Changing styles in these economic times

localady

As many of you know I am a cruiser that likes early traditional dining and to have a selected cabin. With current economic conditions, we decided to book late in the game and select a VF guarantee with open seating as traditional dining was not available.

It will be interested to see where in the DAM ship we end up. I know regardless of the location we will have a great time because of the folks we are cruising with.

Our last experience on the Oosterdam in November was stellar and far exceeded our expectations. :D :D It will be interesting to see how this next cruise compares.

Has anyone else tried something different and how did it compare to your usual experience??

First of all I hope that this does not come up as a double post! I hit the wrong submit button!

Early or late has always been fine with me. I went on the Westerdam last March and I had open. It was a nice experience! New people every night!

I have also done the Lido for dinner. I found it to be very nice as well. The tables are set up with tableclothes and candles. Wine and mixed drinks are served also.

I am on the Maasdam this Friday and have early assignment, but because of the port of calls schedule, I will most likely give it up to someone else and then I can either go open or to the lido.

I personally have never had bad service anywhere on a Holland America cruise!:)

Happy sails!

This could be an interesting thread, localady. Thanks for starting it.

We have not yet booked a different category due to the economy, but I absolutely see it coming. We've been spoiled with the S Suites, but will look at VA or lower if we cruise again next fall and can't find a real bargain on the suites. For us, part of the joy of cruising is being totally spoiled in those suites - and we know how fortunate we are to have always been in one.

We're retired, and a portion of our income is stock market based. Fortunately, that part is our travelling money and not our living expenses. Still, that income has been greatly reduced - and unless things change, our style of travel might have to.

But let me add ... we are every so thankful that we can travel at all.

We won't be cruising as often, unless the market kicks back up. And we normally cruise INSIDE cabins . . .

We did try HAL open dining after enjoying it on NCL, but thought (for the first and only time) that NCL had the system worked out better than HAL. We enjoyed the dining on HAL, but it wasn't as easy to get seated at a small table.

I agree, that this is a great thread idea. It will be interesting to read the posts and learn what others think.

:) ninkb

For us..... .....luckily, we have not been hurt too badly by the decline in the stock markets, so I don't see any changes for our intentions at this time because of money issues. However, we mostly cruise and travel on the more exotic routes. International events being what they are, Mrs Banjo is more hesitant to travel, ANYWHERE... ...so, we will likely stay closer to home and likely will spend less.

I to am very grateful to be able to travel at all, and hope the economy and the international situations improve in the comming months.

Has anyone else tried something different and how did it compare to your usual experience??

My first guarantee was due to going on a "guaranteed share" basis, so I guess that was doing something different in a big way! It went well enough that I did it again two more times. :)

I have since done a guarantee cabin once (worked well), and have again for the Noordam cruise in January. I couldn't get my cabin category choice in a location I liked, so I figured I can't do worse, and might get an upgrade---so I rolled the dice.

But switch from fixed seating to open? Not on your life. :rolleyes:

Our problem hasn't been the market, however, when our final payment came due on our cruise in February, it came with a $1,200 premium because of the falling Canadian dollar. We cancelled the cruise with hopes that the dollar will rebound or the fares get reduced as we get closer to our sailing date. The economy has thrown a lot of assumptions out the window. When America sneezes... Canada catches a cold!!

Thanks for your responses.:D :D

RuthC- This is the Yummers cruise and many of us have elected "As You Wish". I am personally hoping the group can get a set time and waitstaff downstairs. I will let you know how it goes!

Today I saw the flip side of our economic woes on cruising...falling prices.;) :D In my case the cost of an SY is now cheaper than the VD we had booked on the Westerdam in early Sept. 2009. I noticed it on the HAL website today and called my TA asap who confirmed that we'd been moved to an SY and the cruise would be cheaper by $100 dollars.

I do recommend you all check your summer 2009 pricing if you booked before now.

Often when you try something new, something you are worried you won't enjoy, you have the best time ever.

I too had AYWD on my last cruise, and I tried going into it with an open mind, but absolutely knew I would hate it. Surprisingly, I wouldn't think of cruising any other way now. I liked it that much. It gave me the flexibility I needed to eat when I wanted to (I'm not a real big foodie, and if I'm not hungry I see no reason to eat). I also met several new people since unless I was eating with friends onboard and we had specifically booked a table for two in advance, I was always seated with others.

I also discovered the joys of Lido dining. It's actually wonderful ... and most importantly fast. The problem with the dining room is that a meal takes usually at least two hours, and the Lido was wonderful for those nights when I didn't feel like investing two hours in dinner. Service was wonderful, and the food was pretty much the same as one would enjoy in the dining room on the same evening.

This past cruise of mine was without a doubt the best cruise I have ever taken, and that's probably in large part because I kept an open mind about trying something new and not going into it with my mind made up that I would hate it. It was also due to the fact that I sailed with two dear friends that I hadn't seen in close to two years.

Enjoy your cruise, and all the wonderful meals you will enjoy on a wonderful HAL ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We tried the AYWD on the Oosterdam for our cruise this past October. Thought it would be nice to have the flexibility. We had done it on our Princess cruise the year before and hated it because the service was poor and we didn't feel we got a very good wait staff - sort of like they were training.

