TA-DA!! The Wind

duct tape

Well, it is a work in progress. Lots completed but lots left to do. This will be short because I am using a computer that belongs to staff/crew. There is no internet, no newspapers, the 9th floor is not yet open so we are awaiting the Preview of the Spa, Gym and Observation Lounge in a few days. There is an elevator on the pool deck to go up! The pastels are gone. It is now darker and bolder soft goods and wooden accents. All new art work on the walls. As I said details later, since I don't want to keep someone from their computer! Everyone is in good spirits, well fed and well watered. There are only 130 folks aboard and 20 or so !st timers. They are most gracious and patient. The crew has worked very hard and they are proud of what has been accomplished. Later. OH yea! All the bathrooms have been redone and there are new tubs, raised sinks, smaller shelves and dark composite marble-type material, the marble is gone!! Later.

oops...no camera! Today we are in a new country for SS, The Gambia. Very poor but very lively, colorful and friendly. Very pleasant day as compared to Dakar, Senegal, yesterday. Most of the work contractors were off-loaded yesterday and they used a crane to take boxes, junk, trash, etc off the roof! The Jean Anne Ryan production show debuted last night and it was fairly OK, good tunes. Later.

I do not see any major mea culpas, monetarily, in the near future for this cruise. As I stated, all seem to be in good spirits and we are being well taken care of. There are only 130 people so lots of room to go elsewhere. If that changes, I will let you know. Another detail I noticed today. In the lobbies of decks 5 & 6, there was a central planter surrounded by a sofa. They are gone, the floors are open and there are multiple, large, built in sofas around the perimeter. One point of grumbling for some guests and some Officers and crew is the missing logo on the stack. The ship now says "SILVERSEA", sans logo. I think they should use it to dot the i. We still have no internet and probably will not get any until CapeTown. Some folks never received their luggage (18 day cruise)and will just claim it in time to return home! That is if it gets to Capetown! Entertainer John Bowles boarded yesterday in the Gambia and he never got his luggage either. We now have 4 seadays to BomBom Island. I am on the concierge's desk so I better relinquish this machine. Later.

Hello Duct Tape!

I am anxiously awaiting your posts as my husband and I board in Mauritius on January 3. I am hoping that everything will be completed and shiny new.

I did hear some rumors about Silversea considering changing their logo. Perhaps this is why the stack only bears "Silversea"?

Safe travels to you.

Thanks for the live comments, Duct Tape. I'll be anxious to get back on the ship next Christmas. Seems like a long ways off.

I don't think anyone posted the press release, here it is:

Silversea’s Silver Wind Completes Major Transformation

Published on: December 11, 2008

Silversea Cruises has just put the finishing touches on a multimillion-dollar renovation of Silver Wind. Undertaken over the past month during a dry-dock at the San Giorgio shipyard in Genoa, Italy, the refurbishment of Silver Wind included a refreshed décor with touches of natural cherry wood, russet and golden tones. A centerpiece of the project was the addition of a 60-seat Observation Lounge, spa, beauty salon and fitness center on the forward section of Deck 9, altering the ship’s exterior appearance with floor-to-ceiling windows that wrap around the new space. A new two-floor, glass-enclosed elevator was also installed connecting Decks 8 and 9.

“We’re delighted with the results of this major renovation,” said Amerigo Perasso, Silversea president and CEO. “Silver Wind has a refreshed look and feel, yet the ship retains her elegance and charm throughout. The company has made an important investment to bring this vessel in line with the style and design themes that are planned for our new ship, Silver Spirit, currently under construction. With these enhancements, our guests are sure to enjoy a renewed sense of luxury and comfort aboard Silver Wind. Despite the challenging economic environment, our company is showing a strong commitment with this important investment. This is clearly a difficult and unpredictable time and while our business is not immune, we have the strength of our assets, brand and management team that position us well in the long term.”

Accommodating 298 guests, Silver Wind’s 149 ocean-view suites range in size from 240 to 1,314 square feet with 80 percent now featuring a private veranda. Suite modifications include four of the always-in-demand Silver Suites added on Deck 8, an Owner’s Suite with a connecting second-bedroom suite added on Deck 7, one Medallion Suite added on Deck 7, one Vista Suite added on Deck 7, fixed queen beds in larger suites have been replaced with convertible twin-to-queen beds, custom-built TV cabinets added to all Vista and Veranda Suites and new flat-screen TVs. All suites also received new sofas, armchairs, desks, vanity, night tables, headboard, carpets, drapes and bed coverings. The bathrooms were updated with new fixtures, bathtubs, new marble countertops, walls and flooring.

The new spa, which encompasses the beauty salon and fitness center, occupies over 650 additional square feet following the renovation. The expanded spa features a reception area, four massage rooms, one body treatment room, one dry sauna and one steam sauna. The new fitness center includes a body-building room and separate aerobics room, both offering ocean views. Other ship enhancements include new upholstery, curtains, wall treatments, carpets and/or flooring in the restaurants, public lounges, lobbies, stairs and corridors. The first guests to experience the Silver Wind enhancements are sailing on a Dec. 2 Las Palmas-to-Cape Town cruise, an 18-day voyage calling in the Cape Verde Islands, Dakar, Banjul, Bom Bom Island and Walvis Bay. For more information, call 877-215-9986 or visit www.silversea.com.

