Sky Suite vs. FV 8181 on Constellation

Mags65

I need help! I will spare you the details, but because of a "misunderstanding" with Celebrity, my husband and I now have our choice, on the Constellation, of FV 8181 or a Sky Suite to be determined. The price would be the same. We really want the extra amenities of the suite, but I understand that 8181 is really a great cabin. Are there "bad" Sky Suites, which would make a switch to the unknown unadviseable? Any advice is truly appreciated. This is our first cruise, and or honeymoon.

Our family had an FV on the Summit this past summer, and can't say that we were thrilled with it. We were in some friends' sky suite and really liked that for two people. If given the choice as a couple, we will take the suite over the FV.

Definitely take FV 8181. We have stayed in that same room and it is wonderful - so huge. Not only is it a FV cabin which is so big and has the great feature of being "almost" 2 rooms, 8181 is on the outside edge and has the HUGE, HUGE balcony. You can't believe what great views this balcony gives you - can see all the way up the side of the boat, all the way around the back, etc. Snap up FV 8181 while you can - wish I could get it! We always have to book a year in advance to get these "outside" FV cabins.

One thing to consider is the location of the cabin. If you think you may easily get seasick, you will want to avoid cabins at the front or back end of the vessel. If this is a consideration, I would ask where the sky suite is. I believe the 8181 is at the stern (back).

Scott

This is Rix's wife, Heather. I like both! I would pick the sky suite if a bathtub is really important, they are nice, especially for Alaska itineraries. The cabins are very nice in the sky suite as are the ammenities. If you really want an open feeling in the cabin with a large vanity and relatively large bathroom, pick the sky suite.

However, FV8181 has a long hallway for extra storage and a large sitting room that is separated from the bedroom. The "bedroom" part is a little small. What makes up for it is the HUGE deck. It is just about as big as the cabin. We haven't had this cabin yet - as Rix mentioned we are going in December (which I booked 15 months ago just to get this cabin), but we had a friend on the Summit a couple of years ago that had one, so we checked it out. (He actually hosted a party of about 30 people and we all fit fine..)

The balcony completely wraps around the back and side with some shaded areas and some sunny areas. There are lounge chairs and a table with chairs.

Also, you can still get the CC service just by asking the Cabin Steward (and giving an extra tip).

Lastly, you can take virtual tours of the cabin at http://www.travelocity.com under cruises. I don't know if they have the IPIX for the Constellation but you can view another Millenium class (Millenium, Infinity, Summitt).

Hope this helps,

Heather

I agree with Seagams--we had an FV on Summit & some friends had a SS. After visiting us, they were sorry they had the SS!!! We would never trade an FV for a SS on a M class ship!!! The 2 rooms & the huge balconies just make the world of difference to us!!! BUT.....if a larger bathroom is more important than a large balcony---do the SS!!!

Thanks so much to everone who replied! I have done much of my cruise research on this site and am amazed at how generous everyone is with their time and experience. We decided on 8181, and we can't wait! We sail November 20.

Also, wanted to say that the "misunderstanding" was probably mostly my fault, and that Celebrity was great about wanting to make us happy; very professional and courteous.

Also, you can still get the CC service just by asking the Cabin Steward (and giving an extra tip).

Hope this helps,

Heather

Really really really? I've asked that question and haven't been able to get a response. If that works out I will be SOOOO happy. So just ask the room steward? I'll gladly tip extra! :)

Mags enjoy...we have 8181 on the Summit leaving Dec 6...I can't wait! I promise I'll take lots of pics. Although there are some good pics out there of the corner FV rooms. If you haven't seen them, let me know and I'll try to find the links for you.

I'm not even going to read the other responses in this thread because this is a very simple answer for us.

We have stayed in 8181 on Summit (we were actually very fortunate to do so) twice -- once in the Caribbean and once in Alaska. We would take this room hands down over any other room on the ship! We had friends in a Celebrity suite on one of our Summit cruises and we liked 8181 far better!

OK....I had to go back and read the other posts....I see that you selected 8181. You won't be disappointed!

Congratulations on your wedding! Have a wonderful cruise!!!!!!!!!!! And a fabulous honeymoon!

:)

Archived