Wine questions

lovecruzin

I have seen the dining menus, does anyone have the wine list for Journey? Maybe I missed it in my search.

And re the 2 bottles per cabin that you can bring on, do they have to be in your carryon? We thought we might try 2 in the carryon and 2 in the suitcase.

And not a wine question but I thought I read in one of the posts that someone was able to buy alcohol in the duty free shop and take it back to their cabin. Any similar experiences? On past cruises, they have always delivered it your cabin on the last night.

Thanks

We took on 2 bottles, which we carried on at several ports in the med,i assume you are not fly cruising or wont this affect your baggage,also not being funny but wont azamara start to question the 2 bottle rule if every one pushes the bounderys and stricyly enforce the no alchol rule

We took on 2 bottles, which we carried on at several ports in the med,i assume you are not fly cruising or wont this affect your baggage,also not being funny but wont azamara start to question the 2 bottle rule if every one pushes the bounderys and stricyly enforce the no alchol rule

Hi,

I think it is now 2 bottles per person and any Spirits are delivered on the last night even those purchased on-board, the liquor package is $60 which is a bit steep but does include the soda. I am surprised that you could bring wine on board during the cruise we were not allowed to.

I have seen the dining menus, does anyone have the wine list for Journey? Maybe I missed it in my search.

And re the 2 bottles per cabin that you can bring on, do they have to be in your carryon? We thought we might try 2 in the carryon and 2 in the suitcase.

And not a wine question but I thought I read in one of the posts that someone was able to buy alcohol in the duty free shop and take it back to their cabin. Any similar experiences? On past cruises, they have always delivered it your cabin on the last night.

Thanks

You are right that someone did post that they were carrying wine bought in ports and bringing it on the ship through their backpacks. They also posted that they were buying liquor on the ship and also bringing it back to their room.

I myself have never had that experience. As far as bring two bottles in carry-on and two in the checked luggage. Yes you can do that, however most people do not as I know myself that I would not want to risk having the wine break open and go all ove your cloths. That would be a disaster.:eek:

As far as bring two bottles in carry-on and two in the checked luggage. Yes you can do that, however most people do not as I know myself that I would not want to risk having the wine break open and go all ove your cloths. That would be a disaster.:eek:

I was afraid of that until DH convinced me to try flying with a bottle .... carefully bubble wrapped, in a plastic container which he put inside a plastic bag! But it still worries me - and would only do with white wine! Yikes, can you imagine red wine all over your clothes when you open your suitcase.

Two things occur to me. 1. with the current weight restrictions there would be many more lasting items to take the place of a bottle of wine in luggage.

2. The cost of having everything wet and needing to be cleaned would probably buy you several fine bottles on board.:):)

Bringing wine in from ports is another matter and is just fun.:D

In reference to the wine list, if no one has one, do you know if the price list is similar to that of Celebrity ships?

If you go to the Azamara web site and go all the way to the bottom. You will see gifts. Click on that and that will take you to wine. I think that the prices are a bit better than Celebrity but not as mush as a selection.

Two things occur to me. 1. with the current weight restrictions there would be many more lasting items to take the place of a bottle of wine in luggage.

2. The cost of having everything wet and needing to be cleaned would probably buy you several fine bottles on board.:):)

Bringing wine in from ports is another matter and is just fun.:D

We just plan on buying a few bottles in Miami, not bringing them across country. And from what I remember the wine selection in some ports is not that great...I like my Pinot Noirs!! Now rum or vodka...maybe!

If you go to the Azamara web site and go all the way to the bottom. You will see gifts. Click on that and that will take you to wine. I think that the prices are a bit better than Celebrity but not as mush as a selection.

Sorry I don't know how to put multiple quotes in 1 reply ;)

I am looking for the restaurant wine list...which should be more extensive than the one for bon voyage gifts. Thanks though.

I am looking for the restaurant wine list...which should be more extensive than the one for bon voyage gifts. Thanks though.

I would then call the Captin's Club and perhaps they can fax you over the list.

DON'T travel with wine in your suitcase. When it goes through the X ray scan, the dark outline of a bottle means your bag will be pulled aside for inspection. They break into it, if locked, leaving you a nice note that they have done an inspection. (a dept of Homeland Security, whose name I have forgotten)

Your case is almost guaranteed to miss the flight. In my case it was coming home, so I didn't care as much.

DON'T travel with wine in your suitcase. When it goes through the X ray scan, the dark outline of a bottle means your bag will be pulled aside for inspection. They break into it, if locked, leaving you a nice note that they have done an inspection. (a dept of Homeland Security, whose name I have forgotten)

Your case is almost guaranteed to miss the flight. In my case it was coming home, so I didn't care as much.

