Camo shorts in the Caribbean and Cozumel?

lbg

We are going to the western Caribbean on the Mariner in a week and a half. My husband loves camo pants. He wears them all the time. I think that most of the shorts he packed are camo. Is this going to be a problem? Someone posted that you could be arrested for wearing camo in the Caribbean and South American countries. Has anyone had problems with wearing camo?

He can be rather stubborn (what man can't be) and is picky about his clothes. I will give him a copy of this post and tell him that if he chooses to wear them off ship then he is on his own.:p It may take him being sent back to change to get his attention, but I hope not!

Thanks for your help.

They sure do enforce it in Barbados. We went scuba diving, left early, daughter wore a sweatshirt over her rashguard. After the dive, the Dive operator saw her camo rashguard (with huge "Billabong" across the front and back) and refused to let her off of his diveboat wearing it. He told us that he would be fined, and we would also be fined and possibly do time. Our dive master said that if he had known she was wearing it (under the sweatshirt), he would have sent her back to the ship to change.

This is a 13 year old girl, I could only imagine what they would do to a grown man. Could ruin a nice vacation. If he's that attached to camo, how about some camo boxers to wear around the cabin.

I am hoping that I will get enough replys to convince him! The places that I worry about the most is Jamaica and maybe Cozumel. His swimming suits aren't camo but I'm sure that almost all of his shorts are (he packs his own clothes...heaven forbid I do it). He loves to go shopping so maybe that will be incentive to get something besides camo.

DH (D doesn't stand for dear in this case) thinks that I am obsessing about this. He says we are not going to Barbados so he doesn't need to worry about it. He says that since the cruise line "tells" you what to wear for formal night and such that if camo was a problem that they would have told us.

I guess he will have to find out the hard way...somehow saying I told you so won't be enough! :mad:

I wouldn't just be concerned about the laws in certain Caribbean countries as it pertains to camo pants/shorts. I would be concerned about the scare it would cause your fellow passengers. I would freak if I saw a person moving around the ship with no legs!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sounds like he doesn't believe us!!! :eek: It's more serious than just a fashion crime.

Here are a couple of outside sites you can refer him to:

1. Don't pack camouflage clothing: many Caribbean countries, like Trinidad & Tobago, Barbados, and Dominica, prohibit civilians from wearing camouflage.

from: http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/beforeyougo/ht/Caribbeanpackin.htm

Military clothing and fashion

Major designers have always adapted khaki and camouflage and other features of military clothing in their designs. All the major clothing labels have at some time expressed an influence from the military in their clothing ranges and this has seeped down the fashion ladder into the high street. But there are some countries in the world where wearing your camouflage jacket could land you in jail or even shot at.

Non military personnel

Caribbean nations such as Barbados and Aruba have strict laws against non-military personnel wearing camouflage military clothing. It’s a concern if you are a tourist who is unaware of the regulations – as tourists are not exempt from this law.

The laws exist because of the existence of insurgents in the region – anyone wearing combat gear and military clothing is assumed to be a rebel.

http://www.johnbullclothing.com/fashion_police.asp

DH (D doesn't stand for dear in this case) thinks that I am obsessing about this. He says we are not going to Barbados so he doesn't need to worry about it. He says that since the cruise line "tells" you what to wear for formal night and such that if camo was a problem that they would have told us.

I guess he will have to find out the hard way...somehow saying I told you so won't be enough! :mad:

No offense, but it seems like he may need a fashion adjustment as well. Not sure about the love of Camo. But to each his own....

We are going to the western Caribbean on the Mariner in a week and a half. My husband loves camo pants. He wears them all the time. I think that most of the shorts he packed are camo. Is this going to be a problem? Someone posted that you could be arrested for wearing camo in the Caribbean and South American countries. Has anyone had problems with wearing camo?

Have him buy some khakis. Most Caribbean and South American countries prohibit wearing camouflage of any kind by adults and children. It is illegal and you can be denied entry and/or arrested.

The threat of terrorism is very high and many thugs wear camouflage. There is no "second chance" here.

He can be rather stubborn (what man can't be) and is picky about his clothes. I will give him a copy of this post and tell him that if he chooses to wear them off ship then he is on his own.:p It may take him being sent back to change to get his attention, but I hope not!

