formal night question

I will be leaving on NOS next Sat, this will be my first cruise. Someone at my job, who has cruised before is telling me that for formal night few of the people actually wear suits & tuxes / long dresses for the women. I was planning on wearing long dresses (like what you would wear to a wedding) and suits for my hubby. Would we bee overdressed????

thanks

You will not be overdressed.

At minimum formal would be a dark suit and tie for men, and gown or suitable evening wear for women.

Take the high road and go formal.

Personally I'd rather feel overdressed than underdressed on formal night. I was always brought up to take cues from the host/ess on what to wear. That night the crew will all be formal. icon_smile.gif

Anne

Untrue. On formal nights most people still dress up. You will not be overdressed at all. What you find is that many people dress up for dinner and then change back to casual clothes right afterwards before they go to the theatre to see the show.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

Hi Gisi!

Don't listen to these people...I have cruised 3 times and I am going again (to Alaska) next year.

I am also a certified travel agent. Formal Night is a thing from days-gone-by. While there are people that still dress up to the nines, a lot of people just go casually. My man never even brings a tie.

If you would like to go big one night, do that. Otherwise, don't make yourself rushed and uncomfortable for both nights...it isn't worth it.

I also don't recommend jeans or anythink that casual but be comforatable.

You will thank me and the GENIUS you work with.

gisi,

The MAJORITY of the people in the dining room will be dressed formally. I do not know what line the previos poster sails but formal nights are definitely still just that FORMAL!!

Cindy icon_cool.gif

I agree, you should wear what you think is appropriate but most people do dress up. Also, some people do change after dinner for the show but most people stay dressed. That's also up to you.

Formal is the way to go for Royal Caribbean, I just looked at pictures of a friend from VOS from December, all men had on dark suits and ties or tux, ladies-long dresses, even gowns and glittery dresses, I haven't cruised yet, but I plan on going formal, they told me the Captain's dinner is the most formal and the next formal is still pretty formal, on smart casual, she wore pantsuits and he had on sportscoat but no tie,

hope this helps

I have sailed several different line and again I am a certified travel agent. Since I am in the same office as Gisi and she is a dear friend of mine, I will bring her all of my pictures from all of my cruises in to work tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raerae:

gisi,

The MAJORITY of the people in the dining room will be dressed formally. I do not know what line the previos poster sails but formal nights are definitely still just that FORMAL!!

Cindy icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Seago:

I have sailed several different line and again I am a certified travel agent. Since I am in the same office as Gisi and she is a dear friend of mine, I will bring her all of my pictures from all of my cruises in to work tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raerae:

gisi,

Cindy icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unbelieveable, you work with her and you lack the credibility to convince her. Enough said for me! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif 3 whole cruises, wow... I am really wanting to use you for my next TA! icon_rolleyes.gif

The percentages obviously vary from ship to ship from line to line and even week to week, but I would bet that at least 60 to 75% of men on RCI will wear a sport coat, suit or tuxedo on formal night at a minimum. It is formal night, and the cruiselines suggest formal attire. So if you don't mind being underdressed follow your non credible co-workers recommendations. If you would prefer to show that you are a respectful adult, I would suggest that following the suggested dress code is one step on that path.

Gisi, have a nice cruise.

jc

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

T.Seago quote:

----------------------------------------------

Hi Gisi!

Don't listen to these people...I have cruised 3 times and I am going again (to Alaska) next year.

I am also a certified travel agent. Formal Night is a thing from days-gone-by. While there are people that still dress up to the nines, a lot of people just go casually. My man never even brings a tie.

If you would like to go big one night, do that. Otherwise, don't make yourself rushed and uncomfortable for both nights...it isn't worth it.

I also don't recommend jeans or anythink that casual but be comforatable.

You will thank me and the GENIUS you work with.

-----------------------------------------------

It is this type of attitude that is bringing cruising into slum ville attire for dining....

From a T/A no less icon_rolleyes.gif

:Recommended attire for formal night dining> TUX and Evening Gown<.

... but oh no.. lets continue to migrate to shorts and baseball cap on backwards. icon_rolleyes.gif

On our last cruise on the Voyager everyone was dressed formally. I thought it was alot of fun and so did my daughter who was 14 at the time. I am glad that it was just for the two nights whould have not enjoyed having to do it every night. We have wonderfull pictures.

As previously posted...formal night means formal night. Go for it! I always wear a formal gown, Cinderella slippers, and have my hair done-up. Even though I am a grown woman, I still love to play dress-up!

If you do not dress formally, you will stick out like a sore thumb....believe us when we say formal nights are still alive and well.

Enjoy!

Kimberly

Monarch of the Seas 4/02

Disney Wonder 11/02

Adventure of the Seas 10/03, 3/04, planning 10/04

I have take 12 RCCL cruises in the past 5 years AND DO NOT dress formal for formal nights.

The thought of dressing up for dinner does not excite me on vacation. This is something I do for work (business dinners, etc), charity events, etc. Getting my hair and nails done is a weekly ritual. The great think about cruising.....you don't have to. It is just a suggestion. You will see about 25% - 30% who do not participate, but don't let that stop you!!

Enjoy your formal nights if you so choose!!

My husband and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon and we dressed up for both formal nights. Everyone else was dressed up too! We are going on more cruises in the near future and we will dress up for dinner again. If you do not care to get all dressed up, there is the Windjammer and Portofino's and Johnny Rockets. Hope this helps. Your cruise agent friend must be sailing on Carnival. icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Cruising

Patty

I agree with FOLGY...

I was on the Radiance this past week and formal was DEFINATELY formal... I saw lots of gowns and glittery dresses. I did not see casual at all. 20 to 30 % who do not participate? Not last week on the Radiance. Formal was the name of the game. But after dinner? Lots of people did change to be comfortable while sitting at the shows.

Formal evenings have always been a highlight of our cruises. We also have black tie events here at home but being on vacation and on a cruise makes "formal" even more special. I love to see everyone looking so stunning and could any man look better than in a tux????

I just got off the Splendour and it was my first cruise. I was prepared for Formal night with a suit and tie, On the first night of the cruise our waiter advised us that tomorrow was formal night but that we should dress how we want as the cruise was for us, "if you want to dress formal or casual it does not matter just come and enjoy the food and service" was all he said. The majority of people did dress but no one was treated like a sore thumb.

Dave

__ /7__/7__/7____

\::::::::::::::::::::

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, it's obvious from this thread that you have been advised to do whatever you want. To answer your question: you will NOT be overdressed if you wear a long fancy dress and hubby wears a suit. There are lots of people on RCI cruises who will also be dressed this way. There will also be lots of people who don't enjoy dressing up and will wear nice non-formal clothes.

It's a BIG ship, and most people dress to please themselves, but formal night always has LOTS of long fancy dresses and suits and tuxedos.

Most important: HAVE FUN!!

Peggy - RCI since 1973

Archived