casual nights attire

das1727

Hardly!

I'm a 5 year member with 200 posts, what nerve were your referring to?:rolleyes:

Your posting every day for two years straight? Seems like I'm the one who struck a nerve.:D

Now why don't you just stick to the topic.;)

Which I was trying to do in my post.

You took out one part and decided to nitpick a little.

Now back to the topic at hand.:D

Have a nice day and happy cruising.

The problem is that it's a slippery slope.

Someone else seeing you in your dress shorts and "nice shirt", might decide to wear a T-shirt instead.

The next person seeing the T-shirt might decide to wear flip flops, T-shirt and shorts.

Ultimately, people will come to the dining room, in a bathing suit, barefoot and shirtless ...... on formal night!:eek:

Wow talk about drama:rolleyes:

Look how many posts I have LOL!!!!!

You're one of those cruisers that Shipyard Cruiser is talking about! LOL!!!!!:D

And how do you know that?

The post said nothing about the number of post you had.

Some folks have a lot of post and only post in the roll call.

Reread my post.

I will be happy to explan it to you inf you like:D

If formal isn't formal, then who decides to what extent the 'dress suggestions' get relaxed?

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and they are obviously willing to relax them quite a lot. They don't even enforce the rules that state "not permitted" or "not allowed".

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and they are obviously willing to relax them quite a lot. They don't even enforce the rules that state "not permitted" or "not allowed".

And we all know you can't have a vacation without lots and lots of rules...and plenty of people on hand to enforce them.:D

Just kidding!:o

Interesting point. So I guess the parents of the children in the "adults pool only" shouldn't be criticized because RCCL lets them get away with it - and then that gets to be ok behavior??? I think you've had one martini too many there james.

Peter

Interesting point. So I guess the parents of the children in the "adults pool only" shouldn't be criticized because RCCL lets them get away with it - and then that gets to be ok behavior??? I think you've had one martini too many there james.

You know as well as I do that there are people who flaunt the rules. My position is that if RCI has rules they should either enforce them or drop them. I never endorsed breaking the rules, but if that's what people wish to do, then I believe that RCI is just as much at fault for allowing it. In my experience, RCI enforces the rules to suit their own convenience. The only one they rigidly enforce is the no alcohol to be brought on the ship.

By the way, there is no such thing as one martini too many.:D

You know as well as I do that there are people who flaunt the rules. My position is that if RCI has rules they should either enforce them or drop them. I never endorsed breaking the rules, but if that's what people wish to do, then I believe that RCI is just as much at fault for allowing it. In my experience, RCI enforces the rules to suit their own convenience. The only one they rigidly enforce is the no alcohol to be brought on the ship.

By the way, there is no such thing as one martini too many.:D

I'll take that as a "yes", they should not be criticized. Ok folks, Bond has spoken. Just because it says "no smoking" or "adults only pool" but RCCL let's people get away with it, you now must stop your complaining about these two issues on these boards. The people are not to blame.

And please, those of you that break any other rules onboard ship and get away with it, please report those on this post as well so we all know what we can now do that we thought we couldn't. Thanks james.

Peter

I care no more about what the person is wearing at the next table in the MRD than what he is eating. If he wants to wear shorts and eat a peanut butter sandwich, so what? We all are capable of making our own choices and making our own decisions. What someone else chooses to wear has absolutely no impact upon me. Why is it that folks get so cranked up about this issue?

As I've said on another post about this subject, I would suggest that anyone who finds it necessary to dress casually every night in the dining room find a cruise line that doesn't advertise formal nights or find somewhere else to eat dinner when on a RCCL cruise on their formal nights.

Until Royal Caribbean decides to follow NCL and not advertise formal nights, it will continue to be selfish, rude behavior for passengers to ignore the suggested attire. There are people that intentionally select a cruise line for the formal night experience and it's not up to the passengers to assume it's optional, regardless of RCCL's actions or lack of action.

It's just a guess, but I'd bet the price of my next cruise that you keep your cell phone on during movies. After all, you paid to get in!!!

Peter

The problem is that it's a slippery slope.

Someone else seeing you in your dress shorts and "nice shirt", might decide to wear a T-shirt instead.

The next person seeing the T-shirt might decide to wear flip flops, T-shirt and shorts.

Ultimately, people will come to the dining room, in a bathing suit, barefoot and shirtless ...... on formal night!:eek:

They should require everyone not wear any clothing in the MDR. Then maybe this pointless argument about what to wear and snide comments could come to an end.

They should require everyone not wear any clothing in the MDR. Then maybe this pointless argument about what to wear and snide comments could come to an end.

But I really enjoy seeing other people getting dressed in tuxes & gowns & this would ruin the whole show for me.:rolleyes:

As I've said on another post about this subject, I would suggest that anyone who finds it necessary to dress casually every night in the dining room find a cruise line that doesn't advertise formal nights or find somewhere else to eat dinner when on a RCCL cruise on their formal nights.

