Mykonos & Delos

We just went to the center of town where there are several different agencies selling boat tickets to Delos. Picked one and got tickets for the next boat over. No need to pre-reserve. Highly recommend going to Delos. We went all over the island and had a great time. Didn't have much time left to explore Mykonos though so I can't speak to that.

how much was the ticket to Delos?

how long were you there? is there a set time the ferry comes back, or can you just hop on any ferry?

was seeing Delos without a guide ok? As in did you have trouble trying to figure out what you were looking at?

You do not need a guide to see Delos. I had a guide book that told the history and about the major parts of the ruins. You can easily navigate on your own.

I can't remember the exact cost, but I know I didn't think it was too expensive. There were 4 of us, and I am thinking it was maybe 20 euros per person, but I've been a lot of places since so could be wrong.

There are a couple of ferry companies. You are supposed to return on the same one you came on, and the times are listed, but we came back on the last one of the day. There were some people who had bought tickets with one of the other companies but missed that ferry and were on ours.

I'm sure the ferry guys all know each other and work it out. There are no services at night on Delos, so you don't want to get stranded (besides missing your ship being a huge problem).

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be visiting Mykonos on July 2nd via Brilliance of the Seas. There are five in our group (four adults and one child). We'd like to visit some family friendly beaches, restaurants and local sights. We are thinking about renting a car. Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

chester

I would be leery of pre-booking anything in advance for Mykonos. It is often totally missed due to high winds, as was our situation in Oct '08.

The Captain tried twice to go in, about midnight, then again about 5 am, but felt the winds were just too dangerous so we skipped the port totally.

You really don't need a car--it is a very small island and you will be right in the town on the waterfront. The town is really quaint and you can just meander up and down the winding streets. Good shopping and restaurants all over the place. There is a beach right there--although we were there in November and no one was using it. It's one of the easiest ports ever for doing on your own. However, IMO Delos is not to be missed--amazing history and completely deserted, so you can really get a sense of what life must have been like 'back when'. Not like going to the Acropolis with 5 million of your closest friends living below.

When I was in Mykonos in 1998 I bought a beautiful and for me very extravagant gold Greek Key necklace for $2000. A whopping amount of money. Found the same shop in November, and a similar necklace is selling now for $10,000 euros! That made my day!

cp

However, IMO Delos is not to be missed--amazing history and completely deserted, so you can really get a sense of what life must have been like 'back when'. Not like going to the Acropolis with 5 million of your closest friends living below.

cp

I completely agree! I loved Delos.

You really don't need a car--it is a very small island and you will be right in the town on the waterfront. The town is really quaint and you can just meander up and down the winding streets. Good shopping and restaurants all over the place. There is a beach right there--although we were there in November and no one was using it. It's one of the easiest ports ever for doing on your own. However, IMO Delos is not to be missed--amazing history and completely deserted, so you can really get a sense of what life must have been like 'back when'. Not like going to the Acropolis with 5 million of your closest friends living below.

When I was in Mykonos in 1998 I bought a beautiful and for me very extravagant gold Greek Key necklace for $2000. A whopping amount of money. Found the same shop in November, and a similar necklace is selling now for $10,000 euros! That made my day!

cp

What is the public transportation like in Mykonos? We'd like to see the entire island if possible and not just the port. Can you purchase tickets in town for Delos?

Thanks,

chester

Delos is not to be missed, You can easily navigate on your own.

But do be aware that Delos closes early. If your ships docks at Mykonos for the whole day, do Delos first, you will still have plenty of time to do Mykonos. If your ship doesn't dock until mid-day (as ours did), you might consider doing the Delos tour through the ship as it may be iffy to do it on your own that late in the day. I don't remember the times off-hand, but it seems there was only one other ferry headed to Delos after we docked and I wasn't 100% sure I could get off the ship and into town with enough time to purchase a ticket and make the ferry.

But do be aware that Delos closes early. If your ships docks at Mykonos for the whole day, do Delos first, you will still have plenty of time to do Mykonos. If your ship doesn't dock until mid-day (as ours did), you might consider doing the Delos tour through the ship as it may be iffy to do it on your own that late in the day. I don't remember the times off-hand, but it seems there was only one other ferry headed to Delos after we docked and I wasn't 100% sure I could get off the ship and into town with enough time to purchase a ticket and make the ferry.

I believe Delos closes at 2 PM (maybe 3?).

When I was researching our Eastern Med trip last year, the last ferry to Delos from Mykonos left at 12:30. Since we docked at 14:30, our only option was to take the ship's tour. The snack bar on Delos was still open at 16:00, but possibly they stayed open late to accommodate our tour.

Archived