casual nights attire

das1727

Shorts are perfectly acceptable in the MDR. Not much is enforced.

Good comment. I personally have never seen anyone denied entry into the MDR but then I do not sit by the door watching as I have better things to do with my time. I know some have alleged that enforcement does occur. With the waiter telling pax at least at my table to come to formal night dressed as they are on informal night, it is evident that enforcement is very lax. Others on this board have reported the same conversation with their waiter.

Wear clean clothes in good repair, be kind and have a great time. Remember you will never see 99% of these people ever again!

My husband and I dress up on formal nights and typically our teenage sons wear suits and ties. This year, however, they have grown again, and we have decided they will wear their black pants, dark shirt and tie. I bring one pair of black pants for each son for the entire cruise, as the pants only stay on during dinner and if something happens to fall on them during dinner, I get them cleaned through the ship's laundry. I bring them dress shirts (which I have laundered first thing so that they are pressed for the cruise and don't need to worry about them surviving in the suitcase/bag) and polos to rotate. I have found that this cuts down tremendously on packing for them. The only time we have ever worn shorts to dinner would be the first night and I even cringe at that.

I would suggest on casual nights, dress the way you would going on a date to a nice restaurant. Polo shirt and slacks/Dockers/chinos would be my suggestion for guys. Women usually have better fashion sense than men so I won't make any suggestions for them.
So much of threads like this end up with folks preaching how THEY would like you to dress, not how real people dress on real cruises.

Touché.

Great comment.

So much of threads like this end up with folks preaching how THEY would like you to dress, not how real people dress on real cruises.

Isn't what we choose to wear a sort of social lubrication? When we dress up for a wedding or a funeral, isn't that in part a mark of respect for the happy couple or grieving family respectively?

So if we choose to lower the ambiance of the MDR by wearing shorts to what is supposed to be a kind of a nice restaurant, are we not disrespecting the other people by letting our clothing say, "I don't respect you enough to take the time to put on a pair of slacks and make your evening a nicer experience. Face it, people, I'm on vacation, I left my social graces back at home, for seven days, it's all about me"?

Isn't what we choose to wear a sort of social lubrication? When we dress up for a wedding or a funeral, isn't that in part a mark of respect for the happy couple or grieving family respectively?

So if we choose to lower the ambiance of the MDR by wearing shorts to what is supposed to be a kind of a nice restaurant, are we not disrespecting the other people by letting our clothing say, "I don't respect you enough to take the time to put on a pair of slacks and make your evening a nicer experience. Face it, people, I'm on vacation, I left my social graces back at home, for seven days, it's all about me"?

ITA

In addition, there is a difference between dressing informally on formal night (e.g., slacks and a shirt but no suit) and wearing shorts on casual night. One is a "suggestion" while the other is a rule.

Déja Vu, all over again?

You couldn't have said it any better. I fully agree with you. We dress for a particular occasion to both show respect and to set an ambiance. One certainly would not go to a black tie event expecting to see other guests in jeans, t-shirts, shorts, etc. Formal nights onboard dictate that, if not a tux, at least a suit and tie. On casual nights, dress the same as you would for dinner at a nice restaurant. You are setting a mood for others in attendance as well as for yourself.

And you are correct, women DO have more of a fashion sense, and certainly know what is appropriate to wear.

We love cruising, and we love to be totally casual all day long, shorts, swimsuits, etc. But we also enjoy being in the company of many nicely dressed people during the evening. It can only add to the enjoyment of an evening of nice dining.

When I went on my first couple of cruises I found many things that were nothing like what I read on the "boards" including dress guidelines.

LOL! True! That's because in the real world the cruiselines handle the dress codes the way they see fit;) Not how some in cyberspace think it should be:D

That's because in the real world the cruiselines handle the dress codes the way they see fit Not how some in cyberspace think it should be

How very true. After our Repeater's Party on Vision, I asked an officer from the welcoming group, why do you state on the invitation "shorts not permitted" and then don't enforce it? His answer was that they try to imply a dress code, but would never enforce it, too much bad feeling would be created.

How very true. After our Repeater's Party on Vision, I asked an officer from the welcoming group, why do you state on the invitation "shorts not permitted" and then don't enforce it? His answer was that they try to imply a dress code, but would never enforce it, too much bad feeling would be created.

I can't understand why the dress police can't seem to grasp that that explanation. They aren't going to force anyone to conform to any suggested dress code & rather than make waves, let the customer decide what's best for themselves (within reason).

I can't understand why the dress police can't seem to grasp that that explanation. They aren't going to force anyone to conform to any suggested dress code & rather than make waves, let the customer decide what's best for themselves (within reason).

I certainly don't expect the cruise line to enforce any dress "rules". That places the cruise line personnel in an awkward spot--what are they going to do, call security and throw the perpetrators in the brig?

So yep, wear shorts in the MDR at dinner.

It just comes down to a matter of respect for others. If someone doesn't have any respect for others, I can't give them any, nor can I force them to get some. All I can do is wish their momma had raised them with some.