Until Royal Caribbean decides to follow NCL and not advertise formal nights, it will continue to be selfish, rude behavior for passengers to ignore the suggested attire. There are people that intentionally select a cruise line for the formal night experience and it's not up to the passengers to assume it's optional, regardless of RCCL's actions or lack of action.

It's just a guess, but I'd bet the price of my next cruise that you keep your cell phone on during movies. After all, you paid to get in!!!

Peter

...no I do not keep my cell phone on during movies. My cell phone is always off except while I am making a call which is always done in private. I would ask how much you paid for your next cruise, but that would be rude.

...and in case you were wondering, I never wear a hat indoors unless I am at a hockey rink and I do choose to wear a jacket and tie when we dine in other venues on formal night. I mention this because even though I do not care what other people are wearing, it is obvious that some are very concerned about this issue.

...we no longer visit the MDR on so-called formal nights because I not a member of a country club, have never been a member of a country club, do not desire to become a member of a country club, nor do I wish to pretend that I am a member of a country club.

Peter

Why so rude and downright mean?

Is this whole dress guideline thing that big a deal?

A rule that works very well for me is to just mind my own business when I'm aboard.

By just following that simple rule this whole thing becomes a non-issue.

Come on...try it.:D

If we are all being real honest with each other, everyone cares about what clothes they are wearing and everyone will judge each other. We do it without thinking, we automatically categorize people because of what they are wearing. Even those dressed not so well, thinking they are snubbing style by wearing sloppy clothes are making a statement with their clothes.

The bottom line is that the cruise line employees are far more gracious than many cruisers and would not exclude them because of the clothes they are wearing.

I like to look nice, my husband likes to look nice and we plan and pack for both days and evenings, formal and casual. That's just us...we seem to fit in, not one person has ever made a snide remark to us and we haven't gotten any down the nose looks our way (at least none we've noticed).

We've also come to realise that not every one feels the same way and are comfortable dressing in more casual clothing than what the request has been. Of course we notice, if we said we didn't we'd be lying...but when we see people like that we make a passing glance. Just as we do unless a person is really eye-catching in lovely or shocking clothes.

It's just people. We've met people dressed to the nines who are individuals we don't care to be around, some are not cleaned up well but are delightful. And vice-versa. No need to dwell on it or really pay all that much attention to it.

The funniest part of all this to me is that when I first joined CC (in 2000, not 2002 as indicated) this whole dress code war was all about wearing a tux vs. a suit and tie :D It's also funny that you don't have to convince the majority of women to dress up, just the guys. And for them it's so simple, long pants vs, short pants or the almighty uncomfortable tie. They should sing praises they don't have to wear a bra, pantyhose, sausage casings, heels, just the right jewelry and then try to walk on a moving ship on their tip-toes!

I think guys need to recheck their neck and waist sizes if their ties and clothes are too uncomfortable.

There are people that intentionally select a cruise line for the formal night experience and it's not up to the passengers to assume it's optional, regardless of RCCL's actions or lack of action.

You just don't get it. RCI doesn't give a hoot about what people wear and it's blatantly obvious to most passengers. Their lack of enforcement leads to the obvious, it is optional. If people intentionally select a cruise line for the formal night experience, then they will not be disappointed with RCI, I think that their formal evenings are quite well dressed. But formal wear has nothing to do with this thread, the OP asked about casual night.

The bottom line is that the cruise line employees are far more gracious than many cruisers and would not exclude them because of the clothes they are wearing.

...and they are definitely more gracious than some posters on this board.:mad:

Why so rude and downright mean?

Probably because people who can only see one side of a discussion, find it the only way they can justify themselves.:rolleyes:

My personal feelings are you paid for the cruise and for except formal night, you should be able to wear what you want as long as it doesn't show parts that are supposed to be covered, I hate dressing up the only time I do funerals I know that sounds bad, I like my shorts and t-shirts as long as there clean I can't see why you can't go into the other resturants and be comforable afterall we paid for it, and this is vacation. ANybody agree

A man who sat at a table beside ours wore shorts and very casual tops and boat shoes every single night including formal night in the MDR. It wasn't terribly noticeable when he was seated, except for formal night when his casual shirt did stand out. He was a very pleasant man, however. Maybe attitude makes the difference. If he had been a jerk, it might ahve been different.

A man at the table on our other side dressed fabulously on formal nights, but the other nights he did wear rubber beach thongs and jeans. He was quiet and respectful.

Again, I guess that behavior does make a difference. If either of these men had been obnoxious, maybe their clothing choices would have been more of an issue. I must add, that no one around these casual dressers seemed to notice or made an issue of their tablemates' attire.

Archived