If there were a Fast Food restaurant.....

Bran8778

As a very particular eater who seeks out the familiar and eschews the opposite, I don't need haute cuisine/unfamiliar food to give me a sense of place - I do that with the place's music, literature, art and history; in which I am fairly well versed prior to my visit.

I am often criticized by my lack of "adventure" in food. I always politely reply with "So how many continents have you visited (I'll soon set foot on my 7th) and when is the last time you parasailed or hang glided?"

If Johnny Rockets is fast food, then absolutely yes! JRs is actually kind of special for me and my wife. It goes back to when we were dating, so it was fun to go there when we were on AOS. It's not something to do all the time when you've got good food all around. Although as I write this onion rings and a shake sound pretty darn tempting....

-Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

No I really don;t see the point of it. On our cruise we had a burger/dog joing on one of hte decks & a pizzeria which served excellent Italian style pizzax, all available as an alternative to teh DR or buffet, so I never felt short of choices to eat for free. I doubt if a FF franchise would be free to cruisers, I really don't understand why one would pay for a sloppy FF burger when they can cen get one for free on Princess. Call me frugal :) We rarely eat FF on land anyhow. If I had such a craving, I think I'd look for something in Port.

I'm going to have to ask the JRs people to put one in Youngstown, OH :)

If you don't mind driving a little, there is a JR in Strongsville at the South Park Mall. It isn't too far from the turnpike. I have only been there a few times, but was hooked once I tried them while on a conference trip to Indianapolis. Their JR was also in a mall.

• 3 weeks later...
If you don't mind driving a little, there is a JR in Strongsville at the South Park Mall. It isn't too far from the turnpike. I have only been there a few times, but was hooked once I tried them while on a conference trip to Indianapolis. Their JR was also in a mall.

Thanks Norway!! When I go, What should have???

• 1 month later...
......if it was an In-N-Out.....

They rawk, and there isn't one where I live....

:):):):)

Think of your girlish figure Alice. ;) I think that they were expanding in NorCal, but with the economy being what it is who knows? We have a couple in Sac. It looks like the Vegas guy might be willing to ship his to your town. :D

Steve

If there where fast food chains on board not only would dry land be dominated by fast food chains but ships would be as well.

Aaargh, what a terrible thought. I doubt that they would do sufficient business to make it worth while, I hope. After all, who wants a diet of fast food when there are so many other choices available? Even the people who were interested indicated that it would only be maybe once on a trip.

Steve

Well, frankly, after seeing some of the burgers that are served poolside/buffets maybe having a real burger franchise on board might not be such a bad idea on the large ships... We scoff at them but they sure know how to serve massive amounts of them in a short period of time which the burger stands on board seem to have a bit more trouble with.

I totally agree with you. The burgers on board are not very good.

I would love some McDonalds for a late night snack on a cruise!

Looking forward to Johnny Rocket's, we don't have them here in Scotland. Visited a few in California and really enjoyed the atmosphere and food.

I wouldn't use any of the major fast food chains on a cruise ship, McD's, BK etc.

As much as I enjoy testing unfamiliar waters, I enjoy and sometimes even crave the familiar.

I would imagine that, given about 50% of today's cruising public could care less about formal dining, those same 50% would love to have a place on the ship where they could grab a familiar lunch in a bag and eat in a place of their choosing. The most popular would, of course, be McDonalds. The trick would be to have the same product consistently as they do on land. This would be a challange for any cruise line.

I'd have to vote "yes" on this one, as long as it in no way affected the formal dining option.

• 2 months later...

I think any "chain" restaurant food on a ship takes away from the experience. Why go on a cruise to eat what you can get at home? If there's a particular type of food you enjoy and can't absolutely do without or you'll die:eek:, then choose your cruise based on a ship that offers that particular food in its menus. Otherwise, save your fast food or diner jones for when you get home.

If there's a particular type of food you enjoy and can't absolutely do without or you'll die:eek:, then choose your cruise based on a ship that offers that particular food in its menus. Otherwise, save your fast food or diner jones for when you get home.

Had to laugh at this. I hear people say things like that all the time! "I'll die without McDonalds" or "I couldn't survive a week without Burger King!"

Ummmm...then you've got big problems!

But the one's that really kill me are; "my kids will only eat (chicken fingers, burgers, pizza etc.)." Wow. When I was growing up (not that long ago, 1980s) I didn't get a vote. My, how times have changed.

Only if the fast food restaurant was a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop. I love all the food on the cruise, but Krispy Kreme doughnuts are a weakness of mine that I only indulge in on vacation. It is a requisite stop whenever my family goes to the beach, and if Krispy Kreme were to join up with Carnival, I'd enjoy my cruises even more.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Only if the fast food restaurant was a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop. I love all the food on the cruise, but Krispy Kreme doughnuts are a weakness of mine that I only indulge in on vacation. It is a requisite stop whenever my family goes to the beach, and if Krispy Kreme were to join up with Carnival, I'd enjoy my cruises even more.:D

We had a KK in town, but it closed :( They built a brand new building, and it only lasted a few years..

Archived