The Oosterdam changed all of that for us. Our experience was that it was wonderful!! Never had to wait, service staff was excellent, the whole dinner flowed very well. And this was "walk in" service. We never did make a reservation or request a specific table.

Our next cruise will be with 4 other people and we're doing AYWD again.

We had a VF guarantee on the Oosterdam last Dec. and were upgraded to VA! We have tried open seating on our last 2 cruises and were pleased. Several times we left our dress clothes at home and dined at the Lido every night, savoring the extra time we had to use the jacuzzi or lounge on the back deck and look at the stars!:)

Karen

We haven't had to change our travel holidays yet. The downturn in the economy has actually helped those plans as travel has become more affordable. While we haven't been hit personally (besides the portfolio which we hope will recover before and if we need it) we are always aware that the time may come. We have several friends who are builders who have had to file for bankruptcy:eek:. Our time with our children is so limited and we want them to have as many opportunities to see the world now before they have work and financial limitations placed on them.

As many of you know I am a cruiser that likes early traditional dining and to have a selected cabin. With current economic conditions, we decided to book late in the game and select a VF guarantee with open seating as traditional dining was not available.

It will be interested to see where in the DAM ship we end up. I know regardless of the location we will have a great time because of the folks we are cruising with.

Our last experience on the Oosterdam in November was stellar and far exceeded our expectations. :D :D It will be interesting to see how this next cruise compares.

:D We had a similar experinece on the same cruise.

We started by booking a VF Guarantee and ended up with an offer to upgrade to a suite for $99. It didn't take long to make that decision!

We shared the experience of a wonderful cruise that exceeded our expectations.

Jim

We're looking to increase the number of trips we take in 2009. The pricing is too good to ignore. This being said, we're downgrading from balcony to inside cabins on most cruises and only booking the very best deals.

Our travel budget for 2009 will be about $2000 less than it was for 2008, but with more cruises.

Our problem hasn't been the market, however, when our final payment came due on our cruise in February, it came with a $1,200 premium because of the falling Canadian dollar. We cancelled the cruise with hopes that the dollar will rebound or the fares get reduced as we get closer to our sailing date. The economy has thrown a lot of assumptions out the window. When America sneezes... Canada catches a cold!!

Hi powderhorn

Just a suggestion

Why dont you try booking your cruise through a Canadian TA in Canadian $. Thats what we have just done, originally we booked through US in $ cancelled booked through Uk in £'s Its not as cheap as the US payment but its a lot less than paying in dollars, our £ is very low too we have caught the flu. Sorry to go off the thread

Sher, we are doing totally opposite in a B2B :D The first week we will be in a SA across from the Neptune with fixed early dining like we prefer. The second week we go to a HH Guarantee (Obstructed view) with Open seating for dining. I have no idea how the cards are going to land but it should be interesting for several different reasons ;) So I will definitely report back the differences. I am bringing my lap top and plan to do a LIVE from the Eurodam thread, although I do not know how much posting I will do the 2nd week:)

We're debating doing an S guarantee or a G for our next cruise. I know, big difference in category! But it's our 25th wedding anniversary and we've never done an S before, so our TA is on the lookout for the best price she can find. Since we're planning on the Oosterdam to Mexico and been there done that, we thought we'd rather splurge on the better cabin. But if money gets too tight, then we'll probably end up in a G cabin (or thereabouts).

As for dinner, I can't WAIT to try anytime dining!!! How nice not to be told when to eat and with whom.

Sher, we are doing totally opposite in a B2B :D The first week we will be in a SA across from the Neptune with fixed early dining like we prefer. The second week we go to a HH Guarantee (Obstructed view) with Open seating for dining. I have no idea how the cards are going to land but it should be interesting for several different reasons ;) So I will definitely report back the differences. I am bringing my lap top and plan to do a LIVE from the Eurodam thread, although I do not know how much posting I will do the 2nd week:)

Thanks Lisa-

In many ways I've got to believe it will be the same, just wonderful, in both instances as I am on the sea on a DAM ship! ;)

Looking forward to your reports!! :D

:D We had a similar experinece on the same cruise.

We started by booking a VF Guarantee and ended up with an offer to upgrade to a suite for $99. It didn't take long to make that decision!

We shared the experience of a wonderful cruise that exceeded our expectations.

Jim

Jim- That would be an offer I'd not refuse either!!;) :D

Hi powderhorn

Just a suggestion

Why dont you try booking your cruise through a Canadian TA in Canadian $. Thats what we have just done, originally we booked through US in $ cancelled booked through Uk in £'s Its not as cheap as the US payment but its a lot less than paying in dollars, our £ is very low too we have caught the flu. Sorry to go off the thread

Great advice! I had started exploring just that and it seems HAL may be discounting some fares to compensate for the exchange rate. The rates in CDN from CDN TAs seem to be only slightly higher than the US quotes, thus I am seeing about $800 advantage to booking the same fares in CDN versus US!.... we are now just confirming what to do and when to do it....cheers :)

Archived