Thanks for your help.

It's important that you impress upon him that he has no protection from law enforcement in other countries. He can be stubborn all he wants at home. When he enters a foreign country, however, he is expected to follow the customs, courtesies and laws of that country.

You will also read this information in the daily information "newspapers" that come to your cabin every day.

He'll need to leave his "I'm an American and can do what I want"...at home or onthe ship.

Tell him that it is the traveler's responsibility - at all times - to know about travel restrictions. The cruise company is not his Mama and will not babysit him. ALL cruiseline publish this information in their ticket/passenger contract. It is up to HIM, the grown up, to make himself aware of the customs of the countries visited.....

Here, from Carnival's contract......which is similar to others:

b) Carnival’s vessels visit numerous ports in a number of countries. Guests assume responsibility for their own safety and Carnival cannot guarantee Guest’s safety at any time. The United States Department of State, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other governmental and tourist organizations regularly issue advisories and warnings to travelers and Carnival strongly recommends Guests obtain and consider such information when making travel decisions. Carnival assumes no responsibility for gathering said information. The Guest acknowledges that the cruise may be booked in a location that is susceptible to severe weather systems, including but not limited to, hurricanes, tropical storms and depressions, and that Carnival reserves the right to alter the ship’s course, ports of call, itinerary, activity and shore excursions to avoid such weather systems and insure the comfort and safety of the Guest and crew.

You might tell him that this is not the time to "make a stand" for personal civil rights. He is not protected by our Constitution in another country.

Mirror mirror on the wall he is his father after all!!

I tried to tell him that but he thinks I am being obsessive and overreacting.:eek:

Well, then, when you go ashore, make sure you take your passports, your cell phone and credit cards. This will make it possible for you to pay his legal expenses, bail him out, pay any fines, call home and be able to buy an airline ticket to leave that country. You might want to purchase trip insurance that would cover any medical bills that might accrue if he's injured during his arrest - or shot at.

I found a few of our old "Compasses" from our last trip. It does actually say on the bottom of the first page that Camouflage attire is not allowed for those going ashore. I wish I could scan it for you and post it ( but my 14 year old already went to school)!

Maybe you want to book your own excursions? ~Bugs

I'm so glad i've been looking at these boards - we are from the uk and going on our first cruise on EOS in Feb 09 and first trip to the caribbean I had no idea this was an issue.:eek:

We are visiting St Thomas, St Maarten, Dominica, Barbados and Antigua - i'm guessing from what i've read DH shouldn't wear his camo shorts in Barbados what about the other islands?:confused:

To the OP, I cannot recall which port it was, but on our last cruise we were emphatically told by the cruise line not to wear any camo off the ship; ports were Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. Don't know if this is enough to convince your stubborn husband, probably not.

Since your husband is going to be such a patootie about proving the point, don't waste any more energy on this, just take one pair of plain shorts for him in your luggage. Give yourself enough extra time to allow him go back to change, but 'trade' him the plain pants at the last minute. As in he has to agree to buy you some decent jewelry at one of the stores before you agree to give him the pants. Oh yeah, it works, :p. And every time you wear that necklace or ring or bracelet he's gonna remember it, too.

I'm so glad i've been looking at these boards - we are from the uk and going on our first cruise on EOS in Feb 09 and first trip to the caribbean I had no idea this was an issue.:eek:

We are visiting St Thomas, St Maarten, Dominica, Barbados and Antigua - i'm guessing from what i've read DH shouldn't wear his camo shorts in Barbados what about the other islands?:confused:

I know Dominca and Antigua are also a problem. http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=76000 , http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=10000 St. Thomas is OK, being a US port. Could not find anything either way on St. Maarten, but realize it is also St. Martin, and that side has its own laws.

(St. Kitts & Nevis, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, Antigua, Barbuda, St Vincent & Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica are known to prohibit camo clothing or articles--there may be more, but that is what I found in checking State dept websites for US and Canada)

Thanks so much for your advice - DH is a farmer so has had to buy a whole new summer wardrobe including 2 really nice pairs of camo shorts - will it be ok to wear them on the boat do you think or is he likely to offend people on there too?:confused:

Archived