Here's how: click on the middle box in the bottom right hand corner for the posts that you want to quote (when you hold your cursor over it, it will say "multi quote this message" and it will change to an orange color when you click on it), then click on the "quote" box in the last post that you're quoting, and the reply box will open up with both posts in it.

I think that may have been a fluke. I've traveled with wine and many other odd things in my suitcase . I've lost track of the number of times I've had the security inspection notice in a bag, but I've never arrived at my destination without the bag.

You asked about the restaurant wine list -I do not have one but we did buy wine to have with our meals on several (many) occasions. There was quite a good selection of new world wines - California, Australia spring to mind. Also some French ones from memory as we had a red on the first night. I seem to recall that prices ranged from about $30 a bottle. We mostly drank mid-range wines (about $40), and they were very good, but the French one (I'm sure it was French) was about $60 and also a very good wine. Don't forget they then add 18%. One good thing is that if you do not drink the bottle, they will label it with your cabin number and you can drink it on a different night. (Sure they do this on other cruise lines as well). If you are eating in the buffet, rather than Discoveries or specialty restaurants, you can ask for the wine list and they will bring up the wine from the cellar/store (and also any of your saved wines).

Here's how: click on the middle box in the bottom right hand corner for the posts that you want to quote (when you hold your cursor over it, it will say "multi quote this message" and it will change to an orange color when you click on it), then click on the "quote" box in the last post that you're quoting, and the reply box will open up with both posts in it.

I should have been able to figure that out...Thanks.:o

Thank-you!!!!!:) I not finally know how to do this!

I think that may have been a fluke. I've traveled with wine and many other odd things in my suitcase . I've lost track of the number of times I've had the security inspection notice in a bag, but I've never arrived at my destination without the bag.

I agree that I have had notes put in my suitcase many times with no delays. However we do not pack wine anymore for checked luggage as running the risk of breakage and have wine all over the place. We are traveling out of Miami and there are so many places to pick up wine close by and just carry it on, thus lessoning the risk of having something broken.:o

We just plan on buying a few bottles in Miami, not bringing them across country.

Like I said, not planning on flying with wine!! For a 16 day cruise it would be nice if we could take 4 bottles on, 2 in carry on and 2 in our suitcase!!

-

Aussieflyer - Thanks for input on the wine list, I am glad to know there are choices in the $30-50 range.

Like I said, not planning on flying with wine!! For a 16 day cruise it would be nice if we could take 4 bottles on, 2 in carry on and 2 in our suitcase!!

-

Since you are driving then I would put 2 in each of your luggage and 2 each on carry on's

Just a reminder that if you are using your own wine in the restaurants (and I would think the Buffet as well) there is a corkage fee (it is listed on the AZ site but think it is about $25 a bottle). The aim of course is to ensure you buy their wine not BYO.

• 2 weeks later...

We have packed wine and liquor in our suitcases on almost every cruise and never had a problem. We always purchase it at our departure port and never check it on an airline. While we try to be discreet with our liquor bottles in our cabin, no room steward or butler has ever made an issue of it.

Sailing on a smaller ship may be different but we have always figured that getting 1,500 passengers off and 1,500 on made checking all the bags for a bottle of vodka would just be "too hard".

On Celebrity you can pre-purchase their "house wine" at a very reasonable price ($24) and it will be in your room when you board. The best thing about it is you can send it to the dining room and have it with dinner with no corkage! Beware - corkage for wine you bring aboard is $25 so it hardly is worth it unless you have a VERY expensive bottle. I am not sure about Azamara but have not been able to find a similar deal with them.

We have packed wine and liquor in our suitcases on almost every cruise and never had a problem. We always purchase it at our departure port and never check it on an airline. While we try to be discreet with our liquor bottles in our cabin, no room steward or butler has ever made an issue of it.

Sailing on a smaller ship may be different but we have always figured that getting 1,500 passengers off and 1,500 on made checking all the bags for a bottle of vodka would just be "too hard".

On Celebrity you can pre-purchase their "house wine" at a very reasonable price ($24) and it will be in your room when you board. The best thing about it is you can send it to the dining room and have it with dinner with no corkage! Beware - corkage for wine you bring aboard is $25 so it hardly is worth it unless you have a VERY expensive bottle. I am not sure about Azamara but have not been able to find a similar deal with them.

If you call Azamara the "house" Cabernet for gifts is $25 and the cruise documents indicate if the "guest receives a bottle of wine...from a family member or friend and that bottle was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift sections, then no corkage fee will apply if they wish to consume the bottle in the dining room or any other public area".

Archived