casual nights attire

das1727

Is it okay for men to wear dress shorts with a nice shirt in the dining room on casual nights... Thanks

Not according to RCI's posted suggestions for dining room attire. Shorts are not allowed in the dining room at dinner time.

Its a good rule I think. (Not that you asked).

We saw three couples turned away from the dining room one night when they opened the doors and people started going in. All three men had nice button down shirts on, and knee length shorts.

But! The tall, young willowy woman directly in front of me, with long dark hair and shorts so short they barely covered her butt cheeks was allowed in.

If they are going to turn MEN away who are wearing shorts, they need to turn WOMEN away as well. Not very fair.

I have worn shorts and flip flops in the dining room before. Now before anyone attempts to beat me up, my table mates were waiting for us on the Liberty back in February. It was Superbowl Sunday and I did not want to kep anyone waiting. I ran in to tell them to not wait for me and that I would go back to my room to change. They said don't worry about it and stress, just sit down and eat. I can tell you I did not move one bit because I agree with the dress code. I kept my feet far under the table and my wife was mortified the entire time lol. I was seated directly behind the Captain. Dinner was almost over when they announced the Giants had won. Some guests got up and praise and some in disaapointment. I got up and actually shook the Captain's hand and the other Officers. No one said anything. So for the remainder of the cruise I dressed up above and beyond with a jacket.

I guess it all depends on the ship, the night, the time and other variables. Its a practice I will never (hopefully) ever have to do it again. I have to thank my table mates from Ireland and from the UK for making me feel compfortable even though I was not and my DW was visibly disturbed.

dockers and a polo are the expected "casual"DR attire...they ask that no shorts be worn in the DR

What about for women? Is a casual sundress ok? Dark jeans and a dressy knit top? Capris?

For lunch/breakfast, are shorts and tshirts ok?

I'm finding all this dress code business bewildering!

On the very 1st night, it's extremely casual, as not everyone's luggage has arrived in their cabins. Shorts are ok, if that's all you have.

After that, long pants/slacks/trousers are expected.

For breakfast and lunch, shorts are fine!

But! The tall, young willowy woman directly in front of me, with long dark hair and shorts so short they barely covered her butt cheeks was allowed in.

I find that being tall, young, and willowy (and, sometimes, almost having your butt cheeks exposed) solves almost any problem!

Seriously, though, I do think women get a lot more leeway when it comes to dress codes because it's so much more complicated than "jacket required", but it also makes it way harder to figure out what you're supposed to be wearing.

I find that being tall, young, and willowy (and, sometimes, almost having your butt cheeks exposed) solves almost any problem!

Seriously, though, I do think women get a lot more leeway when it comes to dress codes because it's so much more complicated than "jacket required", but it also makes it way harder to figure out what you're supposed to be wearing.

Oh I sure do agree with you, but it just wasn't very fair to the three men they turned away. In all fairness she should have been turned away too.

We just got off Vision. The invitation to the Repeater's Party stated "Dress Smart Casual", and in very bold print it stated "Shorts, tee shirts and flip flops not permitted". Of course there were people at the party in shorts and they were welcomed into the lounge just like everyone else.

We just got off Vision. The invitation to the Repeater's Party stated "Dress Smart Casual", and in very bold print it stated "Shorts, tee shirts and flip flops not permitted". Of course there were people at the party in shorts and they were welcomed into the lounge just like everyone else.

I did go to it on our last cruise...I was so tired and in shorts...my DH went by himself...he said 1/2 of the people there were in shorts and was upset I didn't go.

Same thing happened on the last SS cruise too..............

AND I was on the naming of the ship ceremony cruise for the Solstice......can you believe some bozos wore shoes and flipflops to that ceremony????????? Unbelievable!:eek:

On the AOS in September, there were a lot of shorts worn by both males and female adults in the MDR on informal nights. Obviously they were not enforcing the rules of no shorts allowed! Generally the MDR is on the cold side most of the time, so long pants are much warmer as is a long sleeve shirt.

I'm finding all this dress code business bewildering!

The only reliable source for this info is the RCI web site. There are too many "Sea Lawyers" here and only 10% of the opinions are fact based. Some say that it's only a "suggested policy" and you can do whatever you wish. If RCI intended that, they wouldn't have put anything concerning attire on their web site.

Life Onboard

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?s.gifA: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Is it okay for men to wear dress shorts with a nice shirt in the dining room on casual nights... Thanks

It is certainly okay with me, but on the other hand "The Clothes Police" will get their knickers in a knot and quote from RCCL guidelines.

If RCI intended that, they wouldn't have put anything concerning attire on their web site.

Yes we all know what they publish on their web site. We've seen it many times.

What people want to know is the reality of the situation and not only what's published. It's good knowledge for both sides to know so no one gets surprised by what they find.

Yes we all know what they publish on their web site. We've seen it many times.

What people want to know is the reality of the situation and not only what's published. It's good knowledge for both sides to know so no one gets surprised by what they find.

Great comment.

When I went on my first couple of cruises I found many things that were nothing like what I read on the "boards" including dress guidelines.

So much of threads like this end up with folks preaching how THEY would like you to dress, not how real people dress on real cruises.

Except on the first night, before we get unpacked, DW and I treat the MDR at dinnertime as a nice restaurant--a very nice restaurant on formal nights. (Nice restaurant defined as no satellite tvs, no trivia machines, no neon beer logos, Buffalo wings are not on the menu). So we dress that way.

If we have breakfast and lunch in the MDR (which we enjoy doing), we wear what we we are wearing for the day (except no, not bathing suits :)).

Your mileage may vary.

Except on the first night, before we get unpacked, DW and I treat the MDR at dinnertime as a nice restaurant--a very nice restaurant on formal nights. (Nice restaurant defined as no satellite tvs, no trivia machines, no neon beer logos, Buffalo wings are not on the menu). So we dress that way.

If we have breakfast and lunch in the MDR (which we enjoy doing), we wear what we we are wearing for the day (except no, not bathing suits :)).

Your mileage may vary.

I was called away before I could finish my post. I meant to add, DW & I treat every dinner in the MDR as a date. I would suggest on casual nights, dress the way you would going on a date to a nice restaurant. Polo shirt and slacks/Dockers/chinos would be my suggestion for guys. Women usually have better fashion sense than men so I won't make any suggestions for them. :)

Archived