34.50

(One btl of Smirnoff or Stolichnaya, 3 Cans of Tonic Water)

Bourbon & Coke Package

$39.10

(One btl of Jim Beam, 3 Cans of Coke)

Rum & Coke Package

$39.10

(One btl of Bacardi, 3 cans of Coke)

In Cabin Beer/Soft Drinks Packages

6 x Domestic Beers

$21.85

(Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Lite)

6 x Imported Beers

$23.00

(Heineken, Amstel Light or Corona)

Glad I do not have to purchase my Jack Daniel's in Texas or the Ship for $55.00. Just paid $30.00 here in Orange County, CA. Same at the Grocery stores of the Warehouses.

LOL, no, Jack Daniels is about $30 here in Texas, too. That $55 is just the HAL Eurodam price. I was simply stating that it was odd that two liquors that are very similarly priced here at home (Jack and Jim) are so disparately priced on the ship. And while liquor prices are similar in TX and CA (I lived in San Diego not so long ago) I do miss being able to buy liquor at the grocery stores and, most of all, Costco!

Here in our beloved South (Alabama), Johnny Walker red is around $53.00 a liter at the ABC store. We have those heavenly SIN taxes to balance out the low property tax. The prices on board aren't crazy but are a little higher than even we normally pay. Still, it's worth it to have drinks in room or on the balcony!! We are on vacation! BTW, the soda comes in bottles, so if you like live soda, buy that in small bottles or cans at the embarkation port and carry it on! DH does not touch soda after it's been opened 30 minutes so this a must for us.

Archived