short dresses for formal night?

nilsbyy

Does anyone wear short cocktail dresses on formal night? I saw a lot of cute ones in the party dress section of the Charlotte Russe and Forever 21 websites (most of them under $30!). Or are full-length evening gowns the norm?

You see some of both--if you're talking about cocktail dresses, not short, everyday dresses!

Yes, cocktail dresses. I was looking at the satin/sequin-type ones (though not the all-over silver sequin one, because I think I would look like a TUNA!).

Does anyone wear short cocktail dresses on formal night? I saw a lot of cute ones in the party dress section of the Charlotte Russe and Forever 21 websites (most of them under $30!). Or are full-length evening gowns the norm?

I do, I do!!!:)

It really depends on the line you'll be cruising. You'll see full length gowns on Cunard, and many on HAL and Celebrity. You'll also see a mix of cocktail dresses on HAL, Celebrity, and Princess. On my one Carnival cruise, the majority who were dressed for formal nights (now Elegant Evenings) were in cocktail dresses with probably only 10% in full length gowns.

In these days of airlines charging for luggage, many are choosing to pack lighter. I find cocktail dresses much easier to pack. Are they "true formal wear"? No, but when the cruiseline uses them as examples for attire on formal nights, they are certainly acceptable.

I neglected to mention: this is for a 7-night Royal Caribbean cruise. I heard they tend more toward casual than other lines because of the lower price, but I don't know if that's true.

You could wear a knee length cocktail dress, but you will see lots of people in full-length dresses. Royal Caribbean is less dressy than Celebrity or HAL, but definitely dressier than Carnival.

I've been wearing shorter cocktail length dresses on Royal Caribbean now for a couple of years. They are not as formal as long gowns, but you barely see any men in tuxedos, mostly suits and sometimes even just shirt sleeves. Shorter dresses look absolutely fine with todays interpretation of formal, I think I'm even dressed more formal than some women in long dresses. I don't even think I've still got a long formal dress in my closet any longer.

I think it depends a lot on the fabric of the dress, plus the length, I'd not wear a mini dress, but then again I'm well beyond the age of mini dresses since I wore them the first time they were popular. My cocktail dresses are made of satin, brocade, chiffon, some have beading, some have metallic threads throughout, all are at my knee or just above. I have dresses in black, gold, chocolate brown and bronze. I think I need to stop buying them ;)

I think it depends a lot on the fabric of the dress, plus the length, I'd not wear a mini dress, but then again I'm well beyond the age of mini dresses since I wore them the first time they were popular. My cocktail dresses are made of satin, brocade, chiffon, some have beading, some have metallic threads throughout, all are at my knee or just above. I have dresses in black, gold, chocolate brown and bronze. I think I need to stop buying them ;)

I'm a little fuzzy on what constitutes a minidress; I thought any dress above the knee was a minidress! At what point does it become 'mini'?

I was thinking one black and one dark blue...

I always take a mixture now, a couple of long gowns, and a couple of mid calf cocktail type dresses.

It seems to work out quite well that way, also I always take my evening pants

and beaded halter tops, they always look good!

The main thing is to be comfy in what you wear, and enjoy it!!

S&D:)

banned.gif.4ad2f7f5d6d81999d477f6c2ad36863c.gif

I'm a little fuzzy on what constitutes a minidress; I thought any dress above the knee was a minidress! At what point does it become 'mini'?

A mini usually hits the thigh about at the level your wrist does when your arms are straight down by your side. Then there's the micro-mini, and from what I've seen, they barely cover the crotch !! :eek::eek::eek:

I was thinking one black and one dark blue...

Not a mini dress:

_5736052.jpg

Mini dress:

_5718027.jpg

I think it also depends on a persons legs and age, I see women wearing dresses that would be lovely if only a couple of inches longer. Heidi Klum is a good example. She has the body and the looks, but many times her dresses to me look silly because they are just an inch or two too short, she's too old for a micro mini dress. For me, I look better with a dress at the top of my knee, rather than in the middle of the knee. I'm not at all comfortable with a dress more than 2 inches above my knee. Some women look better with a dress a little below their knee. Young women, in their late teens and early 20's can look wonderful in mini dresses if they have great legs.

It's like any other type of clothing...a good fit, complimentary colors and the right look for your age group, anyone can look wonderful. Trying to look too young takes away from a womans beauty just as much as dressing too dowdy if you are young.

That's a cute dress. I'm really short and small, so long dresses don't look that great on me and usually require some alteration.

I've got 5 weeks to go (yes, I'm counting!) so I better make a decision and start shopping pretty soon! Between my partner and I, we have to buy FOUR dresses, not to mention all the associated undergarments, shoes, and accessories.

I'm sailing on dec. 28 on Princess.

I'm taking 2 very pretty cocktail dresses.

I've worn them both to two over-the-top NY black tie weddings.

One is a black lace knee length cocktail dress.

The other is black with white polka dots and some beading.

Believe me, I've sailed on a 5 previous cruises; long gowns are not necessary unless

you love the look.

I'm short and I look ridiculous in long gowns.

I wore 2 long dresses last time. I'm doing a combination this time though. I'm wearing a long dress the first formal night and a cocktail dress the second.

I love long gowns but for this cruise, the cocktail dress will be a good fit.

Do you gals think that this is an appropriate dress** for the formal night?

I don't have full-length dresses so I want to make sure that I have enough time to run and get one! I will be in a 3 day cruise (Carnival) with only one formal night. It is a black gathered lace "mini-dress". It will be worn with black heels. a clutch and a black and ivory beaded necklace, bracelet and long earrings. I will straighten my hair that night (it is usually curly) and wear it in a long ponytail tilted sides ways with my bangs.

*Please look at the attached dress

016.jpg.2515bd6d8f636a4dd50a59304021f679.jpg

I neglected to mention: this is for a 7-night Royal Caribbean cruise. I heard they tend more toward casual than other lines because of the lower price, but I don't know if that's true.

You'll be right at home in the kind of dress you describe.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

I will on Carnival's Sensation 3 day cruise to the Bahamas this Thursday.

I was wondering whether my dress will be ok for the formal night. I will be wearing it with black heels, a silver clutch, some beaded silver and black long earrings, necklaces and bracelets. My hair (since I have long layers and it is usually curly), I thought about straightening it and doing a low-sided ponytail with my bangs to the right side.

Please find it attached and let me know your opinion ASAP so if it is not the appropriate thing to go and get something soon.

Thanks for all your help!

1703337451_cruisedress.jpg.405d700b0cbc1b071603394d37981b4b.jpg

Archived