8:40 Flight FLL

Tennessee88

Hey everyone! Just returned today from our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Crown. It was a great cruise! Just wanted to report that we did express walk-off and we were off the ship at 7:35 and at our gate for our flight at FLL by 8:05am

We were a bit nervous however that was our only option because we booked last minute (and it was thanksgiving weekend)

Just wanted to report back!

Hey everyone! Just returned today from our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Crown. It was a great cruise! Just wanted to report that we did express walk-off and we were off the ship at 7:35 and at our gate for our flight at FLL by 8:05am

We were a bit nervous however that was our only option because we booked last minute (and it was thanksgiving weekend)

Just wanted to report back!

WOW! We have been hearing about a taxi strike did that effect you at all? We will be doing the express walk off after our cruise next week; any pointers?

glad you made it...while it worked out I would still never plan a flight that early...hope you had a great cruise

Agreed! we would never plan a flight that early unless necessary.... but this time it was ( we could either book that flight or not take the cruise at all :( )... it was a bit stressful and we were definitely nervous about making the flight!!

ANd thanks! It was a great trip!

OP-I think you were VERY VERY lucky making this flight. In fact, I would guess that is a record for the ealiest flight made from FLL after a cruise. Glad to hear you made it, but there is NO WAY I would ever consider a flight that early, OMG, talk about nail biting? :eek:

Generally I would agree that having that early a flight would not be advised, but on all three of my cruises out of FLL, I have done express walkoff and been at the airport by 8am and through security by 8:15am, except for this past weekend with the taxi strike. We used the Princess greyhound bus transfer, and were at the terminal and through security by 8:30.

Overall, I wouldn't advise a flight before 10am, but you could make it based upon my experiences, and I'm glad you did!

Mike

We made a 9:35 flight with no problem on 11/16. We did the self disembark and were the first off the ship at 7:20am. We had no lines for anything and were sitting at the gate at 7:50. We arrived back at JFK before the next available flight had taken off at FLL. I would do it again in a minute but a 8:40 departure seems a little too early even for me. I'm really glad it worked out for you.

actually we didnt realize that there was a taxi strike! We did notice that there were slightly fewer taxis then normal at the port and we did have to wait about 5 minutes for one...... but it was not bad!!

About what is the cost to take a taxi from the port to the airport?:p

I'm glad you made it but as the disclaimer says on some adventure shows, "Please don't try this on your own."

You are very, very lucky for several reasons. One is that I've been on too many cruises when disembarkation didn't even start until long after your flight left. Another reason is that FLL check-in can frequently take a minimum of 30 minutes, and that's the curbside check-in with inside taking up to an hour. And another is that going through security can take half an hour alone. And finally, many airlines require that you check in at least an hour before your flight and some won't take your luggage closer than an hour. You could have easily lost your seat to a stand-by.

If anyone else is even remotely considering booking a flight before 10AM, DON'T!

Can you imagine trying to do a walk off after a 10 day or longer cruise with all the potential luggage? Unless you were doing the laundry shuffle every few days, there is no way you could schlep all that stuff, find a cab and get to an 8:30 flight.

Can you imagine trying to do a walk off after a 10 day or longer cruise with all the potential luggage? Unless you were doing the laundry shuffle every few days, there is no way you could schlep all that stuff, find a cab and get to an 8:30 flight.
Actually, I brought just one 25" suitcase for my recent 5 week trip, including packing for formal nights and weather from 100 to 50 degrees. Just because one is on a longer cruise doesn't mean you have to bring lots of stuff or extra bags. The biggest problem with making an 8:30AM flight is that chances are generally between slim and none that you will because there are so many factors outside your control that could delay you or cause you to miss your flight. Not the least of which is having the ship not cleared for disembarkation in time for an early departure. That happens all the time.

All,

We are on the 3/7/09 sailing of the Ruby and we were wondering if anyone can tell us if the disembarkation process is similar to the Crown in regards to speed. We have a 9:14 am flight out of FLL to Detroit and plan to do express walk off (hopefully in the first group). We do have 1st class tickets so we're thinking that will help us get through the airport a little quicker but I guess we're just wondering if the Ruby has any history (albeit a short one) of disembarking late or anything like that. Worst case, there are about 5 more direct flights to Detroit that day so we're hoping if we miss ours, we'll be able to get onto one of the later ones. Any advice (other than to change our flight) is appreciated.

Sandy & Rob

All,

We are on the 3/7/09 sailing of the Ruby and we were wondering if anyone can tell us if the disembarkation process is similar to the Crown in regards to speed. We have a 9:14 am flight out of FLL to Detroit and plan to do express walk off (hopefully in the first group). We do have 1st class tickets so we're thinking that will help us get through the airport a little quicker but I guess we're just wondering if the Ruby has any history (albeit a short one) of disembarking late or anything like that. Worst case, there are about 5 more direct flights to Detroit that day so we're hoping if we miss ours, we'll be able to get onto one of the later ones. Any advice (other than to change our flight) is appreciated.

Sandy & Rob

Based on my experience (see post above) you will be fine, the Ruby should be just like the Crown. One thing to note, they give out 5 groups of express walk off but no one looks at it. We had group 1 and were literally the first 2 passengers off the ship, but no one checked our papers. When you go into the waiting room for express walk off make sure you get there early and go all the way to the other end of the room to wait by the door. Many passengers request the self walk off even when they don't really need it. There is a recent post here from a man who only had a 45 minute drive to get home from the ship, he did express walk off and was angry when 2 women with an early flight wanted to get ahead of him. Also, when you get off the ship there is an escalator, if you are rolling more than one piece of luggage you will have to take the elevator....that will waste time. You should have no problem at the airport, the lines will be short at that hour and you have first class so you'll go right through. I approached it with the same attitude as you, worst case scenario we had later nonstop flights all day to NY.

You will have no problem making that flight from FLL to Detroit as long as you do walk off. We are booked on that same flight in Feb. 2009 and have done it many, many times in the past. We have always been at the gate with LOTS of time to spare. I realize that there may come a time when disembarkation is delayed for whatever reason and then we will jsut deal with it. It is definitely worth it to us to get home early at a MUCH cheaper fare than having to sit around the airport all day!

Thanks, NRG & judbusluc. I know that anything can happen but it helps to ease the mind a bit to hear stories of people making these early flights with no problems. If there were consistent issues with late disembarkations causing people to miss early flights, I would expect to read about it here on CC. We always have a backup plan but we're hoping that plan A goes as smoothly for us as it has for the two of you.

And you're right about the cost savings, judbusluc. It can be significant.

Archived