We are joining the Wind in Mobassa and like others, it was a little discerting to find that the refurbishment had not been concluded. We are due to join January 28th(?) so am hoping all will be ship shape.

Any update or photos even would be useful and if you have been on before whether you see the refurb as an improvement.

This cruise takes us to Zanzibar and Madagasgar and to the Seychelles where we stay on for another week - any views on the excursions available would be appreciated.

well, i'm on, not impressed with ship...

impressed with speakers...

room had light burned out,

room temp is warm as engines not running,

room steward did not bring brand of soaps as offered and requested (it IS their marketing pitch),

reading lights above couch/sleeper do not work,

lcd tv needs to tilt down to viewer so colors appear true, and not darkened by too steep of a viewing angle,

carpets/colors very nice

stage/theater is beautiful, too, tho not sure if new, or new to me...

crew bends over backwards to be accommodating and learning your name

colin brown, cruise director, very nice...

new forward observation deck is fantastic and stunningly beautiful... colin brown said it was just finished today, 12/20, due to poor weather on cruise down atlantic coast,

new spa/exercise/massuse area is just as wonderful,

new lift is encased in semicircular glass/stainless steel casing on pool deck to observation deck on level 9, not placed in forward sections of cabin areas as previously discussed...

met PETER HAWTHORNE at the crew introduction... very nice and knowledgeable gentleman... he had diner with us, a great wide ranging and spirited conversation was enjoyed by all... he also brought some south african wines for the somelier(sp) (silvia from croatia?).

looking forward to learning bridge for beginners...

have not met 'duct tape' yet, tho i think she and hubby were in my elevator ride to upper levels...

MEA CULPA:

The ship is wonderful, the crew and staff are beautiful and wonderful.

I have been blessed to have a new home, and my eyes have been over-tuned to notice itty bitty details.

Any small errors are just that, small errors.

I consider silversea my host, and a grand host at that.

duct tape and wpbfjr: Thank you kindly for the descriptions, please keep your postings coming on this board. What did they do to the cabin bathroom? Is the furnishing (desk, cupboard, centre table, chairs, bed, etc) new? Where do they put the new LCD TV, still next to the curtain on the "sitting area" side like before?

Good morning, all. Take a deep breathe of the wonderful air and relax. You are on holiday!! No, I was not on the elevator with you...but we are bound to see each other at the pool bar maybe? The bathrooms are completely new, except for the toilet itself. Since they did not move it, the redesign was not any different, just new facilities and colors. New tubs, new sink that is not very useful but very attractive. It is raised with a swan neck faucet that shoots the water all over the very small counter. The wall material is a synthetic marble-like substance, a light brown background with a darker brown splotches. All of the ship has new carpeting, again dark and very difficult to keep clean. I finally made it to 9 and was disappointed. The Beauty Shop has no windows and that does not bode well for staff or guests. The gym is OK, with floor to ceiling windows. The Observation Lounge is definitely male - lots of gray furniture but not warm and inviting...but there is a terrific view! The crew has done a phenomenal job of cleaning up and getting the drydock process into history. There are still things to be done, but nothing that should inconveneince the guests. We are full this segment, so folks who have no idea what they have been through or newcomers who cannot compare old and new, all have legitimate opinions. I know that someone only gets one chance to make a first impression and it may not have been the best timing for you. I wish you a great trip and get outside!! It is beautiful today. See the rest of you when you get here.

Thank you kindly for the information. So from what has been posted, the drydock renovations do not sound as impressive as the cruise line has claimed!

meow,

we are due to sail on the Wind on Feb 14th for a month (Mahe to Dubai).

I will try to put in my 2 cents' worth (after I get home in late April)

Hi Paul...

We'll be joining you in Mahe up until Madras.

See you there Craig. The weather should be a lot nicer than what you have now in Chicago.

Can't wait!

BTW, do you know why they are listing so few shore excursions? Maybe more can be booked onboard?

Paul

Meow, the changes are very different from the "old" Wind. I think the best changes are in the Terrace. There are many more tables for 2 since most people don't want to chitchat with strangers over breakfast...even tho' some do. I don't do mornings well. The work stations are moved out of the center and the Roman shades are very nice. I may not like the colors on the rest pf the ship but at least nothing looks shabby anymore.

Looks like the ship is going to be crowded when we get to Mombasa and the Seychelles, folks! We should all meet for a drink! Off to safari today. We are in Port Elizabeth and we will reboard in East London. Captain decided to alter the schedule due to a weather report for tonight...sounds like a good night to be off on safari!

See you there Craig. The weather should be a lot nicer than what you have now in Chicago.

Can't wait!

BTW, do you know why they are listing so few shore excursions? Maybe more can be booked onboard?

Paul

Hi Paul

I noticed that as well...primarily private transport and the like. I just assumed it was because the places we're stopping have limited tourist infrastructure?

Hi Paul

I noticed that as well...primarily private transport and the like. I just assumed it was because the places we're stopping have limited tourist infrastructure?

Hi Craig,

I don't think that is the reason. Before you could book them, I looked through the tours offered in the past on these itineraries and there were quite a few choices in all ports. I am not sure if you can stil access those choices as the excursions are now "bookable".

Craig,

If you go to voyage 2907 (Mumbai to Dubai) and click on shore excursions, you can get a list of excursions offered in the past (as these are not bookable yet). The list is 5 pages long. The list for the previous ports from the past cruises was as long and varied as well.

Archived