I certainly don't expect the cruise line to enforce any dress "rules". That places the cruise line personnel in an awkward spot--what are they going to do, call security and throw the perpetrators in the brig?

They can deny entrance to the dining room. Simple as that;)

I care no more about what the person is wearing at the next table in the MRD than what he is eating. If he wants to wear shorts and eat a peanut butter sandwich, so what? We all are capable of making our own choices and making our own decisions. What someone else chooses to wear has absolutely no impact upon me. Why is it that folks get so cranked up about this issue?

I care no more about what the person is wearing at the next table in the MRD than what he is eating. If he wants to wear shorts and eat a peanut butter sandwich, so what? We all are capable of making our own choices and making our own decisions. What someone else chooses to wear has absolutely no impact upon me. Why is it that folks get so cranked up about this issue?

It's not a biggie for me either. But, I understand the other side of things as well. It is all about the experience. You would agree, I'm assuming, that the beautiful DR decor and the food presentation add to the overall dining experience. For some people...having everyone looking their best, dressed beautifully adds to their experience. I've always had the pleasure of having table mates who come looking wonderful to dinner. And it is nice because it reminds me that we are doing something special.

I am with you on this. I really do not care what others have on and it does not spoil the ambiance for me. There are those however that insist everyone dress, act and talk according to their standards and on my last cruise speak only their language! :eek:

On the last cruise I saw quite a number of men and women with nice shorts on in the MDR for dinner on informal nights. I saw a really good number of jeans on the same nights and after the first two nights, I switched to my jeans. I live in the west where people are informal and jeans are worn all the time sometimes with a sport coat for dress up.

As for the "experience", white table clothes and a lot of silverware does not make a 5 star meal. When they start serving true 5 star meals with waiters in formal wear, I might consider dressing a bit better.

Is it okay for men to wear dress shorts with a nice shirt in the dining room on casual nights... Thanks

The problem is that it's a slippery slope.

Someone else seeing you in your dress shorts and "nice shirt", might decide to wear a T-shirt instead.

The next person seeing the T-shirt might decide to wear flip flops, T-shirt and shorts.

Ultimately, people will come to the dining room, in a bathing suit, barefoot and shirtless ...... on formal night!:eek:

Someone else seeing you in your dress shorts and "nice shirt", might decide to wear a T-shirt instead.

The next person seeing the T-shirt might decide to wear flip flops, T-shirt and shorts.

Ultimately, people will come to the dining room, in a bathing suit, barefoot and shirtless ...... on formal night!:eek:

That may very well be, but why does it matter. They paid for their cruise and they can dress any way they want, in whatever is comfortable. Some people don't like ties. Some people don't like shirts either.

I suppose on 'formal nights' a t-shirt is in order, but hey, on casual night why wear a shirt at all. I'm sure lots of people eat dinner at home with no shirt on. Shirts are pretty useless pieces of clothing for the most part anyway. They just get dirty when you slobber your food on them.;)

Why is that every time some one suggests a relaxation of a dress code suggestion does it always escalate to the extreme examples?

Why is that every time some one suggests a relaxation of a dress code suggestion does it always escalate to the extreme examples?

Because for most of us a cruise is just a vacation. But for a few cruising is a lifestyle, they live, eat and breath it. And when they are not cruising they spend all their time on Cruise Critic.

So any relaxation of a cruising code or rule is slap in the face and a really big deal. It cuts right to heart of everything they think is right about their lifestyle choice.

Because for most of us a cruise is just a vacation. But for a few cruising is a lifestyle, they live, eat and breath it. And when they are not cruising they spend all their time on Cruise Critic.

So any relaxation of a cruising code or rule is slap in the face and a really big deal. It cuts right to heart of everything they think is right about their lifestyle choice.

Whoa! Sigmund, whats next, your analysis of how boarding the ship is displaced feelings about the maternal parent?:D

You better take a little closer look at the people posting thier distaste for people wearing their shorts in the dining room.

I think people are just questioning how far 'dress suggestions' get relaxed in a round about way.

If formal isn't formal, then who decides to what extent the 'dress suggestions' get relaxed? What DOES casual mean? :confused:

If sticking with the suggestions is not the way it should be done, what is?

Don't you have over 1000 posts?:rolleyes:

Don't you have over 1000 posts?:rolleyes:

Over a two year period. That less then two post per day, hardly spending all my time on Cruise Critic. Is's agood place to waste some time and meet wonderful folks like yourself.

What is your point please?

I guess I must have struck a nerve.

Sorry.

Over a two year period. That less then two post per day, hardly spending all my time on Cruise Critic. Is's agood place to waste some time and meet wonderful folks like yourself.

What is your point please?

I guess I must have struck a nerve.

Sorry.

Hardly!

I'm a 5 year member with 200 posts, what nerve were your referring to?:rolleyes:

Your posting every day for two years straight? Seems like I'm the one who struck a nerve.:D

Now why don't you just stick to the topic.;)

Archived