items to pack for 7 day cruise

ckr31

Things that I have found useful:

magnetic clips(good ones)-Since the walls on metal they are great hooks for clothes to dry out, etc. For some reason ships do not have enuf hooks!

Large clips(like the one used to bind together alot of papers where paper clips are too small- put three of them on the bottom of the shower curtain and that way you avoid the dreaded sticking to your body situation.

If you can, get some thin hangers and hang your clothes on them. When you pack just fold neatly into your suitcase and when you unpack on ship it will literally take you a couple of minutes to unpack.

Remember there is usually space in the front portion under your beds in your stateroom to store the suitcases after you unpack.

Have the steward remove your bedspread(if you have one) from your cabin. You really don't want it around believe me and it makes it easier for the steward to make your beds during the week too.

Oh, if you are the type of person that needs air circulation that you can feel, take along a fan. Also take along a extension cord as there is only one/two outlets and they are normally only at the desk area and you might need it.

Then there are the people who go all out with........two sided tape, duct tape, yellow marker for the program guide to mark what you want to do each day, deck of cards, cold remedies and other OTC possibilities,.

But just pack as you would for a land trip and you should be fine. Have a great cruise!

Pooh

One pair of shoes that match all your evening outfits. I have a pewter colored pair and They save me lots of space in my bag. One pair of flip flops for daytime. Wear your "walking around town" shoes onto the ship. After over-packing on my first few cruises I have learned my lesson.

With weight and space limitations for luggage if you are flying to the port, a 3 plug adapter serves well to add additional plug in space. Post it Notes, to write notes to the steward or your room mate. Small travel sized toiletries; first aid kit with cold remedy, pain reliever, band aids, neosporin for blisters and Mylanta or similar for tummy upset. Who wants to wait till the Medical Center opens for household remedies! Small roll of duck tape for tears, hems, suitcase mending - yes you might use it. Plastic Clips (Walmart about $2) for bottom of shower curtain and hanging wet things to dry in shower. Cable Ties for securing your luggage before boarding ship or airline. Better to be safe than sorry.

Packing hint; put dress clothes on light hangers with plastic dry cleaner bags over them. This does help prevent wrinkles. Pack socks or small things inside shoes, handbag, etc. Bring extra Quart Size Zip Lock bags for the return trip. Bring tote bag or back pack for days at port, bringing home souvenirs and packing poolside items. If you drink lots of water or coffee, bring your own refillable wide mouth water bottle (so you can fill with ice) or insulated coffee mug.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Another packing tip........try rolling your clothes instead of just folding. They don't get as wrinkled and you can fit more in your suitcase. Put stuff like shampoo, hairspray, etc. into those plastic freezer bags, this way if something spills it does not go all over your clothes. Check to see if you ship has on board laundry...I think most do now? This can safe you from packing enough for each day as you will be able to wash t shirts, underwear!

How about those fanny packs that you wear around your waist....keeps your hands and arms free from dragging a purse around when you are on an island and some will even hold your small digital camera.

If you have long hair......bands to put your hair in a ponytail as it can get very windy on deck when sailing and if you don't like your hair flying all over then just pull it back.

Two Battery powered essentials:

1) Clock w/backlight.

2) Night light for bathroom (top shelf). StickNClicks, for example.

http://www.amazon.com/Ontel-SCN-MC12-Stick-Click-Lights/dp/B000J0NL8O

Leave the adhesive cover on for reuse.

For really great packing tips, Ann McAlpin's Pack It Up:

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Up-Essential-Organized-Travel/dp/0962726338/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228400372&sr=8-1

If this is your first cruise, don't forget seasickness meds, just in case. I like Bonine more than Dramamine (doesn't make me as drowsy). Not a bad idea to bring some of those seasickness wrist bands, too. I hope you won't need any of this, but better safe than sorry!

Laundry detergent in zip lock bags (i prefer dropps for simplicity) if you plan to do any laundry http://www.dropps.com/shop.php?page=buy. Don't forget quarters and small bills ($1 and $5's when your in foreign ports)

I also find a multi outlet electrical addapter a necessity. I carry a lot of gadgets with me when I travel, cell phones, camera charger, etc and never seem to have enough electrical outlets.

For me a cheap cork screw and lobster cracker (for unlimited seafood night) essentials. Yes the lobster is cracked but not always enough for me.

In addition to some of these good tips, I would recommend picking up a hand scale. You may need to adjust your suitcase weight for all the additional stuff you buy on the cruise. You can get one at any luggage store for around $10.

REading everyone's threads--if you brought all that stuff, you'd be seriously overweight!

pack fewer clothes--there are washing machines if needed (although I never do laundry on vacation)

I packed disinfectant wipes--took one look at the room and went out and sat on the balcony. I could have spent an hour wiping surfaces and not hit every single one...and it only takes one germ....best idea: WASH YOUR HANDS (and avoid the buffet in my opinion)

We never used: duct tape, zip loc bags, power bar, post-it notes, corkscrew (we had boxed wine).

I've learned my lesson. PACK LIGHT!

Forget all the clips, extension cords, cards etc. We have never needed any of that stuff.

Bring money, credit card (phone card customer service first to tell them you are on international travel), passport, all medicines, boarding pass, camera with you in your carryon bag.

Don't forget camera battery charger. Bring plastic kitchen garbage bag(s) for dirty clothes. Bring swimsuit.

most "household remedies" (see below) can be bought at the gift shop onboard.

Lay out the clothes you think you need for the trip, thinking about mix and match. Then put about 1/3 back in the closet. Who cares if you wear the same thing twice? There's laundry onboard.

Laundry detergent in zip lock bags (i prefer dropps for simplicity) if you plan to do any laundry http://www.dropps.com/shop.php?page=buy. Don't forget quarters and small bills ($1 and $5's when your in foreign ports)

I also find a multi outlet electrical addapter a necessity. I carry a lot of gadgets with me when I travel, cell phones, camera charger, etc and never seem to have enough electrical outlets.

For me a cheap cork screw and lobster cracker (for unlimited seafood night) essentials. Yes the lobster is cracked but not always enough for me.

I LOVE the idea about a lobster cracker but unfortunately i have heard the Sea Princess does not have that special seafood night!!I will have to wait for another cruise.:)

Remember that you'll be returning with a lot more stuff than you came with. So the advice to pack light is good. You don't necessarily have to do laundry, you can send it out to be cleaned, pressed, and returned to your stateroom - for a price.

As the years go by, I take fewer and fewer things with me on vacation, especially when cruising. A couple t-shirts, a couple pairs of shorts, a bathing suit, a few pairs of socks, a couple hats, something to wear in the dining room, and some good shoes. Done.

Archived